Can I legally put a metal garage here in my back garden - grumpy neighbour....

Soldato
Can you not extend it in brick rather than a metal garage or would that require planning permission? I imagine it would look a lot nicer.

I doubt "right to light" is a contestable proponent if it causes a minor shadow at the back of his garden. (rather than onto his property.

Caporegime
Anything within 1 metres cannot be higher than 2 metres adjacent to the ground.

Anything at exactly 1 metre can be 2.5m at its highest.

After that it can go up to 4 metres tall however eaves have to be at maximum 3m high or below.

So you cannot build 2.5m high and put it right up against the boundary without planning permission.

So he is right and wrong and so are you.

You can easily download the file from your local councils website in regards to what is and isn't allowed under permitted development rights.

So you can either have it 2 metres high or put it 1 metre back and have it 2.5 metres high at the sides if it's a flat roof.

If it's not flat then you can angle it and keep within the guidelines I mentioned previously.

I have a picture on my phone which explains it all clearly. However it's not hosted anywhere for me to link.

OcUK Staff
OP

After that it can go up to 4 metres tall however eaves have to be at maximum 3m high or below.

So you cannot build 2.5m high and put it right up against the boundary without planning permission.

You can easily download the file from your local councils website in regards to what is and isn't allowed under permitted development rights.

So you can either have it 2 metres high or put it 1 metre back and have it 2.5 metres high at the sides if it's a flat roof.

If it's not flat then you can angle it and keep within the guidelines I mentioned previously.

I have a picture on my phone which explains it all clearly. However it's not hosted anywhere for me to link.

Are you sure that is correct!
The regs seem to stipulate that maximum height is 2m at the edges but it can apex to a maximum of 2.5m in centre of within 1m of the boundary.

Not that it makes much difference anyway as just stick with a flat 2m roof but plan was to be around 1.8-2.0m and side with an apex roof that reaches close to 2.5m in centre.

The neighbour was trying to claim I can’t build anything within 5m but that rules obviously does not apply to his two sheds lol.

I posted up the link from Moorlands council but they do not mention height but I have emailed them with what I plan to do and shall call them to just confirm.

Caporegime
Are you sure that is correct!
The regs seem to stipulate that maximum height is 2m at the edges but it can apex to a maximum of 2.5m in centre of within 1m of the boundary.

Not that it makes much difference anyway as just stick with a flat 2m roof but plan was to be around 1.8-2.0m and side with an apex roof that reaches close to 2.5m in centre.

The neighbour was trying to claim I can’t build anything within 5m but that rules obviously does not apply to his two sheds lol.

I posted up the link from Moorlands council but they do not mention height but I have emailed them with what I plan to do and shall call them to just confirm.

Let me upload the picture somewhere it explains it perfectly.

Give me 5 minutes

Caporegime
Thank you that seems to suggest what I’m saying if upto to the border then a max of 2m at edges and 2.5m max at centre apex of roof.

It's 2.5m at 1m. You can go up to 4m so long as your eaves are at 3m or below depending on the location. Obviously 2m if right up against the boundary.

So you don't have to limit to 2.5m in the centre. You can go up to 4m without planning permission so long as you follow all the rules.

Soldato
i think the neighbour is just a jealous old sod :)

btw nice plot of land good luck on the build. I plan to build my own gym one day in 2052 lol

Associate

This is wrong. Look at the planning portal link I put on page 1. There is no "1m restriction" for permitted development. It's either within 2m (max height 2.5m), otherwise 2.5m eaves / 4m max height dual pitched.

• Outbuildings and garages to be single storey with maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched roof or three metres for any other roof.
  • Maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse.
https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings

The 1m restriction applies to building regulations, and only then if the building is over 15sqm:

Building a detached garage of less than 30 square metres floor area would not normally need building regulations approval if:

• the floor area of the detached garage is less than 15 square metres.
  • the floor area of the garage is between 15 square metres and 30 square metres, provided the garage is at least one metre from any boundary, or it is constructed substantially of non-combustible materials.
https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings/2

Caporegime
This is wrong. Look at the planning portal link I put on page 1. There is no "1m restriction" for permitted development. It's either within 2m (max height 2.5m), otherwise 2.5m eaves / 4m max height dual pitched.

• Outbuildings and garages to be single storey with maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched roof or three metres for any other roof.
  • Maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse.
https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings

The 1m restriction applies to building regulations, and only then if the building is over 15sqm:

Building a detached garage of less than 30 square metres floor area would not normally need building regulations approval if:

• the floor area of the detached garage is less than 15 square metres.
  • the floor area of the garage is between 15 square metres and 30 square metres, provided the garage is at least one metre from any boundary, or it is constructed substantially of non-combustible materials.
https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings/2

I posted a picture which I've now removed which explained it a lot better.

The pic is from my local planning department.

Probably not explaining it well. But the picture makes everything crystal clear and op has now seen the picture.

OcUK Staff
OP
You're not in a conservation area are you or are there any specific restrictive covenants on the deeds?

I don’t think so our house and our neighbour next to us who is very friendly we’re the original farm houses main land, the farmer sold the patch of land my house resides on in the 1960’s for like £2000 and the house next door is the original farmhouse with an extension as he is a builder and his house is stunning, 7 bedrooms and huge amount of land, he did offer me the original 5 bedroom house at an incredible price but I did not want to share a driveway even though we are very good friends and he has been doing all my building work for me, he also did tell me the grumpy neighbour was talking out of his rear lol and if I wanted too I could even remove the fence panels and post and build a garage right upto the original party wall but I want to try and keep all parties happy but if he tries to insist I can’t have what I want I’ll tell him sod off and build anyway.

Associate
I posted a picture which I've now removed which explained it a lot better.

The pic is from my local planning department.

Probably not explaining it well. But the picture makes everything crystal clear and op has now seen the picture.

The rules are pretty clear. The diagram on p43 posted by alexakasloth is clear too:

https://assets.publishing.service.g...e/830643/190910_Tech_Guide_for_publishing.pdf

So I'm not sure what you could have posted which overrides everything said in all of the previous posts?

PD rights are granted under GDPO and can only be overridden by local councils in certain circumstances. OP would have to check if his PD rights have been revoked. Other than that, the rules are clear and there is no 1m rule further restricting the height of the structure than what has already been said. Why don't you post the picture for all to see if you think otherwise?

Associate
Hi @Gibbo

Some confusing advice on here, no doubt offered in good faith though. Bit of background, I am a Planning Enforcement Officer for a Local Planning Authority (LPA) and I can advise you on planning, I can't advise you on Building Regulations a that is separate legislation.

Home owners can erect outbuilding within the curtilage of their dwellings with the benefit of planning permission granted by The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015 (as amended) [henceforth simply the GPDO2015].

Class E, Part 1, Schedule 2 of the GPDO2015 grants permission for outbuilding subject to the conditions and limitations imposed.

Class E – buildings etc incidental to the enjoyment of a dwellinghouse

Permitted development
E. The provision within the curtilage of the dwellinghouse of—

(a)any building or enclosure, swimming or other pool required for a purpose incidental to the enjoyment of the dwellinghouse as such, or the maintenance, improvement or other alteration of such a building or enclosure; or
(b)a container used for domestic heating purposes for the storage of oil or liquid petroleum gas.

Development not permitted
E.1 Development is not permitted by Class E if—

(a)permission to use the dwellinghouse as a dwellinghouse has been granted only by virtue of Class M, N, P or Q of Part 3 of this Schedule (changes of use);
(b)the total area of ground covered by buildings, enclosures and containers within the curtilage (other than the original dwellinghouse) would exceed 50% of the total area of the curtilage (excluding the ground area of the original dwellinghouse);
(c)any part of the building, enclosure, pool or container would be situated on land forward of a wall forming the principal elevation of the original dwellinghouse;
(d)the building would have more than a single storey;
(e)the height of the building, enclosure or container would exceed—
(i)4 metres in the case of a building with a dual-pitched roof,
(ii)2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within 2 metres of the boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse, or
(iii)3 metres in any other case;
(f)the height of the eaves of the building would exceed 2.5 metres;
(g)the building, enclosure, pool or container would be situated within the curtilage of a listed building;
(h)it would include the construction or provision of a verandah, balcony or raised platform;
(i)it relates to a dwelling or a microwave antenna; or
(j)the capacity of the container would exceed 3,500 litres.

E.2 In the case of any land within the curtilage of the dwellinghouse which is within—

(a)an area of outstanding natural beauty;
(b)the Broads;
(c)a National Park; or
(d)a World Heritage Site,
development is not permitted by Class E if the total area of ground covered by buildings, enclosures, pools and containers situated more than 20 metres from any wall of the dwellinghouse would exceed 10 square metres.

E.3 In the case of any land within the curtilage of the dwellinghouse which is article 2(3) land, development is not permitted by Class E if any part of the building, enclosure, pool or container would be situated on land between a wall forming a side elevation of the dwellinghouse and the boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse.

Interpretation of Class E
E.4. For the purposes of Class E, “purpose incidental to the enjoyment of the dwellinghouse as such” includes the keeping of poultry, bees, pet animals, birds or other livestock for the domestic needs or personal enjoyment of the occupants of the dwellinghouse.

This permission can be removed by your LPA. You should ensure that you obtain all decision notices for any planning permission granted by your LPA for your property and check that none of those permissions had a condition imposed removing Class E from the land.

You should also ensure that the LPA have not withdrawn GPDO permissions using an Articel 4 Direction.

Assuming not then as long as you ensure that your outbuilding is for an incidental purpose, within the curtilage of the dwelling and complies with the limitations listed above at E.1, E.2, E.3 and E.4 then your proposed outbuilding will benefit from planning permission by virtue of the GPDO2015.

This is legislation but the government also provides technical guidance but remember legislation trumps guidance.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.

Darren

Back
Top Bottom