New Alienware Q3 2020

Permabanned
I'm considering the AW3821DW, but am concerned about the resolution (originally I just wanted 3440x1440, but this monitor seems like the only ultrawide that really ticks my boxes). Does anyone have an idea of what kind of performance impact there is coming from a 16:9 1440p display? For demanding games, can you run a standard 16:9 aspect ratio on this or does the resolution make it sit weirdly?

The performance impact is less than the difference in pixels. So going from 3696400 to 6144000 is about 0.6 so multiply your current frame rate by 0.6 and that's about your figure. In fact it won't be that bad, that's your worst case.

For example I would say your minimum requirement for the monitor is a 2070S. That will run most games acceptably at that resolution, but it's not going to wow you. Some of the latest titles it won't even reach 60Hz, but then at least you have GSync. To really start getting the performance singing, you need a 3080.

I have never had an issue running 21:9. Most modern games support the resolution and aspect ratio. Those that don't well, just run those with black lines.

Soldato
Mine arrived today, way ahead of schedule. Very happy with it. No dead pixels. Using it for spreadsheets is NUTS. I have a huge sheet with 15 tabs and I don't even need to scroll the tabs anymore. Looking forwards to really getting to grips with it tonight and seeing how it stacks up against my old Asus IPS, and of course gaming.

Zoom calls are nice as well. Looking forwards to the first time I share my screen though :/

Caporegime
Mine arrived today, way ahead of schedule. Very happy with it. No dead pixels. Using it for spreadsheets is NUTS. I have a huge sheet with 15 tabs and I don't even need to scroll the tabs anymore. Looking forwards to really getting to grips with it tonight and seeing how it stacks up against my old Asus IPS, and of course gaming.

Zoom calls are nice as well. Looking forwards to the first time I share my screen though :/

They are really lovely arent they? I hate going back to my "normal" 32" work screen after working on spreadsheets at home. Having to scroll is horrible :)

Have you received your dispatch email yet? I got mine the day after they delivered it :)

They are much faster than they say they are going to be

Gee

Gee

Soldato
Had the AW2721D on order (managed to get it for £595), with an ETA of April 28th (ordered Feb 26th).

Woke up this morning with an email saying it should be arriving tomorrow! Can't wait.

Gee

Gee

Soldato
Well my AW2721D arrived yesterday (a day early!) and had a play with it last night. I love it.

Noticeable upgrade over my old XG270QG and even though the HDR implementation isn't all that good, to my eyes it looks ace.

Glow is about the same as what my Viewsonic was, mainly in the bottom left corner but aside from that it's all pretty uniform.

Enjoy your purchases guys!

Soldato
Yeah mine didn't even say it shipped. I just had an email from DHL saying it was coming that day and thought it was something else.

With a bit of time with it under my belt I can say that backlight bleed/IPS glow is better than I thought it would be (great uniformity and only the bottom right corner, like right at the edge, is a tad brighter on a pure black screen). I haven't bothered with the HDR stuff because it just doesn't have enough zones to be worth it, but for everything else it has been stellar and I'm a very happy customer. It does install a bit of janky bloatware when you hook it up, so maybe get rid of that command centre stuff when you set it up. I just set the LED colours and got rid (I noticed the services still run so have disabled them).

Playing Elite dangerous and Outriders demo has been great. I spend more time working on it though, and so I plopped my 27in 1440p next to it in portrait for my slack/outlook and then this beast very happily holds two browser windows with no side scrolling or a massive spreadsheet (and the pixel pitch matches my 27in so it is a nice seamless transition between screens once I lined them up). Protip, share individual windows or your colleagues will end up squinting at the display as you share your 3800x1600 display on their 720p laptop displays

I definitely feel like I have a proper battlestation now.

Soldato
Yeah man, I tried to take a picture to capture the scale, but you have to get so far away that it looks small. That desk is 180cm wide

06J3NQSh.jpg

Back
Top Bottom