Colleague off sick for five weeks. Has Doctors note. Is currently in Ibiza.

Man of Honour
Reminds me of the co-worker who phoned in sick then his misses tagged him in picture of them at Paignton Zoo :s he eventually left earlier in the year skipping out ahead of being fired.

Associate
we had the classic "off work with back problem" and then seen my colleagues carrying heavy audio equipment round in civic centre.... Dont think he even got disciplined. Some employers just seem to accept getting shafted

Soldato
My GP said to me go outside and do some moderate exercise to help with anxiety. On Sunday morning I will be participating in a group womble litter pick. The venue - industrial estate is about 12 miles from me.

Wombling can be moderate exercise as can find large items to carry and litter pick in ditches. Plus get a buzz feeling afterwards.

Largest item I have recovered on any group pick has a 50” inch tv and heaviest was one of those yellow signs with stand for an event 8 years prior

Associate
He’s back at work today on a phased return. And has holidays booked for tomorrow and Monday, though I believe these were in already.

550x762.jpg

Associate
Ive just been signed off with anxiety and stress for 3 weeks. During that time i have a prebooked holiday to butlins. I will still be going - in fact the doctor encouraged me to.

Exactly... which is why the OP needs to move on and not let himself get wound up by the "apparent" unfairness

Enjoy the break :)

Man of Honour
Ive just been signed off with anxiety and stress for 3 weeks. During that time i have a prebooked holiday to butlins. I will still be going - in fact the doctor encouraged me to.

If I walked in and my wife said, “Sort out what shirts you’ll need for our upcoming break at Butlins”, or any holiday camp or caravan park come to that, my first words would be, “Who are you, what are you doing in my house, and what have you done with my wife?”
That said, if Holiday Camps are your bag I hope that you have a blast and come back stress free.

Caporegime
OP
Pre-booked being the important term here. My colleague had no holidays booked and didn't request them either AFAIK. His Phased Return includes a half day today and prebooked holidays tomorrow and Monday.

Associate
We have generous sick policy at my work place 6 months full pay further 6 months half pay with holiday accrual plus getting phased back in up to 5 weeks scaling with absence length only see a few employees a couple of months each year.

Caporegime
Just throwing this in here, but a lot of companies do not allow holiday accrual whilst on sick leave.

I think you perhaps mean taking holidays not holiday accrual.

I suspect that is partly what is causing some of the confusion in this thread - that an employee can request holidays (i.e. paid time off) during sick leave.

Requesting holidays doesn't mean you're necessarily going on holiday (you could simply decide to use those paid vacation days*) and likewise going overseas for a break can be done on sick pay (depending on circumstances), doesn't necessarily need to be taken as holiday.

*I took holiday to have knee surgery once, I didn't want additional paid time off as it would affect my profitability and therefore my variable pay

Pre-booked being the important term here. My colleague had no holidays booked and didn't request them either AFAIK. His Phased Return includes a half day today and prebooked holidays tomorrow and Monday.

Nope, not at all. The important points here are the reasons he's off work and that the doctor has explicitly recommended going!

His reasons for being off work certainly don't prohibit him from going to Butlins and in fact, going to Butlins might well help with aiding recovery from the reasons he's off work. Whether it was pre-booked or not is completely irrelevant.

Caporegime
OP
I think you perhaps mean taking holidays not holiday accrual.

I suspect that is partly what is causing some of the confusion in this thread - that an employee can request holidays (i.e. paid time off) during sick leave.

Requesting holidays doesn't mean you're necessarily going on holiday (you could simply decide to use those paid vacation days*) and likewise going overseas for a break can be done on sick pay (depending on circumstances), doesn't necessarily need to be taken as holiday.

*I took holiday to have knee surgery once, I didn't want additional paid time off as it would affect my profitability and therefore my variable pay

Nope, not at all. The important points here are the reasons he's off work and that the doctor has explicitly recommended going!

His reasons for being off work certainly don't prohibit him from going to Butlins and in fact, going to Butlins might well help with aiding recovery from the reasons he's off work. Whether it was pre-booked or not is completely irrelevant.
Absolutely agree about him taking a holiday, but this was pre-booked prior to being signed off and likely will still be using his holiday time.

Back
Top Bottom