1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, we are running a Photoshop competition with a 32" monitor as the first prize - See here for details.

The anime thread sequel (it's still not as good as the Manga though),

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by Werewolf, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Werewolf

Commissario

Many thanks to memyselfandi for the actual content of the post, I've just done some minor edits and added a couple of very small bits to it (so I'm the one at fault for any mistakes).

2. memyselfandi

Sgarrista

I don't think I've made it through Lain, (I have a copy somewhere). I don't know, it just doesn't grab me when I try and watch it.

As NuclearWinter says it is quite a few years old now, (my release is branded Geneon who have been out of the US market for quite some time now).

3. NuclearWinter

Hitman

My DVDs have the Pioneer brand name and are dated 1998. Hard to believe 13 years has passed since then.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  4. CAT-THE-FIFTH

Capodecina

Thanks!! Some interesting series there. I might check out Eve no Jikan first.

Anyone of you seen Planetes?? It seems to get decent reviews.

5. Putty

Wise Guy

I highly recommend Planetes - great series! Just finished Xam'd and about to start watching either C or Steins:Gate.

6. memyselfandi

Sgarrista

Yes, Planetes is a very good drama series.

7. Alexrose1uk

Sgarrista

Just finished Hidan and I see what you meant Andi;
    potentially interesting set of characters, spoiled by a rediculous lack of character development (except when it was forced), pacing (which I think made the character development and 'reveals' seem more forced than they might have been) and an extremely obvious, and practically cliched final.

The sad thing was the lack of development and pacing made any of the character reveals, especially about Ar*a/Riko seem a bit 'really?? pfffff' and Ar*a herself was almost a pastiche of Rie Kugiyama's other tsundere rolls rolled into one; which is a shame as I doubt that's the original intention unless the books are that bad, and as other series have show, Tsundere's don't have to be weak characters with 100% stereotypical writing.

I don't think that's necesarily Rie's fault either, as the voice acting was fine, it did what it was meant to with the given lines; but the dialogue, pacing etc just made it seem a bit like a stereotype joke.

Shame, could have been an interesting show, along the veins of "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen", if it'd dumped the harem/triangle romance, not dumped pointless plot threads in right near the end of the show, been paced better and without the terrible final episode. I mean seriously, I know there's stereotypes, but when the final villain is THAT obvious you can guess he's going to turn out to be the bad guy from the first episode...you're doing it wrong. Sad really; and it ended up as another throwaway series. If the entire series had been paced slower and just been focused on Ar*a/Riko's rivalry, without throwing in the extra rubbish, it'd probably have been far better, and given the characters and plot much more time to develop.

Definately need to watch something a bit stronger as the next series; get the feeling I've watched a few too mediocre ones recently.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  8. Werewolf

Commissario

Thanks to memyselfandi for his massive contribution to the opening post (he basically wrote it:p).

Both lain and Planetes are great anime, lain is a bit marmite and I think you have to be in the right mood to watch it, and pay it full attention.

9. memyselfandi

Sgarrista

Not a problem ... and I would point any of the (many) grammatical issues are all mine :)

I think that not giving it my full attention is probably the issue I've had with Lain in the past. I'll have to give it another go at some point when I have some time ...

10. Brian8bit

PermaBanned

I still haven't managed to find a Lain box set in Region 2. If anyone has one and they don't want it anymore... ;)

11. Werewolf

Commissario

Lain is from memory OOP pretty much everywhere in the west, so any stock is going to be what's left in warehouses.

I think the R4 was dual coded as R2/4, so there may be an aus retailer with one of the madman boxes left if no luck in the UK.

12. memyselfandi

Sgarrista

Looks like Manga UK are releasing Angel Beats on BD in the UK

13. NuclearWinter

Hitman

Yes, Planetes is excellent. If you like sci-fi then it's a must watch.

14. memyselfandi

Sgarrista

It was nice to see reported today that Mari Okada has won an award at the 16th Kobe Animation awards.

She was most recently writer on Hanasaku Iroha :))) and has also been writer on Fractle, Wandering Son and Anohi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai this year alone. Previously she has worked on Black Butler and Toradora!

Her sensitive characterization as well as that extraordinary productivity has earned her the individual honor at Japan's oldest animation prize.

Hanasaku Iroha and Wandering Son are both currently streamable via Crunchyroll, I would strongly recommend Hanasaku Iroha whilst Wandering Son is more of an acquired taste. Black Butler and Toradora! have both had R1 releases.

(src)

15. BeanBandit

Wise Guy

Not sure if anyone noticed the announcement by Microsoft to bring more Tv to the Xbox Live service. But Manga Entertainment are listed as a content provider. Open to silver members as well. Only one issue i can see. If for America only, not sure if this means just an American live account or whether it is IP based not sure. May have to set up another account and see what happens.

Can't believe the previous thread had been going since Feb 2005 :eek:

16. Werewolf

Commissario

Sweet :D

Hopefully in a single set.

Beanbandit, I think MS have said something about bringing 40d and iplayer to silver users in the UK recently, so it could be that they'll work with Manga here as well (or the guys behind the AoD service).
    And aye, 6 years for the old thread :eek:
    Hopefully this one can reach 10k posts a bit quicker ;)

17. CAT-THE-FIFTH

Capodecina

It looks like I will be watching Planetes then!!:)

I might have to watch Lain too. For some reason I know the theme song though.

18. Werewolf

Commissario

I think the Lain theme was a hit on it's own, as they used an Australian band's existing single for the series.

19. CAT-THE-FIFTH

Capodecina

20. JBod

Soldato

I watched Appleseed and Vexille. Anyone recommend similar? Computer graphics style? Must be dubbed into English.