** Official Returnal Thread **

Associate
OP
I beat the last boss yesterday, going to start on the final ending today.
Started off and wasn’t sure I’d stick with it, but after beating the first boss I couldn’t put it down.

Associate
OP
How open are the areas? Is it a mix of linear and open world? Or similar to Outriders?
Once you beat the boss of an area the next one opens.
When you respawn the area is open and you don’t have to fight the boss again.
You can’t move back to a previous area until you respawn. (Or not that I’ve found so far)

Soldato
How open are the areas? Is it a mix of linear and open world? Or similar to Outriders?

Most areas in the first Biome (map) are basically arenas linked to each other via paths, white gates and teleports. There are other optional blue gates (or doors) which can be a mixture of fights and/or collectables/consumables. The second area opens up in scale but the action areas are still pretty much corridors and arenas with optional blue gate off-shoots. That's as far as I've got so not sure what will change in future areas.

The teleport system is actually pretty generous if you want to go back to shop/craft or heal in your ship (by sleeping on the bed - you might have to exit and re-enter the ship/bed to max your HP if you are very low).

If you die at any point the map will reset and change as will the enemy positions and types.

Don't read spoiler if you'd prefer to work some of these things out for yourself.

There are a few ways to get extra lives so you can resurrect and a way of re-spawning with all your items and currency (not consumables if you've used them) and map progress if you die. The respawn function is very handy if you feel that your run has been a good one and all your upgrades and weapon power etc are as high as you can get them. Right before the boss there will be a teleport so you can teleport back to the respawn point, spend your currency (ether) and create the resurrect point if you fancy a couple of goes at the boss. Ether is pretty rare so lately I let my store build up so that I can use this function whenever I am on a good run. There are many ways to spend ether you just have to weight up the pro's and con's of what you want to do. 30 pcs is max ether.

Thanks for making the thread @Vengance

Last edited:
Soldato
This game is pretty difficult, I mean.. if you’re used to dark/demon souls you should be good. But if you’re not, then it can be challenging. Just a warning :p and I’m used to bullet hell games (EtG etc)

Associate
I'm loving it, but I'm struggling somewhat. I've not reached the first boss yet, but I've not spent too long playing yet thankfully.

But in the 3 or so hours I've put in I've definitely improved and figured out a couple of things (as per the spoiler above). I got the anathema key last night but I can't find it at all now! Spent ages last night, but nothing now. I am right in thinking it doesn't stay with you?

All the deaths totally make sense, a save or checkpoint option would be useful though. I get why it's not there and I'm not afraid of a challenge, but relying on rest mode is a pain due to lack of time. Mid run I can't play another game (more importantly I won't have my son twisting when I say he can't play) and what happens if an update comes along? Can you turn off auto updates?

Soldato
I have played this for 3 days and I feel I have made zero progress, I know that's not strictly true but it feels like it. I had the best run last night, Carbine gun, adrenaline was at max, proficiency I had it up to 4, I had loads of health + a few health boosts and I also managed to buy an astronaut figurine, I felt it had to be winning the combination! Nope, I lost on the 3rd phase of the first boss again... :(

Also I tested a few times, and can you run straight to the red door/boss fights? it seemed that if you just sprinted your way you come access the red door quite quickly, as opposed if you were trying to clean each area on the way? Is that a thing? lol

Associate
OP
I wouldn’t run straight to bosses, get as much as you can from the area/s you can access before you fight them.

best tips I can give

Unlock weapon skills, guns can have up to 3 once you’ve unlocked them.

Collecting Silphium at full health, will help expand your health bar.

Most malfunctions aren’t too bad and are usually easy to clear (collect 1 artefact, kill 15 monsters, collect 150 obolites). With that in mind, open the tainted chests.

regarding obolites, destroy plants for extra and statues with gold eyes.

Use the reclaimer if you find one, it takes some health but you get a good item usually.

Soldato
I have played this for 3 days and I feel I have made zero progress, I know that's not strictly true but it feels like it. I had the best run last night, Carbine gun, adrenaline was at max, proficiency I had it up to 4, I had loads of health + a few health boosts and I also managed to buy an astronaut figurine, I felt it had to be winning the combination! Nope, I lost on the 3rd phase of the first boss again... :(

Also I tested a few times, and can you run straight to the red door/boss fights? it seemed that if you just sprinted your way you come access the red door quite quickly, as opposed if you were trying to clean each area on the way? Is that a thing? lol

If you're getting him to phase 3 then I think you'll do it soon. I watched a video to try and understand what his build up movements mean. I think the biggest thing for me was to know when he's going to rush you. If you deal with that it's not too bad. I had full HP after phase 1+2 then he rushes and swipes at you twice fast in phase 3. I had a large health vial so I just about managed to pop that and get him down. Was close though and I had no astronaut. If you're using Carbine or Pistol then make sure your alt is ranged and bang it as often as it fills as it's basically your super. Sometimes I will pick up a new weapon, fire its alt to see what it's doing then decide whether that's the alt I want/need to go for the boss. And as above, unlock as many weapon skills as you can - makes a big difference. It took me from Friday evening to Sunday morning and around 12 hours (9 attempts at the boss) to work it all out but I managed it and learnt a hell of a lot about the game along the way. I think I tried with shotty like 3 times which was a waste of time as you need to be at range to pick his moves.

Last edited:
Soldato
I always buy the health upgrade it adds quite a lot to your health bar, then a health pack and astronaut if I can find/buy one.

I wouldn’t run straight to bosses, get as much as you can from the area/s you can access before you fight them.

best tips I can give

Most malfunctions aren’t too bad and are usually easy to clear (collect 1 artefact, kill 15 monsters, collect 150 obolites). With that in mind, open the tainted chests.

Use the reclaimer if you find one, it takes some health but you get a good item usually.

Thanks for the tips I've been steering clear of malfunctions but I'll do the above from now on. The risk/reward system is pretty fun with the parasites but I generally leave them be unless I think I can get away with it like +15% proficiency but with fall damage one - I'll take that.

Associate
I am at the 2nd boss now with 3 big health packs in my inventory, a level 6 carbine and my health is at 200%.
I hope I can finish him this time as I taken ages to grind to this stage.

Soldato
Went into beast mode in biome 1 and beat the boss first try. So much easier now! Working my way through 2 proficiency is at 10 I am melting everything. Not met the boss yet :)

Associate
Got to Phrike twice now, got him almost to phase 3 both times. I'm slowly starting to understand the finer aspects of the game in general (health stacking and stuff), I'm slowly improving!

Associate
I am at the 2nd boss now with 3 big health packs in my inventory, a level 6 carbine and my health is at 200%.
I hope I can finish him this time as I taken ages to grind to this stage.

I managed to beat him and only used the 1 health pack. I am starting to get used to this game machanics and getting a feel for how to play this.

Associate
How do you defeat the monsters that have the red circular forcefield around them?

I can dodge the turrets with them easily enough but the monsters with all the tentacles are a nightmare!

Back
Top Bottom