NEW MSI B550 UNIFY better than X570 UNIFY??

Associate
Another forum suggested running Aida64 cache benchmark for awhile. L3 cache copy test. It can help eliminate it.

I do wonder how this stuff gets into the final production chain. Surely in testing someone you know put a cpu, ram, gpu into the board... powered it up and then hopefully actually did stuff? It's been reported by many people it's not just a low amount of boards.

Associate
@mickyflinn Well this one has the problem as well. Not as loud as the other one, but clearly audible. It literally sounds like if someone was getting electrocuted inside the VRM constantly. I hate this. Now I dont know what I am going to do ughh

Associate
Do you think it could be down to the psu ?
Its a brand new PSU, I bought an RM850x last week. This issue did not happen with the Taichi though. I had bought a new PSU because I thought it was the reason for my 3080 issues. Bought a new one, red lights still appeared. Changed motherboards and the 3080 is fixed, now I have coil whine on the VRMs. I honestly have an X570 Unify here as well, bought it first, couldnt cancel because it was weekend so they delivered it anyways. Tomorrow they are going to pick up the X570 Unify which is sealed, and the faulty B550. I am really tempted to connect the X570 Unify and see how it behaves.

Last edited:
Associate
Oh man, feel for you.

If you go back to x570 they have vrm fans will that bother you ?
At this point I dont really care, I want something to work :/ I am going to try the X570 Unify, it the coil whine is gone it was the boards, if its still there then I will have to find the fault

Last edited:
Associate
Makes sense.
Well after testing the X570 Unify, the problem is still there. At this point I dont think I am so unlucky that I got 3 boards with the same issue. I tried using the stock RM850x cables, along with the Corsair Premium cables and nothing. Tried a different outlet, nothing. It might be the new PSU after all. The odd thing is that it did not do this on my Taichi.

Edit: All the cable management has gone to **** by doing all this, so I am going to remove everything from the case to clean it while I am at it, and I am going to install everything back on the Taichi just to double check.

Man of Honour
Well after testing the X570 Unify, the problem is still there. At this point I dont think I am so unlucky that I got 3 boards with the same issue. I tried using the stock RM850x cables, along with the Corsair Premium cables and nothing. Tried a different outlet, nothing. It might be the new PSU after all. The odd thing is that it did not do this on my Taichi.

Edit: All the cable management has gone to **** by doing all this, so I am going to remove everything from the case to clean it while I am at it, and I am going to install everything back on the Taichi just to double check.
Maybe it showed up in a diffrent way with the tachi, do a bench build.

There was a bad batch of corsair psu made between certain dates that have been recalled according some other threads.

Let us know how you get on.

Associate
Maybe it showed up in a diffrent way with the tachi, do a bench build.

There was a bad batch of corsair psu made between certain dates that have been recalled according some other threads.

Let us know how you get on.
Just set up a bench build with the Taichi and the problem is still there. It seems to be coming from the pump on my AIO? What are the coincidences that it starts the same day as I changed my motherboard.I really dont get it.

Associate
Are you sure the aio wasnt causing the noise on the unify boards ?
It could be, the noise started when I switched from the Taichi to the Unify for the first time. Was it mere coincidence that the pump/motor broke at the same time as I changed the board? When builds where in the case it was really hard to distinguish if the noise was the issue or the pump because they are pretty much in the same place and you can only stick your head in so much lol But now that it just a board in a table, I can get as close as I need.

Man of Honour
It could be, the noise started when I switched from the Taichi to the Unify for the first time. Was it mere coincidence that the pump/motor broke at the same time as I changed the board? When builds where in the case it was really hard to distinguish if the noise was the issue or the pump because they are pretty much in the same place and you can only stick your head in so much lol But now that it just a board in a table, I can get as close as I need.
Do you have another cpu cooler to try ?

Associate
Disconnect the pump cable and listen out for noise should be ok for a minute before temps get high.
Just tried that, even after pulling the AIO cable the noise still occurs. Changed GPU to a 5700XT just out of curiosity and it didnt make a difference. So is it the VRMs making noise because the new PSU went bad after a week?

Man of Honour
Just tried that, even after pulling the AIO cable the noise still occurs. Changed GPU to a 5700XT just out of curiosity and it didnt make a difference. So is it the VRMs making noise because the new PSU went bad after a week?
Could be but do you still have a unify board ? if the results are the same on the unify i would suspect the psu.

Associate
Could be but do you still have a unify board ? if the results are the same on the unify i would suspect the psu.
Yeah. It has been the same with the X570 Unify, B550 Unify, and now my Taichi (which it didnt before). I guess the board is receiving **** current from the PSU and its making the VRMs sing.

Back
Top Bottom