Car terminology that makes you cringe

Man of Honour
One that really, really annoys me is when people tell me that their M-sport 320d is just an M3 with a different engine or that their AMG-Line C180 is a AMG C63 with a different engine. Do these people honestly believe that there are no other differences other than the engine?

Does this conversation really happen?

Man of Honour
  • I'll get a lot of hate for this as it's widely used here, but for me I can't stand "place to be", usually prefixed by "nice" but people now like to mix it up a bit and use something like "not a terrible" to elongate it even further. Soon we'll be seeing "in all honesty not the worst place to be be, except on Wednesdays when I get rudely awakened by the lane departure warning".
  • "First to see will buy" - from this we must infer nobody thinks it is worth seeing, otherwise someone would have bought it already.
  • "Leather" when used to describe something that isn't genuine leather, usually with some extra word tacked on so they can get away with it.
  • "Stage n" - as others have said
  • "ICE" to mean Internal Combustion Engine instead of In Car Entertainment. I appreciate it's quicker than saying "petrol/diesel" but couldn't we have landed on a different acronym?
  • "Careful owner" - that's a shame I was really looking for a car with a reckless owner. Bonus points if they are a lady owner because the gender of the previous owner is by far the most important piece of info about a prospective purchase.

Don
"gapped" and more cringeworthy variants, taken to gapplebees, gapplesauce, etc.

OK you got me, what does that mean?

TBH the word "detailing" makes me cringe. Surely it just means cleaning thoroughly? Do people detail the dishes after dinner or detail their living-room carpet?

Soldato
OK you got me, what does that mean?

Beating someone in a race by such a huge margin there is a very large gap involved.

Or more commonly found on Facebook when someone in a remapped Golf R has marginally nosed in front of a Lambo that didn't even know it was in a race :p

Soldato
Personally, no, never heard that. I have however heard the "Yeah but this one is an M-Sport, so it's faster" As if somehow sticking M badges all over the car makes it faster than an SE or Sport. :rolleyes:

Probably makes it slower because bigger wheels and more bloat inside the car. Plus all the extra badges :D

Soldato
Fully loaded is one I see all the time on the BMW E6x groups I'm in - they did come with a large choice of options, but literally every 'fully loaded' example will have one or two things like heated seats and HiFi speakers.
Not seen one properly 'fully loaded' for a while now.

Delete is an annoying one - you've removed it, not deleted it!
'Low mileage for this engine, barely run in' plastered all over any Diesel advert (with 200k on the clock inevitably) is getting rather annoying too

Back
Top Bottom