Do you throw away lots of food?

Soldato
I don’t unless it’s actually mouldy. Plus non edible things like egg shells, apple cores etc.

Many people throw too much food away. Friend cooked a spaghetti bolognese and binned about a third of it. I would have saved it, freeze it and use as a jacket potato filling.

People throwing away food like this makes me feel sick

Caporegime
I am guilty I’m afraid. I often buy too much food so I have a choice but quite a bit gets chucked away.

I don’t get why there’s such a problem if I’ve paid for it. I’m not taking it off others tables to throw in the bin am I?

Soldato
I am guilty I’m afraid. I often buy too much food so I have a choice but quite a bit gets chucked away.

I don’t get why there’s such a problem if I’ve paid for it. I’m not taking it off others tables to throw in the bin am I?

Well, for a start, the environmental impact of farming surplus food that gets thrown away must be significant.

Soldato
Is there anything you don't judge people for OP?
well he is getting some provocative/trolling replies. quid pro quo;
but I agree with the sentiment - who wouldn't castigate 'friends' for wasting food.

but afaik the problem starts at the supermarkets - as gets reported in the press, them disposing of bread/wonky items etc. just like amazon/burberry.... sending stuff to the tip.
But, all symptomatic of the disposable society to wit clothing/electronic goods .... so why would they treat food differently.

Caporegime
well he is getting some provocative/trolling replies. quid pro quo;
but I agree with the sentiment - who wouldn't castigate 'friends' for wasting food.

but afaik the problem starts at the supermarkets - as gets reported in the press, them disposing of bread/wonky items etc. just like amazon/burberry.... sending stuff to the tip.
But, all symptomatic of the disposable society to wit clothing/electronic goods .... so why would they treat food differently.
What trolling replies?

Soldato
I don't think we're too horrendous. But not completely waste free.

I either find sometimes meal plans change and then you're left with ingredients you can't use.

Fruit and veg can sometimes spoil quicker than you anticipate.

I also find it annoying that supermarkets don't a) have more loose veg and b) have the loose veg priced competitively. If I go into Aldi for a courgette and they sell them in a 3 pack for 49p, and you might find they've got loose ones for sale but at 99p each.

I absolutely hate buying bread. Most bread you get maybe 3/4 days out of, and the small loaves tend to be a bit naff, or even still too big.

Caporegime
Supermarkets should sell more things for one person too. I like Tesco’s battered cod, but the pieces are very large and ones enough. Why can’t they sell them in 1’s instead of 2? There’s an awful lot of single people out there. Sainsbury’s are the same. Every just cook meal they do either serves 2, 4 or more. What about us single folk?

Associate
I don't think we're too horrendous. But not completely waste free.

I either find sometimes meal plans change and then you're left with ingredients you can't use.

Fruit and veg can sometimes spoil quicker than you anticipate.

I also find it annoying that supermarkets don't a) have more loose veg and b) have the loose veg priced competitively. If I go into Aldi for a courgette and they sell them in a 3 pack for 49p, and you might find they've got loose ones for sale but at 99p each.

I absolutely hate buying bread. Most bread you get maybe 3/4 days out of, and the small loaves tend to be a bit naff, or even still too big.
I slice and freeze and surplus courgettes. Fresh gets used in salads, frozen in sauces.

Bread is strange one.

Anyone who has ever baked bread, knows that it doesn't keep fresh very long. (The obvious exception being rye sourdough.)

Commercial bread however, keeps and keeps and keeps.

Very suspicious and that's enough info to know that anything made with Chorleywood baking process (yippee, industrial bread was a British invention), shouldn't really be called bread at all. Vile stuff.

(To any aspiring bread bakers: most properly proved breads freezes quiet well - even white wheat ones.)

To the OP's question: almost never. It's not hard to cook what won't keep first. Or at least not for me.

Soldato
I’ve never used my food bin.
We mostly filled ours with 'organic waste', such as apple cores, peelings, stems, stalks and any other offcut bits that the dogs can't eat, along with any compostable packaging. Lately it's also been added to with whatever the kids drop on the floor (and cannot be eaten by the dogs), but since they're not really old enough to even hold cutlery yet it's probably permissible. It all goes to fertiliser and energy places instead of landfill anyway, so far more environmentally friendly.

How long do you keep spuds for before chucking them?
Keep them until they get up and start singing the Small Potatoes theme song....

Soldato
(To any aspiring bread bakers: most properly proved breads freezes quiet well - even white wheat ones.)
Frozen bread never comes out as something you can eat like on the first day it was baked - nice piece of cheese/jam .... fine for toast though; re-baking/crisping doesn't work.
old bread is great for bread&butter pudding, or will crumb it &freeze for use in puddings like treacle tart.

What trolling replies?
if the cap fits ... I’m not taking it off others tables to throw in the bin am I
Why can’t they sell them in 1’s instead of 2? There’s an awful lot of single people out there.
you can thaw/split/refrigerate have it a few days later ?
but parents, who buy for an older neighbour, tell me, Morrissons, and I guess others, do single portions of many prep'd meals. - what is it 1/3rd households are singles.

Soldato
This is the argument that I cannot get. What does that have to do with me? I’m not taking it off their tables am I? They wouldn’t get it all for free if I didn’t buy it?

Its not about taking food off them, its about appreciating what you have and not be wasteful of it. There are countries where people barely have anything to eat and can read or see people in the west waste tonnes of food a year, its disgusting and is it any wonder why many of these people might risk life and limb to travel across the world to try and get a piece of it.

At the end of the day, its your money so its your choice.

Soldato
There are people that can’t afford food.

If you plan meals ahead, you only buy what you are making that week. few days ahead. Plus saving money.

Absolutely, but I was addressing his point that wasting “his” food doesn’t impact other people. It absolutely does. Look at southern Spain. Covered in plastic and using millions of gallons of water so the rest of Europe can have out of season veg all year round. How much of that ends up in the bin? It’s shocking.

Supermarkets should sell more things for one person too. I like Tesco’s battered cod, but the pieces are very large and ones enough. Why can’t they sell them in 1’s instead of 2? There’s an awful lot of single people out there. Sainsbury’s are the same. Every just cook meal they do either serves 2, 4 or more. What about us single folk?

There’s enough unnecessary packaging on ready meals etc without turning a serves 4 meal into 4 lots of serves 1. Don’t you own some plastic containers or cling film you could use to save the other portions and have another time? It’s not exactly beyond the wit of man to cook extra food and have it for lunch or dinner later in the week.

Back
Top Bottom