• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official 5600X \5800X owners thread***

Associate
@Digital X do you find the RTX3080 ramping up the fans to max a lot ? I was originally thinking the ALF 240mm would be over kill for the CPU but now I'm thinking I just want to get as much hot air out the case as possible to keep the 3070ti I bought as cool as I can. I'm assuming that an AOI in this case would trump an air cooler, do you have your radiator mounted front or top ?

Associate
AOI in this case would trump an air cooler
What makes a difference is how well you can extract the hot air out.
The GPU will be the main heat source.

I would mount AIO as intake in front (will at least provide good cooling to CPU) and 2-3 exhaust fans on top and rear.
AIO as intake would contribute slightly to warm air inside, but then exhaust fans could be more efficient without radiator, so it evens out.

GPUs are temperature sensitive than Zen3 CPUs. Main limit for GPU is usually power.

Associate
Following up from my previous post here, I moved over the stuff to NR200, used a new thermal paste (MX-5), and ran Cinebench r23 for a while, it now runs much cooler, 75c max at 4.4 GHz @ 1.175v vs 85c at 4.3 GHz at same voltage with MX-4 paste, that's quite a drop in temp (both still with same cooler, Noctua NH-D9L).

With temps less of a concern now, I'll give PBO/auto OC another go and see if I can get it working properly this time, but if I can't get that sorted out, I can push the CPU some more with manual overclocking instead.

Edit: got PBO working nicely, my issue was setting voltage a bit too low, left it on auto and it's working wonderfully, up to 4.8 GHz single core, 4.6 GHz all cores (actually doing these clocks, the effective clocks are showing these numbers, so I got rid of the clock stretching issue, yay), max 80c, I have PPT set at 105w, +100 MHz offset, I could increase the PPT by another 10w and see how it goes.

Last edited:
Associate
Installed my 5800x yesterday and have it running at 4.7 @1.2625 all core and in cinnebench temps are low to mid 60s. Tried PBO but wasn't 100% confident using it but may try later on when I get to understand it a bit more. Very happy at the moment though and coming from a 3600x that would only do 4.2 (with sensible volts ) it's a nice final last stand for my aging ax370 gaming 5 board. Next job is to tighten ram timings

Soldato
Currently running 2600, any reason to pay the extra for the 5600x rather than just buy the 5600 and OC it? (gaming @ 1440p, 6700XT, and i'll be going to 32GB 3200Mhz) -I want to make AM4 last as long as I can.

:D

Back
Top Bottom