• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Red Dead Redemption 2 now has DLSS 2 support

Soldato
All settings on High, DLSS Balanced mode

Getting around 110-120fps on my 3090, brilliantly! Getting abit of ghosting on performance mode, more noticeable on water at a certain distance but looks fine on balanced mode.

Very happy with that, can run the game pretty smoothly now but still get the odd jitters.

Soldato
OP
NV users:

why-not-both-tkd5ak.jpg

Caporegime
Yup not as massive of a boost on the whole but as per another thread, this now allows pretty much a constant 60 fps lock @ 4k with higher settings than no dlss and lower settings:

Best thing is just being able to have a superior AA method thus way better IQ and motion now.

Associate
It can't give you more frames if the native difference is not that big. You get more FPS in RT games and those games where moving from 1080p or 1440p to 4K hurts the FPS a lot. If you only lose 17 FPS moving from native 1440p to native 4K, then DLSS quality will only give you up to 17 FPS.

Soldato
Yup not as massive of a boost on the whole but as per another thread, this now allows pretty much a constant 60 fps lock @ 4k with higher settings than no dlss and lower settings:

Best thing is just being able to have a superior AA method thus way better IQ and motion now.
Doesn't seem way better to me, seems pretty comparable at DLSS Quality but there are some minor issues and the crap RDR2 hair looks even worse! (Only way to seemingly improve the horse hair is with FXAA + MSAA/Supersamping but FXAA blur and the MSAA/SS perf hit too much?)

For about 13% FPS gain - still have to turn settings down at 4K to keep north of 60 fps. I'll probably keep it on with a combination of some of HUB's optimised settings.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

Nice. I never got to quite complete this (did not grab me as much as I thought it would), so can resume it with my 3070. I know VRAM won’t be an issue with this game, so the extra performance gained from DLSS will be the difference between a 3070 and 3080 that I had anyways. And as you say as a bonus I get better IQ :)

Caporegime
Doesn't seem way better to me, seems pretty comparable at DLSS Quality but there are some minor issues and the crap RDR2 hair looks even worse! (Only way to seemingly improve the horse hair is with FXAA + MSAA/Supersamping but FXAA blur and the MSAA/SS perf hit too much?)

For about 13% FPS gain - still have to turn settings down at 4K to keep north of 60 fps. I'll probably keep it on with a combination of some of HUB's optimised settings.

For stand still shots, maybe "way better" but it is definitely noticeably better especially when things like fence posts, tree branches etc. are rendered properly in the distance.

Also, I read earlier that apparently TAA sharpening setting is still in effect even when using dlss so that might be why I am noticing some severe over sharpening artifacts, will try changing it in a bit here.

MSAA is terrible too, 4x and 8x still have jaggies and the performance is pretty bad with them.

There are some settings that I won't even turn up anyway i.e. water settings as they absolutely kill fps despite little to no difference in visuals and sadly things like dlss/fsr won't even help here.

Motion wise, it's not even a comparison, these screenshots of mine just show how utterly awful TAA is in motion:

TTSLtQX.jpg

L8j7yb2.jpg

Nice. I never got to quite complete this (did not grab me as much as I thought it would), so can resume it with my 3070. I know VRAM won’t be an issue with this game, so the extra performance gained from DLSS will be the difference between a 3070 and 3080 that I had anyways. And as you say as a bonus I get better IQ :)

Only 8GB vram though!!!!!! Sorry bud, but you'll need to turn the settings right down for the game to be playable ;) :D :p

It really gets going once you get past the first 3 hours then it slows down a bit in the middle again and picks back up.

Soldato
For stand still shots, maybe "way better" but it is definitely noticeably better especially when things like fence posts, tree branches etc. are rendered properly in the distance.

Also, I read earlier that apparently TAA sharpening setting is still in effect even when using dlss so that might be why I am noticing some severe over sharpening artifacts, will try changing it in a bit here.

MSAA is terrible too, 4x and 8x still have jaggies and the performance is pretty bad with them.

There are some settings that I won't even turn up anyway i.e. water settings as they absolutely kill fps despite little to no difference in visuals and sadly things like dlss/fsr won't even help here.

Motion wise, it's not even a comparison, these screenshots of mine just show how utterly awful TAA is in motion:

TTSLtQX.jpg

L8j7yb2.jpg

Only 8GB vram though!!!!!! Sorry bud, but you'll need to turn the settings right down for the game to be playable ;) :D :p

It really gets going once you get past the first 3 hours then it slows down a bit in the middle again and picks back up.

Guessing top is TAA going by the grassy blurfest?

Maybe I need to get a horse with black hair instead of grey as it seems harder to notice the squares :p

Grey horse hair:
9M3OLbw.jpg

Caporegime
Just tried adjusting the TAA sharpness setting as per someone's post on reddit, made no difference...... and that ladies and gentlemen is why you take some unknown randomers post with a pinch of salt :p

Some comparisons, probably not the best these though as you can see the heat waves i.e. the way the image with regards to poles etc. looks warpy/distorted

DLSS quality:

f1Xxsjm.jpg

DLSS balanced:

ceLbNmU.jpg

TAA (sharpness slider set to 0):

T11oedt.jpg

MSAA 4x

WRh1zjH.jpg

MSAA 8x

OGS1aEO.jpg

Guessing top is TAA going by the grassy blurfest?

Maybe I need to get a horse with black hair instead of grey as it seems harder to notice the squares :p

Grey horse hair:
9M3OLbw.jpg

Yup top is TAA

New horse time! :D

Associate
5GB update later, DLSS working.

I used the Hardware Unboxed Tweaks with geometry detail 3/4 out of 5 (up from 2), tree tessellation on, vulkan, 1440, average fps:
No DLSS TAA: 93
DLSS Quality: 105
DLSS Balanced: 108

Maybe a slight edge to things like buildings against the sky. I just ran the benchmarks without too much looking.

Some more frames is all good in my book. I got half way through on my 5700 XT last year, was enjoying it but wanted to wait for 3070 which I have plus DLSS woo.

off topic: on a different mouse with higher dpi, my god its so hard to change mouse sensi in 2021 whhyy, just give me a console with some cvars ala Quake in the 90s holy crap.

Associate
Love DLSS in this, even with everything maxed out, DLSS on quality my 3090 can just about maintain 60fps at 4K in a very foggy night lit Saint Denis where it would quite easily drop to the mid 40's, low 50's. It may only provide a small frame rate boost but it makes a big difference being able to hold 60fps+ in the most demanding areas. And the trees look way better now that the crappy TAA isn't in use :D

Back
Top Bottom