Cash is only used by the poor or elderly

Soldato
Unless you try to pay with $20 in pennies, a little forethought should make paying with cash quick and painless. Have your cash ready when you get to the counter.

If the kid on the other side of the counter can't count change, *that* could cause a delay.

Soldato
What really gets me is customers who pay but stand at the checkout and look through their receipt as if theyve had a shock of their life at how much it cost

I used to do that - this was at the self service tills too! was just a case of not paying attention to prices/buying random things....only ever use a basket so was surprised at the total for such a small amount!

Soldato
I used to be in boomer mode with cards, I would never spend more on my card than I had in cash on me lol..

these days I don't really care though, it's so rare a supermarkets payment system goes down

they do "mobile check deposit"

the check :cry: I always thought it was cheque, oh wait there UK website spells it properly
Have they changed the app then as I'm with santander and couldn't see an option to scan a cheque in.

Caporegime
Yeah, I didn't really elaborate enough on the last bit.

Historically there's been far more cases of hyperinflation causing all cash to be pretty worthless, compared to scenarios where only digital currency disappears or becomes devalued. I'm not aware of any scenarios where huge amounts of digital currency have just disappeared (I'm sure there must be examples) and knowing what systems banks have in place, I can imagine their records surviving an apocalypse far better than almost anything else.

*The point I'm getting at is that in most realistic scenarios I can think of, having physical cash is more of a risk / liability than digital currency. If something terrible happened that caused digital currency to vanish, chances are we'd be bartering over food and clothing before anyone cares about how many fivers they've got.
What do you mean by digital currency?

A pound coin in your hand or a pound in your bank account will always be worth the same.

The only difference is you might not be able to get your pound out of the bank if there's a bank run

Caporegime
I'm clearly doing a bad job of explaining my train of thought as what you've said is what I'm getting at.

People who use cash tend to argue that its safer, gives them more freedom and is 'theirs'. I don't believe so. As you've both alluded to, if something major were to happen financially, then both physical and digital currencies will be impacted just as much. I also can't think of any realistic scenario where physical cash would be more desirable than digital cash.

Bank run?

Don't you remember northen Rock a few years ago?

If everyone tries to take thier money out at once there isn't enough in the bank, any bank.

So your money there may as well not exist if your lucky you can queue up for hours and maybe be one of the lucky ones to get it out

Also visa etc go down semi regularly these days

Soldato
In Stafford, all of the taxis I have used during the pandemic still only use cash. Yet the barbershop I use takes card no probs.

If I was a betting man, I'd bet that most of those taxi drivers aren't declaring 100% of their earnings. That's unfortunately one of the biggest downsides to having a cash society.

Caporegime
Nobody:

GD: I do [thing A] and can only contemplate one approach to [Thing A]. How could anyone not do [Thing A] just like me?! This is why we can't have nice things :(

(also, use digitial and physical banking) [and bitcoin if you're a leet hackz0r]

Commissario
I'm guessing the op has never gone into something like small store and just picked up something like a 50p item.

I try to avoid using my card unless the total is over a fiver in small stores,. because the transaction cost can wipe out their profit on small purchases.

Soldato
Nobody:

GD: I do [thing A] and can only contemplate one approach to [Thing A]. How could anyone not do [Thing A] just like me?! This is why we can't have nice things :(

(also, use digitial and physical banking) [and bitcoin if you're a leet hackz0r]
Literally every thread. It is hysterical sometimes.

Soldato
I'm guessing the op has never gone into something like small store and just picked up something like a 50p item.

I try to avoid using my card unless the total is over a fiver in small stores,. because the transaction cost can wipe out their profit on small purchases.

Although that's becoming less of an issue these days. For debit card purchases it's something like 0.2% transaction fee. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if a cash courier would cost more. I accept for your small corner store that they're more than likely to go and bank it themselves.

Man of Honour
Unless you try to pay with $20 in pennies, a little forethought should make paying with cash quick and painless. Have your cash ready when you get to the counter.
If the kid on the other side of the counter can’t count change,*that* could cause a delay.
Talking of dollars reminds me of a time in rural Florida when I had a “freight up” at a supermarket the day after our arrival on holiday, in a rented pool home.
I went through the checkout and the total came to $85.05c, I gave the girl two fifty dollar bills and a nickel.
She looked at me as if I was a visitor from Mars, and said, “That’s too much sir, your total is $85.05c.”
I said, “Yes, and I’ve given you $100 and 5 cents, so if you give me $15, we’ll be okay.”
She couldn’t see it, and called for assistance, the supervisor guy said, “We don’t do it that way here sir, here’s your nickel, now Cindy will give you change out of the $100.”
So I ended up with a $10 bill, 4 singles, and 95c, Christ knows why, I never had trouble in New York or Boston.

Always handy to have a tank of petrol worth in cash. 3am at motorway services getting told "yeah sorry card machines bust" is not a fun experience

I had it in reverse at a Tesco garage at Surrey Quays a year or more back.
A guy approached me from his car and pleaded, “I’ve only got cash, and it’s card only here, if I give you a score, will you use your card to put £20 in my car?”
Why not, it was no big deal.

Ahh I didn't know that. Thanks for the pro-tip. I think my Dad is the only person who still sends cheques so I'll try that next time on the Santander app if it has that facility.

My burglar alarm company only began to take online BACS payments this year, prior to that I had to mail them a cheque annually.

Always have used cash I'm young (well youngish);) The government and the banks trying their best to do away with it, just makes me more inclined to keep on using it. Unless it's a large purchase, it is cash every time. It's the people that just buy a coffee and then pay by card that gets me. Walked into a bar some weeks ago to find it was card only and none of the staff thought to tell us until we had actually sat down, didn't have a card on me and manager wouldn't budge. Suffice to say we are not going back there again.

A good friend is the steward at the local Catholic Club, he doesn’t take cash, his prerogative I guess.
I know it, so if I go in there I make sure that I have cash, but I have a mischievous wish to see someone come in there, order half a dozen pints of lager, couple of pints of Guinness, a few vodka and tonics, whiskies or brandies, etc etc, then pull out a Visa Card, only to be told that cards are not accepted, and say, “No? Okay mate, we’ll go to a pub.”
Mickey’s face would hit the floor, but that would be on him.

Associate
That's the thing, we had already ordered our drinks before we were told:mad: So instead of taking our money it was errr. Drinks down the sink I presume. All because you won't take cash, and I thought that the hospitality industry needed our custom. I could understand not taking card, because of the fee's, the equipment or another outage, etc. Last time I checked money was money and cash is a legal tender.

Caporegime
If you’ve got a boxful of cash, what’s the best way to get it in your bank without raising any eyebrows?

Supposing I sell a top end guitar for £3000. Could I just stick that in my bank with no questions asked?

Soldato
If you’ve got a boxful of cash, what’s the best way to get it in your bank without raising any eyebrows?

Supposing I sell a top end guitar for £3000. Could I just stick that in my bank with no questions asked?
Depends on the bank. At a certain value (some go lower) they'll ask a source of funds question.

There was big lulz when India "demonetised" their most popular note. Folk had been buying houses for X and then topping up with Y Cash for decades. Most of these morons then went to the bank to convert their notes where they were asked why tf they had tens of thousands in 100 rupee notes.

Soldato

Buy a top end projector from a well known store with cash and return it unopened a few days later. They will refund you to a card. Not that im advocating this obv.

Back
Top Bottom