Wheels stiff

Soldato
Going to try explain this as well as I can, but car starts fine but when I first start off I have to give it some welly to get the car to move it feels like the wheels are locked. You get a bit of a racket then slowly you can get going.

what’s the score with that?

Caporegime
Is this every time you set off, or only after it’s been sitting a while?

Either way it’ll most likely be brake related, but if it’s only doing it after sitting a while, try not using the handbrake whilst parked up, just park in gear/park.

If it’s doing it every time then you’ve probably got a sticky caliper that might be loosening up as it gets warm.

Man of Honour
I'm having similar after taking my pickup in for a service - I'm suspecting they've over done replacing brake fluid :( being an automatic I find that not putting the brake in so far when changing into drive it doesn't tend to happen (might also be a brake sticking a bit and not fully releasing).

Associate
Is it not your discs rusting overnight in the damp/wet weather? They kinda feel like they stick, but it's no problem and just minor surface rust that rubs off after the first brake use...

Soldato
Is it not your discs rusting overnight in the damp/wet weather? They kinda feel like they stick, but it's no problem and just minor surface rust that rubs off after the first brake use...

Pretty much this, it's quite normal, especially if your car sits still for some time. I remember first time i'd experienced it i thought the brakes had completely locked on. Bit of welly forward and they released. I think that was towards the end of pads/discs and new ones don't do it anymore.

My brake discs keep getting rusty also, so I covered them in thick grease today, I'll let you know how I get in tomorrow when I drive the car.

lol.

Soldato
OP
Have you been using your car as normal or has it been parked up for most of the time? If the latter it may get better with some use. If not then best get it checked out.

I’ve been in week in work one week at home, I would say the car might be sat no longer than a week. I guess it’s never sat that long really.

It might just be in my head but it feels like it scrapes until I break a few times before getting of the cul de sac.

Soldato
Could be guide pins in caliper, sounds like you need to remove calipers and check things out, could be a stuck caliper piston also.

Man of Honour
I'm having similar after taking my pickup in for a service - I'm suspecting they've over done replacing brake fluid :( being an automatic I find that not putting the brake in so far when changing into drive it doesn't tend to happen (might also be a brake sticking a bit and not fully releasing).
I don't think that's likely - if you have ever seen a brake fluid reservoir, the fill level is almost always only a few mm below the actual cap level. It's pretty hard to overfill a hydraulic braking system due to that.

Soldato

Have you got a Navara? I found the one I had did something similar when 4WD was engaged.

Man of Honour
I don't think that's likely - if you have ever seen a brake fluid reservoir, the fill level is almost always only a few mm below the actual cap level. It's pretty hard to overfill a hydraulic braking system due to that.

I've not got around to checking it yet but I seem to recall the max line being some way below the cap on my Navara.

Have you got a Navara? I found the one I had did something similar when 4WD was engaged.

Yeah - it isn't in 4WD though.

Soldato
Just sounds like brakes sticking with rust in the damp weather, especially so if it's only doing it after it's been sat for a day or two.

Classic symptoms, bit of effort to move off with a clunk and then a horrible scraping noise the first couple of times you brake and then as if nothing had happened.

Back
Top Bottom