Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
For me pf has blown out for 2 reasons
mostly worn/non-pliable gasket that cause the pf not too lock as tightly, although handle is in same place (I had problems buying correct size conical gasket to replace it )
secondly (rarely) problems with the over pressure valve causing too much pressure and blowing off the pf (machine neededa good descale)
i actually did descale the machine about a month ago

Soldato
I'm pretty sure my Mara is going to want a descale soon...I hear mixed things about it though.

There is an official Lelit YouTube video on the process though....

Man of Honour
OP
its usually the gasket thats causing the issue, unless you have a silicone one the rubber hardens over time and prevents you from turning the handle far enough round to lock - to me it looks like you replaced it with too thick a gasket so the handle isn't sitting at 90degrees like it should.

Soldato
How it looks fresh with new gasket and i also cleaned the shower
no looking at the images - looks like the gasket must be too thick can't believe it's designed to lock at 7 oclock.

e: I've used these folks who have manuals etc to get the right part
https://www.cafeparts.com/Bezzera-G...et-Portafilter-Ø-72x55.5x9.3-Mm/Product/16714

I'm pretty sure my Mara is going to want a descale soon...I hear mixed things about it though.
I may search for something other citric, I've always used it, but after reading an article on residue from it , wonder if I'm getting it wrong

took the plunge on some glasses - melitta 80ml's double wall, amazon, after price drop
impressed - I can see the crema, so, asthetically pleasing,

51147996886_c6f575ea76_o_d.jpg

one down one to go - they have a higher mortality than porcelain.

Last edited:
Caporegime
no looking at the images - looks like the gasket must be too thick can't believe it's designed to lock at 7 oclock.

e: I've used these folks who have manuals etc to get the right part
https://www.cafeparts.com/Bezzera-Group-Head-Filter-Holder-Gasket-Portafilter-Ø-72x55.5x9.3-Mm/Product/16714

I may search for something other citric, I've always used it, but after reading an article on residue from it , wonder if I'm getting it wrong

one down one to go - they have a higher mortality than porcelain.

I have or had 2 Starbucks double walled mugs, cracked one in the first week and the 2nd one pretty much sits in the cupbard permanently.

6EbwE9u.jpg

But for espresso shot glasses, I got some solid glass espresso cups too.

My favourite espresso cup is this one I picked up in Korea. The stoneware on this is lovely.

KN2OQdH.jpg

It actually matches my mug from Japan.

2vmJ4DZ.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I have or had 2 Starbucks double walled mugs, cracked one in the first week and the 2nd one pretty much sits in the cupbard permanently.

Ditto - i've had about 6 bodum double wallers in total, managed to put a teaspoon through one with too intense string, my latest two live in the cupboard awaiting the next time i buy some flowering tea (its been about 5 years so far!)

Soldato
Can anyone help me?

My parents have an integrated AEG bean-to-cup machine (PE4541-M). According to AEG technical support, it's actually made by DeLonghi but I can't find any additional information about that.

I've done what I can to dial it in, the initial hit is nicely balanced but I'm getting a sour after-taste.

I'm using washed Ethiopian Kantite beans, roasted on 3rd September. The tasting notes say citrus and stone fruit flavours, so some acidity is to be expected, but I'm not getting this sour after-taste when I use my French Press. I've also noticed the same issue with some store-bought Kenyan beans so I'm pretty confident it's the machine.

If I understand correctly, a sour taste means the coffee is under-extracted. I can control the grind but I've already got it on the finest setting it will go. Anything coarser and the sour taste is more noticeable earlier in the sipping.

I have limited control beyond that. I can choose 'Extra Mild, Mild, Normal, Strong, and Extra Strong' as a strength setting on the machine and I can choose single-shot or double-shot, but it doesn't seem to be particularly consistent.

A single shot on the finest grind setting can take anywhere from 12–15 seconds and produces about 28–33g of liquid. A double shot takes 18–20 seconds and produces 39–45g of liquid.

I can't tell if single/double uses the same amount of ground coffee or not. I have weighed the puck that comes out at the end but it goes anywhere from 12g to 19g depending on how wet it is and there's no obvious correlation between weight and selecting single/double. The lowest measurement suggests that there's only maybe 10g of ground beans going into a single shot — certainly less than you would use in a normal espresso machine.

I've compared doing two single shots to a cup with a double shot and it doesn't seem to make a noticeable amount of difference to the flavour.

Beyond adding milk to it to mellow out the after-taste, I've run out of ideas. I could keep using the French Press but I like the convenience of the B2C machine.

Is there anything I'm missing?

Caporegime
These kind of machines are typically dialed in for dark roasts, as generally speaking, a rather sweeping statement. People who like coffee, but not really INTO coffee and buy these all in one entry level machines are used to the instant coffee taste and then tend to flavour dark roast profiles.

People who are REALLY into coffee, separate grinder and whatnot, they start experimenting lighter roasts, which are the more citrus side of the flavour profile.

So...try a dark roast coffee and see?

Soldato
These kind of machines are typically dialed in for dark roasts, as generally speaking, a rather sweeping statement. People who like coffee, but not really INTO coffee and buy these all in one entry level machines are used to the instant coffee taste and then tend to flavour dark roast profiles.

People who are REALLY into coffee, separate grinder and whatnot, they start experimenting lighter roasts, which are the more citrus side of the flavour profile.

Ah ok, thanks Raymond — I'll get some dark roast beans and report back. :)

Soldato
Can anyone help me?

My parents have an integrated AEG bean-to-cup machine (PE4541-M). According to AEG technical support, it's actually made by DeLonghi but I can't find any additional information about that.
Not that I would expect an identical setup, but I've weighed the beans used in my DeLonghi ESAM4200 for single and double shots.

When turned up to maximum strength, it uses 12g for a single and 18g for a double. I prefer the flavour I get from a single (drink size dialled just above smallest - maybe 8 o'clock on the dial).

As such, I make 2 single drinks into a small cup of hot water. That's 24g of beans! But I do use a 50/50 mix of full caff and decaf so it's not cheap but it's not rocket fuel either.

YMMV but what I did was put a fixed amount of beans in the hopper and count the drinks it took to empty. After a few tries I was able to get 72g to produce 6 singles with no leftover beans nor "empty" grinder time. 72/6 = 12g :)

N.B. I haven't checked, but would presume the grinder runs on a timed system rather than weight.

Soldato

Does the explain why most shop bought bean are often really dark (and smell foul at the same time) I've never really liked dark roasts as to me they always tasted a bit burnt

Caporegime
Does the explain why most shop bought bean are often really dark (and smell foul at the same time) I've never really liked dark roasts as to me they always tasted a bit burnt

Partly. Dark roast can also be a way to mask the bad quality beans. The saying goes that the more you cook something, the more you taste the chef and less the farmer.

So the lighter roast you taste more of the natural flavour of the bean, if the beans is bad to begin with then you roast it darker to mask the flavour.

Soldato
sounds as though the beans are still fairly young too - where you do need finer grind - so perhaps wait a week and try again -
I have burned through, newly roasted coffee, trying/failing to dial it in on a grinder+manual machine.

for really dark roasts (we've discussed the oily waitrose mahlong *** before) you have to wary about excess residue fouling the burrs.

Soldato
Not that I would expect an identical setup, but I've weighed the beans used in my DeLonghi ESAM4200 for single and double shots.

When turned up to maximum strength, it uses 12g for a single and 18g for a double. I prefer the flavour I get from a single (drink size dialled just above smallest - maybe 8 o'clock on the dial).

As such, I make 2 single drinks into a small cup of hot water. That's 24g of beans! But I do use a 50/50 mix of full caff and decaf so it's not cheap but it's not rocket fuel either.

YMMV but what I did was put a fixed amount of beans in the hopper and count the drinks it took to empty. After a few tries I was able to get 72g to produce 6 singles with no leftover beans nor "empty" grinder time. 72/6 = 12g :)

N.B. I haven't checked, but would presume the grinder runs on a timed system rather than weight.

Thanks for that, really helpful. I’m not sure about the grinder but yes, I assume it’s a timer.

Good idea about weighing a set amount of beans to pinpoint the number of drinks/beans.

I’ll give it a go.

sounds as though the beans are still fairly young too - where you do need finer grind - so perhaps wait a week and try again -
I have burned through, newly roasted coffee, trying/failing to dial it in on a grinder+manual machine.

for really dark roasts (we've discussed the oily waitrose mahlong *** before) you have to wary about excess residue fouling the burrs.

Another good shout, I’ll see if there’s any improvement as the beans age a bit.

Thanks for all your input.

Man of Honour
OP
on an anaerobic kick at the moment, if you like a fruity flavoured coffee you have to try some - had some black cat on a limited run and trying crankhouse's offering now. Not sure i can go back to normally processed coffees now! Got a cup of the Finca Los Alpes on the go and the flavours and aromas are amazing.

0Xf3jF0l.png.jpg

Cordillera de Fuego Anaerobic, Finca Los Alpes Carbonic Maceration & Banko Gotiti Anaerobic Strawberry from Crankhouse coffee

Soldato
Cordillera de Fuego Anaerobic, Finca Los Alpes Carbonic Maceration & Banko Gotiti Anaerobic Strawberry from Crankhouse coffee
anaerobic looks a bit rich for me £11/150g , but process seems complex https://drwakefield.com/coffees/costa-rica-cordillera-del-fuego-anaerobic/
it's like a variant on the ones ingested by the animals.

[brings to mind pathology school joke - professor - two rules of medicine 'never be shocked' - tells students to follow him insert finger in cadavre and lick it,
afterwards - second rule 'observation' - you may have spotted I swapped fingers]

Man of Honour
OP
Last edited:
Soldato
What are the go to coffee grinders these days?

I fancy trying some of these more unusual coffee suggestions but don't feel my Delonghi bean to cup machine will do it justice. That said, I would also then need to grab an espresso machine...

Back
Top Bottom