Afghanistan - 20 years on

Soldato
I mean whats next? A suicide bomber will attach himself or enter next fully packed flight out of the airport because clearly everything is a mess over there.

This has to be the big concern. Upto now the focus has been on speed to get as many people out as possible. But you can no longer afford speed as its getting close to the deadline. They'll now need to search every person who's boarding a plane.

What do you expect them to do?

You'd expect the Taliban to get their people in line. Whether that means executing a leader of the group who disobeyed orders, they've gotta show they're in control of their own people.

Caporegime
Doing what though? Fighting back the Taliban again? For what? I don't even think they're responsible for the terror attacks, they have nothing to gain from it if anything all to lose.

They were freeing senior ISIS and Al Qaeda figures from prisons when taking back over the country so yes they do have some responsibility.

The Taliban vs ISIS thing isn’t black and white. There will be many within the Taliban who will be quite happy to see ISIS carrying out these attacks.

Permabanned
You'd expect the Taliban to get their people in line. Whether that means executing a leader of the group who disobeyed orders, they've gotta show they're in control of their own people.

You do realize that Afghanistan right now after 20 years of war is not just Taliban right? They made huge progress but there are plenty of ISIS and other terror groups operating in area. I do not like Taliban. Yet saying that somehow they have a handle on whole situation is ridicolous. The country has been at war for over century. Even after WW2 ended there were hard-core Nazis in forests causing havoc. To expect that Taliban has lid-tight control over Afghanistan is insane. they were literally hiding in mountains a month ago.

Man of Honour
I mean whats next? A suicide bomber will attach himself or enter next fully packed flight out of the airport because clearly everything is a mess over there.

I find that unlikely, they aren't just letting people onto flights unchecked - but who knows given the situation.

More likely an attempt to bring a plane down as it takes off or a mortar attack against the airport itself, etc.

Man of Honour
You do realize that Afghanistan right now after 20 years of war is not just Taliban right? They made huge progress but there are plenty of ISIS and other terror groups operating in area. I do not like Taliban. Yet saying that somehow they have a handle on whole situation is ridicolous. The country has been at war for over century. Even after WW2 ended there were hard-core Nazis in forests causing havoc. To expect that Taliban has lid-tight control over Afghanistan is insane. they were literally hiding in mountains a month ago.

Its not even just that the "Taliban" isn't exactly a co-hesive government or force; its multiple regional and local groups of leaders and fighters; no way they'll get control

Caporegime
searching people manually is crazy, they should just make them stip and walk through he gate naked then give them clothes on the other side.

just bullet anyone who approaches the gate clothed.

I'd take 60 seconds of embarrassment to ensure my safety if I was as desperate as these people claim, religion wouldn't even come into it
seems the USA believes the bomber blew himself up at the gate as he was about to be searched (not confirmed but just said on the pentagon Q&A)

Permabanned
If Biden wants to rescue his presidency he should just blame it on Taliban and re-deploy forces once again. It seems like Americans would support this and buy it.

Soldato
Doing what though? Fighting back the Taliban again? For what? I don't even think they're responsible for the terror attacks, they have nothing to gain from it if anything all to lose.
It means that terrorist will begin breeding again in the country and next time the bomb will be on America's doorstep.

Back
Top Bottom