*** GB News *** (stay on topic!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
News is generally reported as facts.

tenor.gif

News nowadays is very rarely "just" facts, it's more common to blend the basic facts with heaps of narrative telling me how I should "feel" about the facts they've presented, something which is a product mostly (but not entirely) of this 24hr news cycle over the past 30+ years which needs some "drama" to keep people watching.

Soldato
One thing I do wonder about GB News, how will they approach big 'breaking news' events? Obviously Sky and BBC have been the go to for these with their rolling news coverage. If GB news aren't going to be dealing with this stuff its a pretty big gap

Soldato
One thing I do wonder about GB News, how will they approach big 'breaking news' events? Obviously Sky and BBC have been the go to for these with their rolling news coverage. If GB news aren't going to be dealing with this stuff its a pretty big gap
See if they are at today's news conference on corona date extensions by Boris.

Vaguely remembering C4 opening day it was almost certainly as plagued with mishap and peradventure as last night's GB news.

Caporegime
On the technical side of things it was really poor/amateurish but I'm willing to give them a break as I'm sure launching a live TV channel is not easy.

However Dan Wooten did say something stupid like: "We're using state of the art equipment, we're the only fully digital news channel"

As if Sky news or BBC news are using analogue or something?!

Soldato
The thing no-one seems to be able to square, is if the media is so "woke" and "leftist", why has the UK consistently elected right of centre governments, voted for Brexit and generally moved further to the right over the last twenty years?

Seems to me the people that whinge and cry the most about "mah freedomz" are the ones that have had their own way for their entire adult lives.

Soldato
On the technical side of things it was really poor/amateurish but I'm willing to give them a break as I'm sure launching a live TV channel is not easy.

However Dan Wooten did say something stupid like: "We're using state of the art equipment, we're the only fully digital news channel"

As if Sky news or BBC news are using analogue or something?!

Even the bogs are paperless at GB News.

Caporegime
The thing no-one seems to be able to square, is if the media is so "woke" and "leftist", why has the UK consistently elected right of centre governments, voted for Brexit and generally moved further to the right over the last twenty years?

Seems to me the people that whinge and cry the most about "mah freedomz" are the ones that have had their own way for their entire adult lives.

Yes, many I think are fearful of losing the power/privileges they have had for so long.

My Dad came from a working class council estate and has done very well, but in a time where you could easily walk in to a lot of jobs, buy a house very cheap etc. He's a typical boomer really.

I love him, he's a hard working man even at 68 and he's always been a conservative voter, but particularly in the last 5 years he's become very right wing and sometimes says some awful stuff, sometimes he says quite racist things as well despite having black and asian friends.

Caporegime
It looks and feels amateurish at the moment. Audio sync problems, their overlay doesn’t even fill the screen and looks unprofessional. Unless they really buck up their ideas I give it a year at most.

Soldato
I still think Wooton was unnecessarily rude and dismissive to him tbh. Should have let him expand further on why he feels it's offensive. I was also hoping that "woke" wasn't going to be thrown around as an insult so much because it just feels like stooping down to playground level to me.

Neil Oliver was far more measured and civilised - I'm looking forward to watching him.

He did also say he knew them all well so I think it was perhaps suitably condescending to save the poor chap from embarrassing himself even further.

Last edited:
Caporegime
News is generally reported as facts.

Watch news from decades ago and see the difference though, before 24/7 news they simply reported facts. eg. "Today there was major flooding in Manchester due to heavy rainfall" and then onto the next story, today they don't just report that but they selectively choose "experts" to hammer on about climate change and how we're all going to die unless the economy is totally transformed and all nations agree to give up their economic sovereignty to treaties like the Paris accords and they throw in a few polar bears for emotional manipulation.

Because most of the stuff the woke leftists are pushing repels most normal people, it's only those who hang around too much in speakers corner or on social media in their echo chambers who agree with it and think that they're right because they're backed up by the corporate media. The problem is as mentioned the woke leftists have huge corporate backing, they're able to censor dissidents online and even shut down alternative news platforms and so elections are the only way to make their voices heard.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Watch news from decades ago and see the difference though, before 24/7 news they simply reported facts. eg. "Today there was major flooding in Manchester due to heavy rainfall" and then onto the next story, today they don't just report that but they selectively choose "experts" to hammer on about climate change and how we're all going to die unless the economy is totally transformed and all nations agree to give up their economic sovereignty to treaties like the Paris accords.

Because most of the stuff the woke leftists are pushing repels most normal people, it's only those who hang around too much in speakers corner or on social media in echo chambers and think that they're right because they're backed up by the corporate media who agree with it.

I doubt even GB News is crazy enough to fuel your peculiar brainwashed bias. :D

Soldato
Yes the news is facts but it is presented in a certain way to the public, and it's what they tend to leave out and not tell you that is dishonest tbh.

Which the BBC does too since it often shuts down anything that strays into controversy or doesn't put the alternative view over through editing the available guests. Look how leftist Question Time was in Brexit debates for instance.

Soldato

Because Labour moved further to the left after Blair and cocked up the country under him and Browns attempt at doing it their way.

Caporegime
Weird because I wasn't a fan of Tony Blair's labours, but blimey those days seem like the good 'ol days

97 to 2010? Yes please.

Though I was 15 years old when they took power and 28 when they left, to be fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom