LG CX or Samsung Q80T

Caporegime
It really comes down to personal preference, OLED picture quality is undoubtedly brilliant in terms of dark scenes but at the other end of the spectrum (bright scenes) they have downsides such as (risk of) burn in and ABL (automatic brightness limiter). It's not all rosy.

Soldato
The ABL I've never really noticed aside from the Nvidia control panel when I full screen that with HDR the screen dims and I have the lower end BX, but I've been playing Horizon Zero Dawn and this seems to have some of the brightest HDR I've seen out of anything and no ABL as far as I can see.

Caporegime
ABL is mainly noticeable on a largely white screen when pure white will become a mucky grey, it's not really HDR related it's just that the screen has a power consumption limit that comes into play when most of the pixels are lit up (even in SDR). Obviously the brighter you have your OLED set the more obvious it will be. My point is neither technology is perfect, it really comes down to whether you prefer perfect whites at all times or perfect blacks at all times. Movie buffs tend to prefer blacks because they sit in the dark and have dimly calibrated sets.

Last edited:
Soldato
ABL is mainly noticeable on a largely white screen when pure white will become a mucky grey, it's not really HDR related it's just that the screen has a power consumption limit that comes into play when most of the pixels are lit up (even in SDR). Obviously the brighter you have your OLED set the more obvious it will be. My point is neither technology is perfect, it really comes down to whether you prefer perfect whites at all times or perfect blacks at all times. Movie buffs tend to prefer blacks because they sit in the dark and have dimly calibrated sets.

So what? How does that apply to the OP's question? Both TV's have very similar peak brightness in HDR.

The LG CX is a better TV than the Samsung Q80T.

Soldato
£1299 for a TV is still a very difficult pill to swallow, even if doing 24 months repayment.

If you can't afford it, don't buy it. No improvement in picture quality is worth putting yourself into debt over.

Pick a budget, buy the best TV you can afford within that budget. Is there anything wrong with your current TV?

EDIT: when you say series X? what exact TV are you talking about?

Soldato
£1299 for a TV is still a very difficult pill to swallow

I wasn't sure why you had excluded Sony xg/xh, or panasonic 940 (all FALDish) from your consideration , whilst the cx has fixed the low bitrate noise reduction from previous generations, Sony+Pan sets (good motion/upscaling) haven't evolved much since 2019, so a sub £1K model from them is viable.
I remain happy with an older Panasonic (pre vestels) reliability, but do have reservations on Samsung quality, even if the guarantee covers most things.

Soldato
I had a C9 that I recently swapped for a Q80T

The C9 (and by extension the CX) has a noticeably better picture, but after just 6 months it was starting to show signs of burn in due to the way I was using it, so decided to change it for the Samsung.

Caporegime
OP
Why are you considering the above 2 TV's then?

As someone mentioned above. What price would you be happier with?
Thing is I don't want to compromise, if I went with QLED, I have FOMO of OLED, but then the worry of burn in may prevent me from fully enjoying the TV as I don't want to have to think about playing games with static HUD elements for hours at a time.

I want to experience HDR, but again, I don't want that to be diluted by a poor peak brightness, I want 4k/120hz/VRR for the Series X and FALD Dimming appears to always create bloom no matter how many zones it has.

Soldato
and FALD Dimming appears to always create bloom no matter how many zones it has.
re-posting a recent discourse on that -
True, but what you have to consider is that your eyes naturally introduce blooming that you see on LCD TVs, so while a camera can differentiate between OLED vs a high quality FALD LCD TV, your eyes can't so much - I think MiniLED will be an excellent compromise between the two technologies.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/why-does-my-lg-cx-bloom.2321853/
the sonys+pans I mentioned are 100hz eg. 55xh9005 £850

Soldato
Thing is I don't want to compromise, if I went with QLED, I have FOMO of OLED, but then the worry of burn in may prevent me from fully enjoying the TV as I don't want to have to think about playing games with static HUD elements for hours at a time.

I want to experience HDR, but again, I don't want that to be diluted by a poor peak brightness, I want 4k/120hz/VRR for the Series X and FALD Dimming appears to always create bloom no matter how many zones it has.

You are going to have to compromise. Because every TV has it's issues.

Pick a budget and stick to it. Buy the best TV for your needs in that budget and forget about what's coming down the line or what's else is out there. £1299 is obviously out of your price range.

Caporegime
So what? How does that apply to the OP's question? Both TV's have very similar peak brightness in HDR.

HDR usually affects about 10% of the screen, if that. As soon as you approach full screen white the OLED goes down to 150nits or so (even in SDR) whereas the 80T will happily do several hundred nits full screen white. It's better in cases where you have bright screens. OP is asking which is better I'm telling him it's swings and roundabouts, if you want perfect blacks get the OLED, if you want largely white screens not to dim to a mucky grey get the LCD.

1:15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67VTe_mfnfA

That guy is a bit hyperbolic but the dimming on white screens is still jarring in use, especially if you're used to bright LCD's.

I see it in Sky's Premier League coverage when the white background and EPL logo transitions to replays etc, it also affects the shade of the blue in the logo as the screen brightness fluctuates. You also see it a lot in adverts that have a white background and any other time the screen is filled with white.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom