• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official 5600X \5800X owners thread***

Associate
Just got myself a 5800x - I think this is my first AMD CPU since the Athlon 64? I was fearing a bit of a horror show temperature-wise but have been pleasantly surprised - hovering around 25-30 idle and staying between 65-70 playing cyberpunk / borderlands 3 (I'm using a lian li galahad AIO cooler).

Soldato
Been experimenting again over the past couple of days. Here is a summary of my findings:

• if you have an ASUS motherboard, enabling "Asus performance enhancement" under AI tweaker boosted my R23 cinebench multi core score by 200 points at the cost of 3 degrees in temperature
  • I flashed the latest bios which included the AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.1 patch.
  • Following the flash my 5800X is now boosting up to 5.050 Mhz (up from 5.025 previously)
  • L3 Cache speeds in Aida 64 have increased by around 300 GB/s
  • I was able to boot and test with RAM in coupled mode at 4000 Mhz (M and F clk both at 2000 Mhz). However, this increased my latency score in Aida 64 from 61 to 81ns which of course brought down all other CPU bench scores I tried.
  • I then tried coupled at 3933 (M and F clock at 1967 Mhz). This was completely stable and was with a 2-3 ns in terms of latency compared to my usual setting of 3866 (1933 M & F). Running R23 however, I was losing around a 100 points so 3866 is still performing the best.
Here are some pics showing the difference in L3 cache scores between the bios updates and also the boost to write speeds but slightly worst latency at the higher frequency:

jy6SgGx.png

Associate
So with intel smashing amd on value now, when can we expect amd to drop their prices? Particularly the 5600x?

Are they? Isn't the 11700K launching for £400, what I paid for my 5800X?

Just got myself a 5800x - I think this is my first AMD CPU since the Athlon 64? I was fearing a bit of a horror show temperature-wise but have been pleasantly surprised - hovering around 25-30 idle and staying between 65-70 playing cyberpunk / borderlands 3 (I'm using a lian li galahad AIO cooler).

Nice! I have the same combo (first AMD CPU since Athlon XP 3200+!) and get around 30-35°c idle. It rarely stays there however, it seems to work very differently to Intel and often boosts during small loads and the temp hops to around 40-45°c. In games it's around 50-63°c, but the ones I'm playing ATM aren't that intensive, certainly not to the same degree as Cyberpunk. Very pleased with it!

Caporegime
Well, I just cancelled my 5900x pre-order that I had for months at MSRP. I can't be arsed with the hassle of swapping out my CPU and then selling the 5800x when the gains would be negligible in gaming and I mostly game at 4k anyway. For productivity, 8 cores is more than enough for my photo editing.

I don't doubt that there will be a refresh of Zen3 released for AM4 next year as the userbase is simply too big to ignore and milk more cash from. Anyway, now that we have reached this level of CPU grunt it's the GPU that really matters now, especially at 4k.

Are they? Isn't the 11700K launching for £400, what I paid for my 5800X?!
Honestly, this forum is full of people just writing seemingly random things without thinking about it. Benchmarks show the 5800x beats the 11700k at the same price point, so better to just ignore daft posts like you quoted.

Soldato
Hah, think you and my father-in-law are sharing luck. His 5600X bundle arrived, and had obviously taken such a whack in transit, the motherboard CPU fan header was broken and the pins bent; and if that's happened, god knows whether the rest of the bundle is working properly.

Gutted for him as he was looking forward to getting it all this weekend. I'm sure it'll get resolved quickly though.

Last edited:
Associate
Honestly, this forum is full of people just writing seemingly random things without thinking about it. Benchmarks show the 5800x beats the 11700k at the same price point, so better to just ignore daft posts like you quoted.

You're right. I have zero regrets over my purchase, great to have an all AMD system and first since the aforementioned 3200+ which was coupled with a (technically ATi) 9800 Pro. No issues whatsoever so far.

Soldato
That's not too bad then! I did use AMD for the RMA, it was shipped to them on Friday and is showing as processed at Brussels currently.

Yeah, no messing about assuming they process it quickly. I sent back an R5 1500X which was dropping a RAM channel on every board it was tested in, it was collected on the Monday afternoon, on Wednesday I had an e-mail saying they couldn't replace like-for-like so offered a an R5 2600X as a replacement, accepted that and it landed on the Friday at 09:15.

Soldato
Yeah, no messing about assuming they process it quickly. I sent back an R5 1500X which was dropping a RAM channel on every board it was tested in, it was collected on the Monday afternoon, on Wednesday I had an e-mail saying they couldn't replace like-for-like so offered a an R5 2600X as a replacement, accepted that and it landed on the Friday at 09:15.

Thats pretty good going then. I'm assuming that I won't be hearing anything until Monday now anyway.

Soldato
I've got an x470 gigabyte aorus 5. I want to update my bios in readiness for 5800x.

I've googled it and wanted to clarify something. With the q-flash button some have stated removing all hardware.

With the normal q-flash method via bios startup I haven't got a clear answer. Do I need to remove all hardware or can everything stay connected?

Is my 2700x made redundant once the update is complete? Anyone gone through this process?

Associate
I have a Ryzen 7 5800x coming tomorrow to replace my existing Ryzen 5 3600. Now, I'm not to clued up on how best to to configure the bios settings and what the various PBO, XMP, and OC Genie settings should be. I *think* I have fairly decent RAM as they sticks were specified by this forum about a year ago, but anyone that can give me any tips on what settings I should be using when I plug in the 5800x would be very welcome

Motherboard: MSI B450-A PRO MAX running the latest BIOS
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT Gray Micron E-Die 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 UDIMM

Are there any specific settings I should be looking to set for OC-Genie4, A-XMP, or using the Ryzen master software? I find the whole area a little bewildering. I'm not looking to overclock, just optomize my stock settings as much as possible. The graphics card is a Radeon RX 5700 which I am stuck with until the graphics card shortage ends, but it is fine for now as my resolution 1080p.

Everything is currently running 'auto' settings as I flashed the BIOS last night and didn't think it worth tinkering until the new CPU is in place.

Motherboard
mainboard.png

RAM
Ram.png

RAM SPD
SPD.png

Ram2.png

BIOS - Flashed to latest version, baseline settings
thumbnail-IMG-6622.jpg

Any guidance or advice on optimally setting this rig would be greatfully appriciated.

Caporegime
I have a Ryzen 7 5800x coming tomorrow to replace my existing Ryzen 5 3600. Now, I'm not to clued up on how best to to configure the bios settings and what the various PBO, XMP, and OC Genie settings should be. I *think* I have fairly decent RAM as they sticks were specified by this forum about a year ago, but anyone that can give me any tips on what settings I should be using when I plug in the 5800x would be very welcome

Motherboard: MSI B450-A PRO MAX running the latest BIOS
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT Gray Micron E-Die 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 UDIMM

Are there any specific settings I should be looking to set for OC-Genie4, A-XMP, or using the Ryzen master software? I find the whole area a little bewildering. I'm not looking to overclock, just optomize my stock settings as much as possible. The graphics card is a Radeon RX 5700 which I am stuck with until the graphics card shortage ends, but it is fine for now as my resolution 1080p.

Everything is currently running 'auto' settings as I flashed the BIOS last night and didn't think it worth tinkering until the new CPU is in place.

Motherboard
mainboard.png

RAM
Ram.png

RAM SPD
SPD.png

Ram2.png

BIOS - Flashed to latest version, baseline settings
thumbnail-IMG-6622.jpg

Any guidance or advice on optimally setting this rig would be greatfully appriciated.

The key with the 5800X is to keep the temps as low as possible, its how the boost algorithm works, if you can keep it at around or under 85c in heavy workloads it will run at about 4.6 to 4.65Ghz all core, 65c and under in games you should see about 4.85Ghz. This out of the box.

The first thing you should do is test it in cinebench and maybe a game or two before making any adjustments making notes of your performance, temps and core clocks, once you have an idea of what its like under out of the box conditions you should go into the BIOS and set BPO to advanced, find Curve Optimiser, set symbol to Negative and i would start with a vule of between 15 and 20. save it and retest, run your benchmarks again and make a note of your performance, temps and clock speeds to compare.

Testing for stability is tricky, it can be perfectly stable in your benchmarks and a day or two later while watching Youtube it could just randomly reboot, that means its unstable, back off the Cureve optimiser 3 points, so if you're at 20 take it to 17.

If you have found where its stable and are feeling more adventurous there are options to add a Mhz off set, so if you set +150Mhz it might boost to 5Ghz in your games and a bit higher in heavy workloads, like 4.75Ghz, as long as your temps are good, you might not be able to run such a high Curve Optimiser with that, you might have to take it down to 10.

That seems to be the most effective way of overclocking or tuning Zen 3, but you can also set volts and clocks in the traditional sense and not use any of that, or there are options setting predefined boosts, stage 1, stage 2....

It has a myriad of options, but the Curve Optimiser and boost off sets are the best way to do it.

Back
Top Bottom