Microsoft Flight Simulator

Soldato
If you want to fly that, check out 320simpilots videos on YouTube. Hes a real airbus pilot and has a series on flying the plane. He uses the FBW mod on PC, but a lot will translate to the default aircraft.

Will check it out thanks.

I'm trying to stick to the simple planes but once I fly out of a local airport and take a look about I'm always "hmm let's go fly to so and so" it then takes an hour lol.

I did Newcastle to Edinburgh last night which wasn't too bad but Edinburgh looked pretty rubbish so I set the UK update downloading and left it be.

Associate
Yeah, I don't think I will be buying any country packs anytime soon. You spend most of the time in the sky anyway, the airport to me isn't that important. I am more interested in landmarks at cities than anything else.

The world updates (Japan, UK, USA, Nordics, France) are free content.

Soldato
Quick question for my son he’s nearly out of room on his Xbox x hard drive . He said he tried to instal this but didn’t have the option to install it on his external ssd drive .

Is it possible to do that ?

Thanks

I don't think so, games optimised for the Series S and Series X have to be be installed and run from the internal SSD or the special external SSD from Seagate.

Although there are a few exceptions to this rule it seems, Pure Xbox has a list of a few games which can be moved to an external drive which help free up space - https://www.purexbox.com/news/2020/...xbox_series_x_games_work_from_external_drives

Soldato
Does anyone know how to set the time of a random flight? I wanted to do a daytime UK flight last night, but couldn't see where to set the time of day.

It ended up using live time/weather, it did look good with all the lights over Kent/Essex, but not what i was looking for (i did end up flying around for about 30 mins though, lol).

Man of Honour
Will check it out thanks.

I'm trying to stick to the simple planes but once I fly out of a local airport and take a look about I'm always "hmm let's go fly to so and so" it then takes an hour lol.

I did Newcastle to Edinburgh last night which wasn't too bad but Edinburgh looked pretty rubbish so I set the UK update downloading and left it be.

Edinburgh does look pretty bad generally; they did add in models for the bridges over the Forth, Edinburgh Castle and a few others but most of the city looks pretty crap; on PC there are freeware mods to add better Edinburgh scenery in; I hope though it gets decent photogrammetry updated eventually.

Man of Honour
Does anyone know how to set the time of a random flight? I wanted to do a daytime UK flight last night, but couldn't see where to set the time of day.

It ended up using live time/weather, it did look good with all the lights over Kent/Essex, but not what i was looking for (i did end up flying around for about 30 mins though, lol).

I haven't played the Xbox version but on PC you do it when your in the World Map; click on "Flight Conditions" and then at the bottom left change Weather and Time from Live to Preset or better Custom; that will then let you change time, date, in the right hand side panel

Soldato
Edinburgh does look pretty bad generally; they did add in models for the bridges over the Forth, Edinburgh Castle and a few others but most of the city looks pretty crap; on PC there are freeware mods to add better Edinburgh scenery in; I hope though it gets decent photogrammetry updated eventually.

Yeah the castle was the landmark I first headed for and it was just some random buildings.... Will give it a go tonight with new models.

Soldato
A hockey court on a roof top?

The detail in this game; via satellite imagery / way the engine interprets it, stills blows me away, even if it can look somewhat deformed.

Soldato
Okay….I see how this game works, I mean in a monetary sense. Some reason I thought only planes are DLC but it seems even some countries are too, some are not even mapped as well, like Seoul, it’s missing the tallest building in Seoul (Lotte Tower) and a landmark call Seoul Tower which are on all the post cards.

Some countries you can buy a Mesh? Whatever that is? Like NZ and Switzerland. Is that a term for more detailed texture?

Airports too can be bought, wish Singapore would be free. Guess if you are into this massively you would get it.

Can you still take off from airports that you haven’t bought?

Also, where is the invert Y axis option? I can’t seem to find it anywhere.

There are three tiers of location in FS2020.

The entire world has been recreated from Bing Maps data. This is a largely autonomous process, and provides the base tier of the game world. The end result is variable. The basic layout of terrain, cities, and roads tends to be decent (with some exceptions, e.g. I know Igacu Falls is/was missing), but details are often completely wrong (e.g. Edinburgh Castle was a block of flats for a long time). Every airport in the world has been recreated this way, with every single one being usable. But they aren't necessarily accurate. The game basically just goes "there's a runway here, and there are buildings here, here and here". There's some effort to match shape, colour, and materials. But nothing particularly detailed (e.g. a glass fronted terminal may wind up being represented by a concrete office block).

The second tier of locations are the ones which have received a little hands-on attention from the developers. Manually tidying up layouts, replacing key landmarks with more accurate representations, etc. Edinburgh is a good example here; the Castle is now a castle. Many airports have received this treatment too, with a few key buildings being replaced with more accurate models so that they more accurately resemble the real thing.

And then there's the top tier locations. These have been reworked completely by the development team to resemble the real world locations. London is a good example, as is New York. On the airports front, the Heathrow DLC gives you a 1:1 copy of the real airport, down to small details (runway names, shop logos, etc.). If you don't pay, you only get the "Tier 2" version, which is going to be adequate for most TBF.

Microsoft's paid DLC is just planes and airports right now IIRC. Which is fair enough; the airports are already in the game anyway, with the DLC just making them look better. And as for the planes, how many casual players really care whether they're flying a Boeing 747-8 vs a 787-10? The extra content is mainly there for the enthusiasts.

Then there are third-party content updates, which I think may be what you've stumbled across. Community content has been a big thing in FS in the past, and adding an integrated store was one of the features that the community requested. There are a bunch of well-established businesses and independent developers building content for FS games, and they didn't want to be cut out. Further, the people who take FS seriously didn't want to lose out on content (which they would happily pay extra for). The upside is you can get new planes, airports, cities, more accurate terrain, new game modes etc. long before Asobo get around to making it (and also loads of content that Asobo will never get round to making). The downside is some of it costs £££. Naturally, Microsoft take a cut of sales, which is how they're able to talk about FS2020 as a platform "for the next decade"; they know they will get a steady stream of income from content sales.

Last edited:
Associate
I don't think so, games optimised for the Series S and Series X have to be be installed and run from the internal SSD or the special external SSD from Seagate.

Although there are a few exceptions to this rule it seems, Pure Xbox has a list of a few games which can be moved to an external drive which help free up space - https://www.purexbox.com/news/2020/...xbox_series_x_games_work_from_external_drives

Thanks for your reply i thought that might be the case but told him I'd double check .

He'; have to move some games to his external drive off his main drive then .

Thanks again

Caporegime
There are three tiers of location in FS2020.

The entire world has been recreated from Bing Maps data. This is a largely autonomous process, and provides the base tier of the game world. The end result is variable. The basic layout of terrain, cities, and roads tends to be decent (with some exceptions, e.g. I know Igacu Falls is/was missing), but details are often completely wrong (e.g. Edinburgh Castle was a block of flats for a long time). Every airport in the world has been recreated this way, with every single one being usable. But they aren't necessarily accurate. The game basically just goes "there's a runway here, and there are buildings here, here and here". There's some effort to match shape, colour, and materials. But nothing particularly detailed (e.g. a glass fronted terminal may wind up being represented by a concrete office block).

The second tier of locations are the ones which have received a little hands-on attention from the developers. Manually tidying up layouts, replacing key landmarks with more accurate representations, etc. Edinburgh is a good example here; the Castle is now a castle. Many airports have received this treatment too, with a few key buildings being replaced with more accurate models so that they more accurately resemble the real thing.

And then there's the top tier locations. These have been reworked completely by the development team to resemble the real world locations. London is a good example, as is New York. On the airports front, the Heathrow DLC gives you a 1:1 copy of the real airport, down to small details (runway names, shop logos, etc.). If you don't pay, you only get the "Tier 2" version, which is going to be adequate for most TBF.

Microsoft's paid DLC is just planes and airports right now IIRC. Which is fair enough; the airports are already in the game anyway, with the DLC just making them look better. And as for the planes, how many casual players really care whether they're flying a Boeing 747-8 vs a 787-10? The extra content is mainly there for the enthusiasts.

Then there are third-party content updates, which I think may be what you've stumbled across. Community content has been a big thing in FS in the past, and adding an integrated store was one of the features that the community requested. There are a bunch of well-established businesses and independent developers building content for FS games, and they didn't want to be cut out. Further, the people who take FS seriously didn't want to lose out on content (which they would happily pay extra for). The upside is you can get new planes, airports, cities, more accurate terrain, new game modes etc. long before Asobo get around to making it (and also loads of content that Asobo will never get round to making). The downside is some of it costs £££. Naturally, Microsoft take a cut of sales, which is how they're able to talk about FS2020 as a platform "for the next decade"; they know they will get a steady stream of income from content sales.

Yeah, i think most of the world is The Bing Data. I've only flown over a few places like Hong Kong and Seoul, places i've been to and both of those lacking some detail compared to Tokyo. Tokyo is how I remembered it, it's VERY accurate that is uncanny. Hong Kong's harbour has quite a few flat spots (don't exists...except a small patch on the Kowloon side where the old airport was) and although at first glance it looks good, it's nothing like Tokyo.

But one can't moan too much, it's free on Gamepass and it plays beautifully.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
There aren’t many games that make me go wow anymore. Flying on the Canadian border, sunrise during a thunderstorm - but it’s a storm with no rain, sheet lightning and I can still see the sunrise. The lighting changes and effects are mind boggling. What they’ve built here is so impressive.

The flight assists too - I’m flying roughly around medium settings and I feel like a pilot and can successfully fly using a game pad. Probably one of the most relaxing switch off games I’ve played in sometime. It’s a good rest from Ori, that’s for sure :p

Caporegime
Back
Top Bottom