Can I legally put a metal garage here in my back garden - grumpy neighbour....

Associate
I wouldn't even bother explaining anything if they kick off. Let them get on with it. I think you've been pretty accommodating already, to this point.

Soldato
Well done for being calm and looking at it from his perspective. The whole Englishman's house is his castle thing can turn nice people into ogres.

He got 54 years out of that shed, sounds like he's one of those old people that view change as a threat and resist it.

Soldato
Well done for being calm and looking at it from his perspective. The whole Englishman's house is his castle thing can turn nice people into ogres.

He got 54 years out of that shed, sounds like he's one of those old people that view change as a threat and resist it.
My thinking too. He's been there forever, someone new has moved in and started changing things and he doesn't like it.

Tea Drinker
Don
The run off of water is a problem, it looks like your bit all falls towards his he probably has a valid complaint.

However by filling the space up with a properly drained garage that drains into your aco channel at the front you are actually solving the issue for him.

OcUK Staff
OP
The run off of water is a problem, it looks like your bit all falls towards his he probably has a valid complaint.

However by filling the space up with a properly drained garage that drains into your aco channel at the front you are actually solving the issue for him.

Yep I even said to him anything I put there will be done correct.

I even said I’d be happy to rebuild that old border wall and replace all the fence panels at my cost and feel I’m being very accommodating considering his shed no doubt violates the true border anyway.

Also just out of curiosity are his two sheds breaking the law by being upto the border and made from timber or are they two small to be classed as a fire hazard.

Even if they are breaking the law how sheds are fine by me because they cause me no harm and there are other houses around so you have to expect to see other houses and sheds if you want a view of just hills and country side you need to build a house or move.

Maybe it is jealousy because in his ramblings I could swear he tried to suggest he does not have a mortgage but we do and that gives him more rights than us. I did not respond at all because we also don’t have a mortgage either and own outright but probably upset him more.

Hopefully he will be fine if not then tough luck for him I guess.

Tea Drinker
Don
@Gibbo his looks fine but there are many convoluted rules out there depending on planning authority and what’s already been built.

Generally it’s 2500mm high within 2000mm of a boundary.

I had the local planners out to make me take one course of bricks off a wall I built to keep it under 2000mm.

What’s the saying it’s easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission???

OcUK Staff
OP
@Gibbo his looks fine but there are many convoluted rules out there depending on planning authority and what’s already been built.

Generally it’s 2500mm high within 2000mm of a boundary.

I had the local planners out to make me take one course of bricks off a wall I built to keep it under 2000mm.

What’s the saying it’s easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission???

Yep, I shall be doing it just wanted to make sure I’m in the right but hey he might be fine once fence panels and wall repair done.

Caporegime
Yeah you're far too nice, and that's coming from someone who's also far too nice.

You could just leave the panels but the fact you're doing them speaks volumes, we did similar at our old house otherwise they'd never have got done.

If he kicks off you could point out the shed he has appear to cross the boundary anyway, bye bye 50 year old shed!

We're looking at putting a purgola up, haven't even thought of looking at planning or anything tbh lol

Soldato
Guy just sounds like a grumpy old *******. Probably thinks he can get you to pay for all sorts too if you have a ferrari :D. Threatening lawyers isn't the best idea in the first place!

Wouldn't it class as a car port or extension if its tied onto your existing garage though or in close proximity to? Is it still within the 30m2 if so? That would be the only thing I'd double check

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
OP
Guy just sounds like a grumpy old *******. Probably thinks he can get you to pay for all sorts too if you have a ferrari :D. Threatening lawyers isn't the best idea in the first place!

Wouldn't it class as a car port or extension if its tied onto your existing garage though or in close proximity to? Is it still within the 30m2 if so? That would be the only thing I'd double check

Well it won’t be connected to that garage and will be it’s own independent building with its own guttering. It will be 15-20m squared. The current one is no doubt over 40m squared.

But from what I could tell from council website and various building planning sites you can use upto 50% of your garden space for out buildings and I’d be looking at under 20% by adding this additional garage.

Soldato
Well it won’t be connected to that garage and will be it’s own independent building with its own guttering. It will be 15-20m squared. The current one is no doubt over 40m squared.

But from what I could tell from council website and various building planning sites you can use upto 50% of your garden space for out buildings and I’d be looking at under 20% by adding this additional garage.
Seems fairly sound to me then if you've checked the local council website etc.

Soldato
I think if you put a black garage there, you'll probably never hear the end of his claims of it soaking up light. If you do get a black garage, paint the walls that face him white - it might be enough to appease him.

I get the impression you're tiptoeing around him while he just does what he likes with no repercussions. I understand why you're doing what you're doing, as you want to avoid an expensive garage being torn down. But I'd suggest to him that he moves his shed away from the fence to avoid future problems. After all, what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. ;)

OcUK Staff
OP
I think if you put a black garage there, you'll probably never hear the end of his claims of it soaking up light. If you do get a black garage, paint the walls that face him white - it might be enough to appease him.

I get the impression you're tiptoeing around him while he just does what he likes with no repercussions. I understand why you're doing what you're doing, as you want to avoid an expensive garage being torn down. But I'd suggest to him that he moves his shed away from the fence to avoid future problems. After all, what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. ;)

To be honest I try to be nice and reasonable but at the same time if I’m totally following the law and not over stepping it well my patience has limits and I’ll tell him to do one.

Here is a picture taken further back showing the current garage as can be seen there is ample space in the rear and his has is to the left where you can see the shed just behind my fence and his other shed on other side fence behind my wheel barrow.

D77EE192-70DA-4E15-B381-F28249A798CB.jpeg

Caporegime
@Gibbo Don't think you're doing anything wrong with that at all. It's not a permanent structure, I'm assuming its height will be around what's there already and it is replacing a previous non-permanent structure. Neighbour is being weird.

OcUK Staff
OP
@Gibbo Don't think you're doing anything wrong with that at all. It's not a permanent structure, I'm assuming its height will be around what's there already and it is replacing a previous non-permanent structure. Neighbour is being weird.

Yes height will be under 2m at edges and under 2.5m at centre apex.

It will be built from none combustible materials to allow it to be built upto the border.

It will have guttering and won’t over hang mine or his fences.

Here is my council guidelines:
https://www.staffsmoorlands.gov.uk/...t_Works_Information_Sheet.pdf?m=1486052122200

GARAGE
The garage is detached and the floor area is less than 30m2 and is to be sited more than 1 metre away from the edge of the land you own unless it is constructed substantially of non-combustible material.

My local council does not even mention height but from what I can tell from researching if it’s within 2m of the boundary border then max height is 2.5m but if it’s 2m away from
Borders it can be upto 4m in height.

Im gonna be putting something there probably the metal garage I posted in OP but am also searching for other options too.

Our plot is a higher elevation compared to houses on the left so no doubt his water issues and concerns over loss of light but it’s natural lay of the land.

Caporegime
@Gibbo where does the guttering drain to? Any surface water pipes or even foul you can drop it in to? That might shut that one down before he even starts. Loss of light is likely to be minimal considering the fence height and what was there already.

Soldato
Hi gibbo just phone your council up ask to be put through to planning speak to them explain what you intend to do and theyll tell you exactly what you need and then theres no comeback
Had to do this myself for a friend whos neighbour was awkward every time my mate did things
Also you did right by taking pics of old shed keep them to prove there was one there before

Back
Top Bottom