Lenovo Legion 5 Pro

Associate
Has anybody used LG CX (or other 4k@120hz TV) as a monitor with Legion 5 Pro? Have been reading about problems with possible bandwidth limitations to 32gb/s with HDMI 2.1

Will get my beast today or tomorrow.

Soldato
Has anybody used LG CX (or other 4k@120hz TV) as a monitor with Legion 5 Pro? Have been reading about problems with possible bandwidth limitations to 32gb/s with HDMI 2.1

I've ran games on my 55" CX at 4k@120hz with no issues at all. Had vsync on and off to make sure it locking at 120fps. Super smooth no ghosting etc.

Associate
So I got my Legion 5 pro. Everything seems okay, but first thing I noticed was some odd sound from right of the keyboard. There is obviously fan underneath and noise is more like bad bearing. I am going to open it tomorrow and see maybe there is something rubbing against the fan etc.
Or maybe it is normal, waiting for some feedback.

EDIT! Did dead pixel check, found frickin 8 dead pixels across the screen. This is going back!

Last edited:
Soldato
So I got my Legion 5 pro. Everything seems okay, but first thing I noticed was some odd sound from right of the keyboard. There is obviously fan underneath and noise is more like bad bearing. I am going to open it tomorrow and see maybe there is something rubbing against the fan etc.

EDIT! Did dead pixel check, found frickin 8 dead pixels across the screen. This is going back!

Oh dear. That’s not good at all. You just eyeballing it or got a tool? I’ve just ordered a L7/3080 with the WQXGA so hoping for a quality screen with no dead pixels. What’s their policy on dead pixels?

Soldato
Thankfully no dead or stuck pixels. I didn't run the test just eyeballed it as if I can't see it then it can't bug me.

Are there L7 owners in this thread as well? Just wanted to share experiences going forward.

Caporegime

I've got what looks like a tiny bit of dirt on my 5 Pro's screen. Think I can live with it for the price.

Just upgraded the SSD and ordered some CL20 DIMMs to replace the stock RAM.

Caporegime
Which ram did you go for? I'm looking as well. Was hoping to get some CL16s/3200mhz @1.2v but can't find any in stock. Ta.

I don’t think there are any CL16 3200Mhz that work with AMD CPUs as you need XMP to be supported and its not support on AMD at all as best I'm aware. The Legion 5 Pro will default to the JEDEC profile only.

This is what I went for:

Kingston Fury Impact KF432S20IB1K2/32 32GB

It's CL20 and dual rank (there is a single rank version ending B2K2.

Soldato
I don’t think there are any CL16 3200Mhz that work with AMD CPUs as you need XMP to be supported and its not support on AMD at all as best I'm aware. The Legion 5 Pro will default to the JEDEC profile only.

This is what I went for:

Kingston Fury Impact KF432S20IB1K2/32 32GB

It's CL20 and dual rank (there is a single rank version ending B2K2.

Cheers. Been out of the game for a while so just catching back up. Totally forgot Latency was a thing so just finding my feet again. This is what i've currently got:

cpuz1.png

So looking to improve on that if possible.

Cheers,

Associate

I tried my Legion 7 with LG BX and its limited to 8bit at 4K RGB 120hz unfortunately.

Last edited:
Caporegime
From the specs:

"This product requires enabling XMP in BIOS to operate at the rated speed. Otherwise, the memory kit will operate at the default speed set by the system."

May not work on AMD. I'd contact support and check what the JEDEC profile is.

Caporegime
Cheers Dave. I'll contact g.skill see what their take it.

I've not seen it mentioned being used on the 5 Pro but given it only needs 1.2V for 3200mhz it could potentially work. If their Jedec profile is slower than 3200mhz then I'd avoid.

The Kingston Fury Impact definitely works as a plan B but that is CAS20.

Edit:

If you Google the part number there's some info on Reddit saying they default to CL22 on AMD.

Soldato
I've not seen it mentioned being used on the 5 Pro but given it only needs 1.2V for 3200mhz it could potentially work. If their Jedec profile is slower than 3200mhz then I'd avoid.

The Kingston Fury Impact definitely works as a plan B but that is CAS20.

Edit:

If you Google the part number there's some info on Reddit saying they default to CL22 on AMD.

Again cheers. That was my worry. I have searched, will do so again. Can i ask a favour? When you get you memory will you post up your CPU-Z results so i can see what should be expected? If g.skill is going to 22 then its the KFI for me. Cheers.

PS: Is it the discussion from a year ago? Only I've also read the 5 series doesn't act the same as 4 series AMD laptop chips. I've also read that AMD is ready to open up memory profiles in BIOS for their laptops as well. Might be a game changer if so.

Caporegime
Again cheers. That was my worry. I have searched, will do so again. Can i ask a favour? When you get you memory will you post up your CPU-Z results so i can see what should be expected? If g.skill is going to 22 then its the KFI for me. Cheers.

PS: Is it the discussion from a year ago? Only I've also read the 5 series doesn't act the same as 4 series AMD laptop chips. I've also read that AMD is ready to open up memory profiles in BIOS for their laptops as well. Might be a game changer if so.

Here's a possible solution:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/thaiphoon-burner.18937487/

You can use Taiphoon burner to set your own JEDEC profiles. Looks like they used that Gksill too.

Back
Top Bottom