** Official Returnal Thread **

Soldato
Beat him last night :D

Now on a good run, high integrity, decent weapon and some good consumables too.. Hoping this means I'll get past biome 2, but not holding my breath :p

Edit, phew, just managed to beat it, must've had about 2mm in my health bar.. Was a mistake going for an uprated pistol, would've been much better with a carbine or similar.

I found each boss seemed to have a weapon that was best choice based on their weak point(s) and attack patterns.

Main thing is to try and keep adrenaline level 5 and pick up oblites as much as possible to afford the integrity upgrade in each biome + astronaut and then as many sulphum vials as possible.

You will get a feel for the risk vs reward mechanics and instinctively know when to try and grab stuff and when to walk on by.

It will all click eventually and you will tear up each biome and wonder why you ever found it hard! :)

Soldato
I found each boss seemed to have a weapon that was best choice based on their weak point(s) and attack patterns.

Main thing is to try and keep adrenaline level 5 and pick up oblites as much as possible to afford the integrity upgrade in each biome + astronaut and then as many sulphum vials as possible.

You will get a feel for the risk vs reward mechanics and instinctively know when to try and grab stuff and when to walk on by.

It will all click eventually and you will tear up each biome and wonder why you ever found it hard! :)
I'm still on the same cycle, just beat nemesis on my first attempt - thought he was a really simple boss to be fair as I've learnt to get good at strafing and dodging through projectiles.

Story is good, rare I actually feel for the characters in a game :p

Edit biome 4 done now.. I don't want it to end, what a game this is.

Last edited:
Soldato
Biome 4 done, level 20 thermogenic launcher made boss melt in seconds.
I got to the final boss last night and massively bottled it, I was just doing silly things and didn't work it out very well where I was tired, then about 4 million different colour projectiles flying at me (was playing via steam deck) and I just couldn't dodge them.

Go again this eve :p

Associate
Need to get back into this and get the collect the glyphs to get the platinum. The joy of finally beating a boss in this game after having a good run is unparalleled if you have an active PS Plus subscription you owe it to yourself to play this marvel of a game. And remember if you die it's all on you to improve... git gud and all that ;)

Soldato
I got to the final boss last night and massively bottled it, I was just doing silly things and didn't work it out very well where I was tired, then about 4 million different colour projectiles flying at me (was playing via steam deck) and I just couldn't dodge them.

Go again this eve :p

For me, Opheon is the easiest boss of the game. I was killing it for fun when I was trying to find all the ciphers.

I always run EPD on Biome 6, and it melts Opheon, particularly when you get a drop with long pylon duration - in those instances I got through all three phases in a couple of minutes.

Soldato
For me, Opheon is the easiest boss of the game. I was killing it for fun when I was trying to find all the ciphers.

I always run EPD on Biome 6, and it melts Opheon, particularly when you get a drop with long pylon duration - in those instances I got through all three phases in a couple of minutes.
I just beat him, I only got hit once, I think the anticipation got the better of me yesterday :D

Soldato
I've came back to Returnal....

I've previously defeated Algos final form in the tower, completed 'act 2' aka the original biomes but didn't bother with the sun face fragments... coming back for more and was planning on 100%, but the RNG of the biomes is proving painful in biome 1 for the ciphers, multiple play throughs and I'm still missing 3 :o

I've got a 3080 now so the RTX makes the game look awesome

Last edited:
Soldato

I've previously defeated Algos final form in the tower, completed 'act 2' aka the original biomes but didn't bother with the sun face fragments... coming back for more and was planning on 100%, but the RNG of the biomes is proving painful in biome 1 for the ciphers, multiple play throughs and I'm still missing 3 :o

Started this on PC yesterday, looks significantly sharper than PS5's "1080p upscaled to 1440p and then checkerboarded to 4k" resolution:p

120+ fps ultrawide with RT when you use DLSS3.0 feels much better than inconsistent 60fps on console but PS5 is hooked to my OLED and looks good enough anyways so I'm playing both:D

Soldato

I feel your pain. Biome 2 is the biggest PITA for Ciphers. There is a super rare room and I honestly cannot tell you how many runs of B2 I did before it dropped. It almost broke me.

The relief when it did drop was mega! :)

I collected all the sun face fragments quite easily as I recall and got the voice notes relatively easily too. That one Biome 2 Cipher though - jeez! I just hope you have better luck than I did :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom