What is the requirement to post on the crypto sub forum?

Associate
One of my thread was moved there and I can no longer reply to it.

What is the current requirement to post in that sub form? I searched everywhere and there doesn't appear to be any requirement indicators.

Thanks in advance.

Man of Honour
Maybe the requirements are a secret that you have to decrypt :)

I couldn't resist.

I don't know the answer. It seems to be working for me - I can view your thread and it's not marked as closed. I didn't try posting because I have nothing to say in it. My guess would be that there's a post count requirement and/or a forum membership duration requirement, but that is just a guess.

Associate
OP
Maybe the requirements are a secret that you have to decrypt :)

I couldn't resist.

I don't know the answer. It seems to be working for me - I can view your thread and it's not marked as closed. I didn't try posting because I have nothing to say in it. My guess would be that there's a post count requirement and/or a forum membership duration requirement, but that is just a guess.

given your join date and post counts I don’t think there are anywhere in the forum you can’t go :)

Caporegime

What is the current requirement to post in that sub form? I searched everywhere and there doesn't appear to be any requirement indicators.

Thanks in advance.
if you send me one btc I can get you in

Man of Honour
given your join date and post counts I don’t think there are anywhere in the forum you can’t go :)

I came for the hardware (the original location of the physical shop is quite local to me, so I was there first and found the forums afterwards) and stayed for the forums. These forums are one of the more friendly and reasonable places online as well as being a good place to get answers. I might have been here earlier than the date shown - there was a reset of sorts a while back. My first purchase that I remember from OcUK was a whole PC using the then recent Athlon CPU. Slot A, the original. 600MHz! The first 3rd party chipset had just come out, so that'll narrow down the time...early/mid 2000.

I don't buy much hardware nowadays. Partly because prices have increased to more than I'm willing to pay (e.g. £800 for a midrange graphics card) and partly because my approach to PC hardware has changed from "that's new so I want it" to "what I already have works well enough". But I like these forums.

Soldato
I don't buy much hardware nowadays. Partly because prices have increased to more than I'm willing to pay (e.g. £800 for a midrange graphics card) and partly because my approach to PC hardware has changed from "that's new so I want it" to "what I already have works well enough". But I like these forums.

Same, my only piece of computer equipment is my work laptop which i'm able to use for personal browsing etc too and so there's no real need for anything else beyond that it's all phones/tablets/android tv boxes!

Don

Thanks in advance.
Yeah, there's a minimum post count and membership time to access the crypto forum (was getting bombarded with spam posts), you should be able to access though now (or at least today as some point) as you meet both requirements.

Associate
OP
Your post was all about your master plan to destroy a crypto currency. I'd guess you're not welcome in there.

Heh, I am not much of a miner (but I do mine), but I am against it on principal grounds (creating money by doing useless things). IMO money / wealth is created by doing work society finds valuable such as building a house, or car, or computer games for entertainment. Mining does none of that, just solving useless hashes.

Hell even WoW gold farming is more about wealth creation as you are generating something for someone else's entertainment.

Soldato
Heh, I am not much of a miner (but I do mine), but I am against it on principal grounds (creating money by doing useless things). IMO money / wealth is created by doing work society finds valuable such as building a house, or car, or computer games for entertainment. Mining does none of that, just solving useless hashes.

Hell even WoW gold farming is more about wealth creation as you are generating something for someone else's entertainment.

It is a real shame that all that processing power isn't doing anything useful, has any cryptocurrency tried to put all that processing power to good use? Work on scientific / medial research etc

Associate
OP
You need to have 5 x 3080 RTX

Those are rookie numbers, you can’t generate graphics card shortage at that kind of numbers, try 50

crypto-mining-rig-78-geforce-rtx-3080-gpus-rgb.jpg

Caporegime
It is a real shame that all that processing power isn't doing anything useful, has any cryptocurrency tried to put all that processing power to good use? Work on scientific / medial research etc

The power is kinda being used to validate the ledger and keep the books balanced, that is what the miners are being rewarded for. If the processing is used for other means, then what keeps the ledger going?

Soldato
The power is kinda being used to validate the ledger and keep the books balanced, that is what the miners are being rewarded for. If the processing is used for other means, then what keeps the ledger going?
the actual updating of the shared ledger is not intensive at all, the right to update it(and earn the bitcoin) by brute forcing the result /target of the sha256 algorithm ( the result of the ledgers in the block, well the merkle tree of them and the hash of the last block and Afew other details ran through sha 256)
Isn't the idea to make it infeasible to alter a block as the power needed is immense as all blocks linked together by the hash of the previous block?
Afew other cryptos doing proof of stake now

Last edited:
Associate
Is it possible to disclose the specific number of posts required before having sufficient permission to contribute to the thread? I think I qualify on time served.

Back
Top Bottom