The anime thread sequel (it's still not as good as the Manga though),

Commissario
OP
Not really been managing to watch much anime recently, but I'm nearly at the end of the excellent AlltheAnime release of Planetes which looks great in HD* and I'd forgotten how good it was, as I think last time I watched it was about ten years ago.

Diskotek in the US are showing once again that they're possibly the Criterion on Anime with some of the announcements today, including Gunbuster on blu-ray!!!! with something that for years everyone had been told was impossible, an English Dub!!!!
I'm wondering if they had another find in the misfiles, or if it will turn out that the truth is that the "lost music and effects" track wasn't all that lost, just that someone didn't want to look for it (or apparently the Japanese redubbed some bits a while back so maybe they remade it?) either way it's great that one of the classics is going to both get a release in HD for it's existing fans, and might be a bit more accessible to newer fans.

I'm hoping ATA over here pick up some of these licences for UK release, or discotek do some of them as US/EU coded.

[edit]
Just finished Planetes, and loved it, it's so different to most of the space anime, and I'd forgotten the ending more of less entirely.

*You can read the text on the screens in places, and it's actually real text that makes sense in context!

Last edited:
Commissario
OP
I hear lots of buzz about Fruit Basket this week as the anime just finished? Is it worth binging?
I think the last episodes of the third season of the full version may just be airing.

It's usually considered very good, and has done well enough that they did a series back in the early 2000's that covered one arc, and then went back to it a couple of years ago (after the manga finished) and did an entirely new adaption starting from scratch so they could follow the manga more faithfully, and it's just about starting/ ending it's third and final season now I believe.

I enjoyed the original, and have been enjoying the new one but it's something that I think is usually seen as a bit more on the "girly" side of anime (no epic battles, no fighting demons, mecha, tanks, spaceships etc) as it's more about relationships and the like.
If you've got a sub to funimation now, I think it's up on there.

Caporegime
I think the last episodes of the third season of the full version may just be airing.

It's usually considered very good, and has done well enough that they did a series back in the early 2000's that covered one arc, and then went back to it a couple of years ago (after the manga finished) and did an entirely new adaption starting from scratch so they could follow the manga more faithfully, and it's just about starting/ ending it's third and final season now I believe.

I enjoyed the original, and have been enjoying the new one but it's something that I think is usually seen as a bit more on the "girly" side of anime (no epic battles, no fighting demons, mecha, tanks, spaceships etc) as it's more about relationships and the like.
If you've got a sub to funimation now, I think it's up on there.

5 Episodes in, it's okay so far but not hooked yet. I don't mind the drama type of anime, it makes a change from all the Iseikai and shonen stuff or tournament arc that i ususally watch.

Soldato
I need to watch odd taxi it's on my list to check out. I watched vivy and 86 recently both of which were good and I recommend em!

I am currently going back in time and watching haruhi suzumiya, need to finish off the film but done the rest.

All the anime are doing a week long summer sale starting tomorrow: https://blog.alltheanime.com/summer-sale-2021/

The Haruhi film is genuinely good. I still have the US [BD] release after Manga screwed up the UK release so bad haha

@Werewolf - loved Planetes, genuinely great show!

Last edited:
Soldato
Aria the Animation is getting a UK release via MVM!
It's their early bird deal for the week at £23.99 apparently they're looking at seasons 2 and 3 as well if this does ok.

I saw the news and had it in my basket at the checkout within about 15 seconds...

Aria any good?

I am mainly buying collectors editions these days as opposed to normal ones, but if it's good I may watch it, and if I get the chance to buy a nice CE box I would consider doing so if I like it :)

Commissario
OP
Aria is very relaxing, it's sort of a slice of life but hard to describe so it's probably best if just post the synopsis and trailer.

When Akari Mizunashi travels to the city of Neo-Venezia on the planet of Aqua, the beauty of the city is beyond anything she’s ever seen before. It’s here that Akari hopes to achieve her dream of becoming an “undine” — a female tour guide who navigates the canals of Neo-Venezia on an elegant gondola. As she begins her training with the prestigious Aria Company, will she be up to the challenges that await her on the path to achieve her dream?

One of the best comments about it I remember from the old Anime on DVD forums was someone posting about "we got to Athena's ankle this episode!" (I think it was), as a joke because it's such a relaxing, laid back anime to watch and has basically none of the common in your face fan service.

Last edited:
Commissario
OP
I think the first episode was put up on Youtube officially at some point for a promo, it's one of the series that I bought on DVD based on what at the time were two key factors for me, a good review on animeondvd and that it was a nozomi (TRSI) release, as I'd learned to trust AOD reviews, and TRSI had a habit of only releasing what was generally very good stuff (those two criteria led me to several unexpectedly enjoyable series with things like Aria, A victorian Romance Emma, Princess nine etc).

I just received notification that aniemeonline have shipped my K-on blu-ray set which is nice, although at the moment i've still got a huge backlog so I probably won't get round to watching it for a while.

Associate
My GF thoroughly enjoyed the Fruits Basket anime, the final season finale was a bit rushed in my opinion but overall it's a good series. It has mix of comedy and romance but the tone shifts as it progresses.
Anyone else excited and planning to watch Rebuild Evangelion 3.0+ 1.0 tomorrow/13th August?
Kinda wish it was shown at Cinema or something.

Back
Top Bottom