• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

FINALLY A DEAL ON GPU'S - IT HAS BEEN TOO LONG (NVIDIA 3060 & 3060Ti) !!

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Although the nvidia cards sound good and do have the more polished suite of features (broadcast, dlss, rtx) when you actually compare the benchmarks AMD do ok on the fps, this is even before some 'reviewers' bias off and mention this is not tested on FSR.

All AMD has to do to bury the hatchet is a) get a chunk cheaper b) up the game on the software suite so that the tools are just as useful (reliable).

Soldato
Although the nvidia cards sound good and do have the more polished suite of features (broadcast, dlss, rtx) when you actually compare the benchmarks AMD do ok on the fps, this is even before some 'reviewers' bias off and mention this is not tested on FSR.

All AMD has to do to bury the hatchet is a) get a chunk cheaper b) up the game on the software suite so that the tools are just as useful (reliable).

AMD pricing on the RX6800/RX6900 was "OK". However,pricing on the RX6700XT wasn't as well received by reviewers(at least it had more VRAM was cheaper than the RTX3070),and the RX6600XT,is more like mining time,is money time level pricing.

Next year is going to be "fun".

:(

Soldato
Im not keen on hearing the next gen are going to be guzzling power again, its obvious they will not be cheaper than this gen either.

It's very strange, I thought the world was moving to be more "efficient" and "sustainable". I wonder if legislation might be coming if gaming PC power requirements start to skyrocket - it sounds absurd but we've already had the same thing regarding vacuum cleaners and lightbulbs.

Associate
It's very strange, I thought the world was moving to be more "efficient" and "sustainable". I wonder if legislation might be coming if gaming PC power requirements start to skyrocket - it sounds absurd but we've already had the same thing regarding vacuum cleaners and lightbulbs.
its already happened in the US

Soldato
is that what nvidia did this generation?

The mobile RTX3060 uses the full GA106 GPU,the desktop one uses a lower quality bin with disabled shaders. Also,the mobile RTX3080M used the full GA104 GPU found in the RTX3070,before a desktop version came out,ie,the RTX3070TI. However,the RTX3070TI has very poor performance/watt,so it does looks like a parts bin special,with full GA104 GPUs which couldn't be used for the RTX3080M,and leftover GDDR6X.

Soldato
The mobile RTX3060 uses the full GA106 GPU,the desktop one uses a lower quality bin with disabled shaders. Also,the mobile RTX3080M used the full GA104 GPU found in the RTX3070,before a desktop version came out,ie,the RTX3070TI. However,the RTX3070TI has very poor performance/watt,so it does looks like a parts bin special,with full GA104 GPUs which couldn't be used for the RTX3080M,and leftover GDDR6X.
The GDDR6X accounts for a lot of the extra power considering the Ti only has around 250 extra cuda cores and a 50mhz clock bump yet uses 70w more.

I'd imagine if Nvidia had made the 3080 with standard GDDR6 it would only pull around 260w also.

Soldato
The GDDR6X accounts for a lot of the extra power considering the Ti only has around 250 extra cuda cores and a 50mhz clock bump yet uses 70w more.

I'd imagine if Nvidia had made the 3080 with standard GDDR6 it would only pull around 260w also.

The full GA104 die first appeared in the RTX3080M,so it wouldn't surprise me if the full dies which are a leakier,just ended up in the RTX3070TI. I don't think it can be just the GDDR6X because the RTX3080 uses more GDDR6X chips but does not consume much more power:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-ti-founders-edition/34.html

Associate
Yeah but if they have skimped on VRM, etc then surely they have skimped on everything else.

It's why the top end cards like suprim x and strixx have the best power availability, etc as they have the cooling and build quality to match.

and the highest prices. by the time you paid up and overclocked it to the max you would have been better of spending that sort of money on the next card higher up in the range.

Associate
I'm not convinced the cooling will be poor as the OC version has a significantly better cooler than the none OC version and it's not a hot running card to begin with. I'll report back either way with my findings. I have no interest in a noisy or hot card so here's hoping.

Personally, I don't know why you'd ever bother buying a super high-end 3060ti other than availability pressures - might as well just get a 3070 at that price point.

Same here.

Associate

The RTX3070 Ti are very poor value very little in it for the money even if you buy at FE pricing.

Associate
There is a YouTube reviewer that has reviewed every card out there against each other and inno3d were literally the worst you could buy. Like top 5 bottom out of 50 odd cards.

My take on this video round up is any one of those cards will do the job. Overclocking these days give very little in performance boost and is not worth the spending the extra and in some cases very large amounts of money for better cooling and components.

Only two things to consider

1. graphic card availability

2. price

Associate
Mine arrived this morning just before 9.
It's replacing a 1060 6GB (the giant Asus 3 fan one) - It's obviously a fair bit quicker, once it reached around 65-70 degrees you can hear the fans a bit but its nothing crazy or annoying, and would probably be made a little better with a slight undervolt or for those with better case cooling than I have it might not even be an issue.

The Haribo's sadly although in the box, have been claimed by the kids :(

Back
Top Bottom