Tories lost the 2019 election among working age adults

Pho

Pho

Soldato
There was a post on /r/ukpolitics a few weeks ago showing how the younger you are, the less chance you have of "winning" the election.

A few more images in the link above but in a nutshell:
jzCB4vf.png

Apart from the one time I voted in the local parish elections to help a neighbour out, every single vote I've ever made has gone the opposite (local elections, general elections, the proportional representation one, the Brexit one).

No wonder people get disheartened with politics when your vote doesn't mean anything.

Caporegime
There was a post on /r/ukpolitics a few weeks ago showing how the younger you are, the less chance you have of "winning" the election.

A few more images in the link above but in a nutshell:
jzCB4vf.png

Apart from the one time I voted in the local parish elections to help a neighbour out, every single vote I've ever made has gone the opposite (local elections, general elections, the proportional representation one, the Brexit one).

No wonder people get disheartened with politics when your vote doesn't mean anything.

So just move to a different parties safe seat?

Then you can win every year and feel like your vote matters?

Caporegime
Being retired is one of the main reasons for people being economically inactive, even under your Mr Pernickety definition.

Good to have the sticklers for language polluting the thread, though.

OK, so language issues aside, why is it relevant?

People who are “economically inactive” don’t deserve to have as much of a say?

Soldato
So just move to a different parties safe seat?

Because that defeats the purpose of voting in the first place? I mean if we're only ever gonna vote for the favourite might as well save some bother and just have a one-part government.

Beg's the question of why Boris was so happy to let the OAP's die of coronavirus when it first hit.

That was more failure than intent.......

Soldato
OP
OK, so language issues aside, why is it relevant?

People who are “economically inactive” don’t deserve to have as much of a say?
You're asking why it's relevant to demarcate people who've left their working years behind being the only group voting for the government, whilst working age people of all age groups wanted the opposition party?

Come on. I've said it already: you're just sealioning

Caporegime
You're asking why it's relevant to demarcate people who've left their working years behind being the only group voting for the government, whilst working age people of all age groups wanted the opposition party?

Come on. I've said it already: you're just sealioning

No, I’m asking why it’s relevant that they’re “economically inactive”. I didn’t place and conditions there re: leaving their working years behind, as I’ve pointed out there are others who fit that term and as another poster pointed out they’re not technically included under that term anyway.

Why not just answer? The thread is here for discussion no?

Soldato
OP
No, I’m asking why it’s relevant that they’re “economically inactive”. I didn’t place and conditions there re: leaving their working years behind, as I’ve pointed out there are others who fit that term and as another poster pointed out they’re not technically included under that term anyway.

Why not just answer? The thread is here for discussion no?
Discuss then. Stop asking crap questions

Caporegime
Discuss then. Stop asking crap questions

Stop making crap points you can’t support then!

I suppose the question is: is it potentially problematic to have a government who are only favoured by groups whose interests are so different to the majority of working people?

You’ve not actually demonstrated that is the case, unless you’ve missed the word “age” in between working and people. It might be the case but you’ve not shown it here. Again plenty of economically inactive people of working age.

Should governments have to reflect what the majority of working people want?

There are, again, the disabled, long term sick, job seekers, housewives etc..

Soldato
OP
You’ve not actually demonstrated that is the case, unless you’ve missed the word “age” in between working and people. It might be the case but you’ve not shown it here.
Yes I have. It's in the second twitter post quoted. Unless you're insinuating that most working people are earning £100k+.

But, anyway, the topic is whether such a disparity as clearly illustrated in the OP's charts is a problem. Maniacally drilling down into my loose deployment of an economic term is weirdly obsessive behaviour.

Get a grip on yourself.

Man of Honour
Always makes me laugh when people complain that older people tend to vote Tory. What is it that the Conservatives are doing that the likes of Labour are so incapable of doing??

One vote per person, can't get fairer than that.

Or you could say, “What is it that Labour are doing, or saying that they will do, that makes older voters such as my wife and I cast our votes for whoever we think has more chance of keeping Labour out?

Caporegime
Yes I have. It's in the second twitter post quoted. Unless you're insinuating that most working people are earning £100k+.

That second tweet shows household income. Presumably, a housewife whose husband earns X falls into bucket X too... do you not see the obvious flaw there?

But, anyway, the topic is whether such a disparity as clearly illustrated in the OP's charts is a problem. Maniacally drilling down into my loose deployment of an economic term is weirdly obsessive behaviour.

Get a grip on yourself.

Get a grip on yourself, you won't even answer why you think being "economically inactive" is an issue here? Why is it a problem?

Back
Top Bottom