• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Second hand price insanity!

Soldato
Ok thanks, I refuse to sell on ebay so might put it up on here but worried I wont be able to get a replacement when the time comes I think the shortage will only get worse so need to weigh up no PC vs more money

Yeh I think if you sell now you definitely have to resign yourself to possibly not having a gaming card for a few months. I'm lucky that I had a spare 290 sitting around and I only game at 1080p, still quite surprised how good it's holding up.

I just missed out on a few £350 5700xt's which would have been a lovely free upgrade, still keeping my eye out! But I am expecting a 3060Ti upgrade before summer.

Also, if you do sell on Ebay I did a few things like fully insured postage, I marked my gpu with a UV pen, serial number in the ebay listing , took photos etc to be safe as I know Ebay always sides with buyers even if I have stated no returns.

Associate
Also, if you do sell on Ebay I did a few things like fully insured postage, I marked my gpu with a UV pen, serial number in the ebay listing , took photos etc to be safe as I know Ebay always sides with buyers even if I have stated no returns.

Its also important to read and follow the PayPal Seller Protection policy, I will not send anything over £20 that isn't tracked/signed for. Ultimately though the higher the value of the item the greater the risk of attempted fraud from either buyers or sellers, anyone thinking of buying/selling £500 worth of GPU on ebay needs to think that through.

Associate
Its also important to read and follow the PayPal Seller Protection policy, I will not send anything over £20 that isn't tracked/signed for. Ultimately though the higher the value of the item the greater the risk of attempted fraud from either buyers or sellers, anyone thinking of buying/selling £500 worth of GPU on ebay needs to think that through.

Great info regarding the UV pen! Didn't think of that. If I can't sort out my current GPU thermal throttling problem myself then I'll be putting my 3080 on fleabay this week, where would you suggest to use the pen? PCB and fan casing etc?

Associate
OP
High value items i only sell cash on collection and i prefer to use Facebook marketplace as there are no charges. Ebay has become so dodgy over the last couple of years i wont take the chance. Even if it means waiting longer to sell or taking a slightly lower price!

G J

G J

Associate
I'm refreshing ebay, checking the for sale in the MM and have a wanted thread in the MM and its worse the the last mining boom.

Make sure you have a replacement ready before you sell your card as I'm sure everyones running bots now. :mad: :D

Though running some old games at 720p on a Intel UHD 630 has been.... intresting.:eek:

Soldato
Interesting thing is that if you listen to the financial experts they are saying that investing in cards is a bad plan because while the currencies justify it right now, they are expecting the bubble to at least deflate shortly. That may mean that paying scalped prices for a card is not such a good idea because you won't even get to break even before the $/day collapses. course the experts have been wrong before now. No one really knows what will happen.

It's also a real risk for Nvidia, AMD and retailers and their stock prices. What may happen is that the bubble will burst and release shed loads of second hand stock back out to the market at race-to-the-bottom prices. It certainly impacted demand for some previous gens and it could happen again.

If this mining bubble bursts around the same time that supply chaims improve, it could hurt retail GPU sales very hard. Who knows though?

Regardless of how we feel about mining, it's certainly made GPU prices very elastic in recent years. That can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on when gamers need an upgrade.

Last edited:
Associate
High value items i only sell cash on collection and i prefer to use Facebook marketplace as there are no charges. Ebay has become so dodgy over the last couple of years i wont take the chance. Even if it means waiting longer to sell or taking a slightly lower price!

but the flip side to that is a buyer paying cash on collection and getting ripped off unfortunately

Associate
I'm refreshing ebay, checking the for sale in the MM and have a wanted thread in the MM and its worse the the last mining boom.

Make sure you have a replacement ready before you sell your card as I'm sure everyones running bots now. :mad: :D

Though running some old games at 720p on a Intel UHD 630 has been.... intresting.:eek:

I've been tempted to sell my 1080ti recently since prices seem to be pretty high for them but not having a replacement is kinda putting me off. There's not many places I trust to sell online and i don't yet hav access to MM :(

Associate
by the look of it brand new cards' price had also gone up across many of the mainstream vendors. aftermarket 3070 goes for 670 in the likes of MSI ventus 3 fan. had my chance but refused to pay that price for a rather below par card.

Associate
At the end of the day you have to ask yourselves do i really need to be gaming on a PC or can i forget about gaming for six months or maybe to the end of year if you can then sell into this up lift while the going is good.

From a component point of view i am stripped down to the basics and maybe i will sell whats left at what are some very good pricing offers at this point in time.

Last edited:
Soldato
I remember a thread on here just before ampere released where people were saying it's crazy to spend more than £400 for an RTX 2080ti during the panic sell off.

Soldato
Got rid of my 5700XT and put my trusty R9 390 back in. All I reallly need to play League of Legends @ 1440P. Certainly won't be paying inflated prices anytime soon. Maybe even skip this gen altogether if prices don't come down.

Soldato
The ironic thing now is that the reason there was such a clamour for ampere was the value it offered over Turing with 80 class cards coming in at £650 and 480 for 70 class cards, now any of that value has really been lost and ampere has become a Turing MK2 with 80 cards going for 900+ and 70 for £700+, even the 60tis are now at £550, yet people are still buying them up frantically. I wonder if they had launched at these prices would people have been so keen to part with their money.

Gibbo's first post on ampere, where did it all go wrong.

RTX 3090, 3080 and 3070 are now ONLINE at Overclockers UK for your viewing pleasure.
You cannot place pre-orders yet but you can on the following dates:
- 3090 September 24th 2pm
- 3080 September 17th 2pm
- 3070 October

We expect good volume on these cards and the performance on offer is absolutely incredible and the pricing is even more impressive, NVIDIA have an absolute HIT on their hands here, these cards are going to sell in their thousands especially as they are launching in peak season and offer performance vastly beyond anything else with some incredible feature set and many USP's.

Last edited:
Associate
I currently have a FE 1080ti would anyone know a rough price for it? I think for myself I would like to just sell this card get a new 3080 and replace my 650w psu.

I think it's going to get worse still with miners buying up any gpu's they can get their hands on. We all know that Nvidia are not going to do anything for the gamers so I think it's best to buy what you can now and possibly wait another 2 years until someone decent happens.

What are everyone else's thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom