Dyson cooling fan or similar?

Associate
Can anyone recommend a decent fan?

Our living room faces due south and no matter what combo of curtains and windows open or closed by late afternoon it would be cooler sitting on the surface of the sun.

We're not too far away from buying a new house so I don't want to invest in AC.

Are those dyson cooling fans towers any good? I realise they aren't AC but has anyone got any experience with them? Straightforward cooler or air purifier? Do they actually work?

Any other brands worth looking at? The small footprint of the Dyson is appealing.

Thx

Associate
Got a Dyson purifier. Expensive and airflow no better than a normal fan. Save money. Buy a fan and a separate purifier if you need it. (We do for wife’s hay fever)

Soldato
We borrowed a Dyson tower fan a couple of years ago and both agreed that it was pretty awful.
To get any reasonable airflow, the speed had to be significantly increased which in turn produced more noise. The hidden blades will also be more difficult to clean compared to a traditional style.

I purchased a fan from Argos last year that has 7 small blades and I must say, it's far better than any fan I've had with the usual 3 huge paddles for blades.
They still sell it for £59.99.

Soldato
I made a thread only a few days ago. I ended up getting a Boneco Air Shower fan which seems to take the edge off.

Don't believe any snake oil product that will say it cools. It's all BS unless it is an air conditioner.

Associate
OP
I made a thread only a few days ago. I ended up getting a Boneco Air Shower fan which seems to take the edge off.

Don't believe any snake oil product that will say it cools. It's all BS unless it is an air conditioner.

They looks really good, which one did you get? I quite like the look of the F210

Soldato
They looks really good, which one did you get? I quite like the look of the F210
I went for the F120 which looks a lot like a cheaper but slightly taller version of the F210. It works great, shifts a lot of air for the size, but doesn't have key features like oscillate. I think you need to get onboard with the idea that it is designed to point at the ceiling for the most part, which then creates an air movement effect that you can 'somewhat feel' but certainly makes the environment feel a lot less stuffy. I've currently got it sat blasting at my whilst I WFH though so equally good there too. It looks a lot nicer than a regular fan. Build quality is very good.

If you want fans blasting in your face, get a Logik from Currys for £30 (all metal).

Associate
Meacofan 1056AC, bought one last week and I loved it so much that I ordered the pedestal version (1056P) the following day. Much more effective than a standard fan, produces a vortex of air that even on low settings you can feel on the other side of the room. On full blast it’s like having a tornado pointed at you.

Last edited:
Soldato
Meacofan 1056AC, bought one last week and I loved it so much that I ordered the pedestal version (1056P) the following day. Much more effective than a standard fan, produces a vortex or air that even on low settings you can feel on the other side of the room. On full blast it’s like having a tornado pointed at you.
Keep your receipt safe. Had two of these break at the power connector. They use(d) micro-USB and must have soldered a batch poorly as the connector just came off in your hand with the slight force required to plug it in. Great fans, lasted the summer, but then broke and were duly returned.

Associate
Keep your receipt safe. Had two of these break at the power connector. They use(d) micro-USB and must have soldered a batch poorly as the connector just came off in your hand with the slight force required to plug it in. Great fans, lasted the summer, but then broke and were duly returned.

Not sure you’re talking about the same thing, these are mains powered, no usb in sight.

Soldato
Not sure you’re talking about the same thing, these are mains powered, no usb in sight.
Yeah but the connector into the back of the fan was a micro-USB (at least on the model I had). If yours isn't, then it sounds like I either had an earlier model or they changed it up.

Caporegime
goto a police auction, get some inline fan they confiscated from a grow and just pump cool air directly in from outside

I got an S&P TD 250 silent inline fan from one years ago, pumps 250m3 /hour directly from outside along a tube to wherever I want it

should have cost £150

Last edited:
Caporegime
Got a Dyson purifier. Expensive and airflow no better than a normal fan. Save money. Buy a fan and a separate purifier if you need it. (We do for wife’s hay fever)

IKEA do purifiers which also work as a fan of sorts for £50 and the filters are only £10 each.

I've just sold my stupidly expensive air purifier on eBay for £200.

Which means I can get 4 IKEA ones for what I sold it for second hand.

Plus the filters on that thing are £60. So I'll be saving a ton on filters

Soldato

God dammit, i was looking at the F230, but now i spotted they do a bluetooth version. I will most likely never use the app to control it, but i wonder if one day it'd work with google home. Although i'm then spending £230 on a fan which feels silly.

Associate
Our back room is south facing, sun all day on it, I put a sail shade up in front to stop the direct sun light, make such a big difference. That might not be the best solution for you but think about shading the window some how.

Soldato
God dammit, i was looking at the F230, but now i spotted they do a bluetooth version. I will most likely never use the app to control it, but i wonder if one day it'd work with google home. Although i'm then spending £230 on a fan which feels silly.
:D:cry: Everything is such a rabbit hole now.

I have cheated somewhat and just plugged it into a WiFi Smart Plug...

Caporegime
We borrowed a Dyson tower fan a couple of years ago and both agreed that it was pretty awful.
To get any reasonable airflow, the speed had to be significantly increased which in turn produced more noise. The hidden blades will also be more difficult to clean compared to a traditional style.

I purchased a fan from Argos last year that has 7 small blades and I must say, it's far better than any fan I've had with the usual 3 huge paddles for blades.
They still sell it for £59.99.

@fatbatman works for Dyson he should be able to take your constructive feedback on board and try and improve their products in future

Back
Top Bottom