My TX4 London Black Taxi Project

Soldato
OP
This was supposed to be delivered to a mates house before Christmas but copart didn't do it. His house is literally 5 min drive down the road from their sandy base, which is handy as we arranged for him to collect it but it says it's not possible to drive cars away, you have to at least tow. I asked how much for delivery and it was 60quid so thought that would do. Now been on the phone to them again and it's "out for delivery" which is nice but no one has called my mate to tell him. I can't make any plans to collect it until he's got it and given it a once over, as apparently "run and drive" as a category is a loose term. Doesn't mean it turns, stops or runs without hideous noise so best he checks it over and then I can arrange the great taxi collection.

Soldato
OP
It's at my mates house. I ordered a booster pack and trickle charger for it so he can keep it topped up. He said it's sagging a bit to one side (I heard a lot that these need new shocks due to load etc) but seems OK on loose inspection. Oh, aside from the headlights not working.

So, the plan, this is the worst time in the world to do anything, but my mate is getting ear from his Mrs for there being a taxi on his drive so I need to get it off and back here. I'm taking the most direct train from basel via paris to St Pancras tomorrow at 8am. I should arrive at the car by 4pm. I have insured the car, it has MOT until May. I'm waiting on the V5 to arrive here at home so I can Tax it though, which is a pain as it's still not here.

I have filled in my form to enter the UK, I have had a COVID test this morning too and will have my results by the time I set off.

I don't want to interact with anyone really lol so the plan is straight there on the train and then jump in the car and start to make my way to Enfield where I have a click and collect booked at their Tesco at 9pm. I am bringing a sleeping bag, basic tool set, my work electronics (incase I get stuck!), cable ties and duct tape :D I'm going to sleep in the taxi Friday night and then head directly to the tunnel Sat morning and head right back.

Lots of variables here for things to go horribly but you know :p Let's see how this goes...

Soldato
OP
He's got the headlights working so there is that...which is great. Means I can try and get what I can done and get back over here hopefully all still on friday.

Bad news? The drivers window won't wind up :p I've got my little tool set packed, so I'm sure I'll be able to sort something out anyway, but worst case, plastic and duct tape (oh and I've packed a hat!)

I'm going to try and document it all on camera as well, hopefully in a good way lol which will go up on our youtube machine!

Just to point out, that technically your going to be breaching UK rules so well worth thinking about your excuses in advance

There is definatly less traffic about with lockdown so the chances of being considered worth pulling have gone up on every journey

I am even considering not going to collect my 3070 thats waiting for collection!

Associate
Just to point out, that technically your going to be breaching UK rules so well worth thinking about your excuses in advance

There is definatly less traffic about with lockdown so the chances of being considered worth pulling have gone up on every journey

I am even considering not going to collect my 3070 thats waiting for collection!

Pretty unlikely to be stopped in a taxi - Not seen many taxi drivers working from home.:p

I'm also sure collecting a car can be classed as important? In basic form :D

Pretty unlikely to be stopped in a taxi - Not seen many taxi drivers working from home.:p

I'm also sure collecting a car can be classed as important? In basic form :D

Yes maybe less likely to be pulled in a taxi but the risk for everyone has gone up due to very low traffic volumes in general. Also depends if black cabs operate in the areas of course, whats the number plate etc

No way they would consider picking a car up as necessary.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
This is amazing, but does seem like one hell of a lot of hassle just to get hold of an old Taxi :p

Caporegime
"Better post about my illegal journey on a public forum with pictures of the car i'll be driving with the numberplate on show. May as well film it for good measure!" :rolleyes:

Bonus points for not being able to roll down the window when you get pulled over, fined, and have your taxi confiscated. :p

Big smorts. Should probably at least keep quiet about it until its done. ;)

Last edited:
Man of Honour

I don't know about the taxi but in your case stores can open for click and collect therefore you must be able to go and collect without being shot on sight surely.

Soldato
OP
I do agree with you 100% and I wouldn't go if it wasn't at a mate's place and causing him wife issues! My worry is that we'll have further restrictions coming into play in the next couple of weeks and it'll be stuck for months. It'll definitely put a lot of issues on to my friend, which I don't want. Technically this is bought under my business for advertising, so when you look at the exceptions, it says you can travel for businesses if it's necessary... it doesn't classify what that is. It's very loose as always but I have gone through all documentation from both sides. I took the covid test, even though it's not a must have, but I wanted to avoid any issues if possible and make sure. I am going to be as prepared as physically possible though! I really don't want to interact with anyone. I have a ton of masks ready, I have a huge lot of alcohol gel and I will get in and back out without contact. I'm even going to make sure I use pay at pump stops for fuel. When I return I'm going to self isolate for 5 days in my office at home and then go for another covid test after that to make sure I'm clear. It's not about me but everyone else, so I will be as physically safe as I can be. I'm not usually this thorough about things, but I believe it should be taken seriously so you know.

"Better post about my illegal journey on a public forum with pictures of the car i'll be driving with the numberplate on show. May as well film it for good measure!" :rolleyes:
Haven't you got a shed to go and polish? It's definitely a grey area and ill advised but not illegal.

Soldato
OP
Seems you're the new king of the sheds with your sight unseen moon miles broken taxi. :p
Can't argue that one tbh :p

Are you sure its not illegal?
I have spent hours searching through information from both the French and UK sides about it, and I couldn't find anything to state it is illegal. Just as @HoneyBadger put it, "being a tit" might be a better description. Not advised. Against logic. Defying recommendations. Stupid, even.

Back
Top Bottom