NZXT H1

Associate
You might have to bear with me here, as this is my first case with an AIO, but it it supposed to gurgle?

It's more of a scratchy sound, which I assume is the pump, but I have only recently noticed it.

Associate
I was really shocked at how offhand OC customer service was to me. First he told me it's a different case but I assured him it was the H1. He bluntly told me to return both cases for a refund. I explained that NZXT has said they are working on a fix for it and how disruptive pulling apart 2 work PC's will be. His response was we don't make it, not our problem, send it back and get a refund! I asked why there's been no contact on the matter from OC he just said we haven't gotten around to it.. he was so couldn't care/not bothered I just hung up.

I think you will have to either get a refund or wait for nzxt or fix it yourself I like I did with nylon screw and bolt.

I have customised my h1 and not going to take the psu out and put the old one back etc. Especially when a couple of pounds fixed the entire issue.

Associate
I think you will have to either get a refund or wait for nzxt or fix it yourself I like I did with nylon screw and bolt.

I have customised my h1 and not going to take the psu out and put the old one back etc. Especially when a couple of pounds fixed the entire issue.

Thanks, I saw your post earlier and followed the fix for piece of mind (my kids wake up early and borrow my wife's H1 to play minecraft/roblox before we're up) zip ties for now nylon nuts on order. I've done the fix on one of the PC's this one I'm on a work thing so can't switch it off yet. After taking out the screws its kinda scary; they have a metal screw, too large for the PCB hole, fixed to a metal bracket, the screw cuts into the case which makes metal shavings. Metal shavings + electrical is really bad, you can use wire wool and a battery to start a fire https://youtu.be/7dmzyZIaTXs?t=69, they warn you about it with machining and welding and it seems that is the case with the H1.

Associate
Thanks, I saw your post earlier and followed the fix for piece of mind (my kids wake up early and borrow my wife's H1 to play minecraft/roblox before we're up) zip ties for now nylon nuts on order. I've done the fix on one of the PC's this one I'm on a work thing so can't switch it off yet. After taking out the screws its kinda scary; they have a metal screw, too large for the PCB hole, fixed to a metal bracket, the screw cuts into the case which makes metal shavings. Metal shavings + electrical is really bad, you can use wire wool and a battery to start a fire https://youtu.be/7dmzyZIaTXs?t=69, they warn you about it with machining and welding and it seems that is the case with the H1.

I just rubbed it all down and put the nylon screw and bolt on there. You can also get plastic washers and add them in between as well if you are worried. This pc is also used by my kids and family so £8 for a massive box of nylon fittings is here not there.

I also emailed nzxt as they keep asking for my receipt. I showed them how I had temporarily fixed it for now and stated I had put the info on forums and Reddit but heard nothing back

Last edited:
Associate
You might have to bear with me here, as this is my first case with an AIO, but it it supposed to gurgle?

It's more of a scratchy sound, which I assume is the pump, but I have only recently noticed it.

Mystery solved. The splitter cable I was using to feed the two 140mm fans on my custom back panel was rubbing on the fan. I done derped.

Associate
@Mark011 what's the noise like from the pump at idle? I've found in the past pump noise to be quiet irritating when doing desktop stuff / no load. You can run fans pretty slow to produce next to no noise but AIOs seem to constantly put out a noise.

@LiE I realise a few months have gone by since your message but, with reference to the loudness of the NZXT h1 pump fan in case anyone else is interested. . Yes it is a loud whine (in a silent room) as the post below your initial one said, because it's running full speed all the time. Fine for gaming however general pc work it is a bit of a 'small hill to die on' for those of sensitive hearing! (and it'll wear the pump out quicker surely).
However, there is a solution. In my MSI mobo bios I set the Pump fan to "DC", this then allowed me to set a custom fan profile (in the bios) and lo and behold I now have a silent pc! Massive difference for me.

I set it to come on at 30deg c, stay constant (1800rpm ish) until 50deg when it then shoot up to the max from there to 80degrees (stays at max from there). [I don't claim that this is the 'best' or 'safest' way to do it, there may be better/more appropriate temps and i'm happy to hear opinions].
2200rpm is about the speed when it begins to be heard for me, so anything below that is 'silent'.
Note the reason i set it to stay on permanently is that it was flicking/clicking (noise) on and off at around 30degrees which was a bit annoying, (due to the angle of the fan profile line between the first and second reference points). It seems to need 3.86 volts in order to come on and this is about 1800 rpm, which is silent, i just set it to that until 50deg when it ramps up as described above.

I *was* considering swapping it out for air cooled but I now love the case!

Associate
@LiE I realise a few months have gone by since your message but, with reference to the loudness of the NZXT h1 pump fan in case anyone else is interested. . Yes it is a loud whine (in a silent room) as the post below your initial one said, because it's running full speed all the time. Fine for gaming however general pc work it is a bit of a 'small hill to die on' for those of sensitive hearing! (and it'll wear the pump out quicker surely).
However, there is a solution. In my MSI mobo bios I set the Pump fan to "DC", this then allowed me to set a custom fan profile (in the bios) and lo and behold I now have a silent pc! Massive difference for me.

Ahh I just assumed everyone did that with DC otherwise I would have said something

Soldato
Finally got around to performing the PCI-E riser mod on the H1 today.

Replaced the normal metal screws with Nylon bolt/washer/nut to prevent any issues with metal connecting with a live 12v current.

ZQRu8BJl.jpg

Nylon set was cheap from Amazon but I will say that I am quite impressed with the selection:

hlRsriMl.jpg

Whilst I had the case apart also added some cooling to the rear to improve GPU thermals:

ecuEg9yl.jpg

Runs off an splitter that I have routed out and through the underside behind the rear panel and is bolted on using longer bolts from the Nylon set above:

bjJXXynl.jpg

Can't see anything from my normal seated position:

lZneGqdl.jpg

So far so good. Temps whilst idle are still high due to the GPU's Zero fan but are not climbing anywhere near as fast. The issue I have found is that the heat generated gets trapped against the front glass panel and thus triggers a pulse from the GPU fans when the temp crosses the Zero fan threshold. Temps whilst loaded were already pretty good so not expecting any miracles there.

Soldato
Anyone had any luck getting both top ports hooked up to motherboard? I've got a new build in the H1 case but it's acting very odd. Neither the type C or A port will detect a pen drive/etc in windows until i goto device manager a force a rescan of hardware.

Not sure if it's hardware or something with Windows. Going to try booting to Linux see if it works as normal.

Back
Top Bottom