*** Official September 14th Apple Event (18:00 BST) ***

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
I will also throw in that the 120hz VRR on my Ipad Pro induces migraines and as a result I have fixed the refresh rate to 60hz. I can't imagine the Iphone 120hz being much different but willing to be corrected :D

It may be different as the iPhones use OLED which have a far better response time.

Soldato
Sometimes it's the little things - I'd feel better if I ended the day with a 50% battery than if I ended the day at 10%. Even if the 10% battery NEVER ran out during my normal use, I'd still feel better with the 50% phone. Like I said - the little things :p

also important and often forgotten is that batteries degrade. My X has lost 30% of its capacity already - if you can do a day with a good chunk spare then you have room to still make a day in the future. If you get a day just then after a year you will no longer get a day

fez

fez

Caporegime
also important and often forgotten is that batteries degrade. My X has lost 30% of its capacity already - if you can do a day with a good chunk spare then you have room to still make a day in the future. If you get a day just then after a year you will no longer get a day

How old is it? In theory thats a 4 year old phone with well over 1000 charges on it! Only 30% degradation is pretty good IMO. I just replaced my iPhone X battery and its made it like new again so if yours is lagging a bit I would look into it.

Soldato
I’m considering finally upgrading my iPhone X (used to be in the every year gang), partly due to the battery degradation.

I’ve always considered buying a tablet particularly for a little more screen real estate as I still can’t quite convince myself to go for the larger iPhones.

Anyone considering either the iPhone 13 mini and/or the new iPad Mini? Seems like now might be the time to invest in the iPad mini as it has all of the latest tech and connectivity options.

Associate
Will be begrudgingly upgrading to 13Pro from 8Plus this year, was looking to upgrade last year but wasn't impressed enough by the 12; was hoping for no notch and 120Hz but smaller notch will have to do - not sure I could stick the 8Plus for a futher year (maybe if it wasn't for a bodged DIY cheap screen replacement I'd consider it)

Soldato
Am I correct in thinking there is no difference between the regular pro and max this year?

And the 13 to 13 pro is basically the brighter, higher refresh display and a telephoto camera for £300?

To be honest, I’m tempted to drop back to the regular 13 from an 11Pro. My wife needs an upgrade from a 6S and the 13pro isn’t really doing anything for me over the regular 13.

Soldato
Am I correct in thinking there is no difference between the regular pro and max this year?

And the 13 to 13 pro is basically the brighter, higher refresh display and a telephoto camera for £300?

There's no difference except battery. And I work out the cost difference from 13 to Pro as £170, not £300.

Soldato

To be honest, I’m tempted to drop back to the regular 13 from an 11Pro. My wife needs an upgrade from a 6S and the 13pro isn’t really doing anything for me over the regular 13.
I would start here https://www.apple.com/uk/iphone/compare/

Soldato
So yes, 1 GPU core which I’ll probably not notice, display differences which I absolutely will notice but could live without, telephoto camera and some ‘pro’ :p video stuff 1% of buyers will use.

And the possibility of more RAM in the Pro, a more premium build, and a higher resale value. With a greater device weight as the only negative.

Soldato
I will also throw in that the 120hz VRR on my Ipad Pro induces migraines and as a result I have fixed the refresh rate to 60hz. I can't imagine the Iphone 120hz being much different but willing to be corrected :D

I love the 120Hz on my iPad Pro and is one of the things I dearly wanted on the iPhone.

I’m considering finally upgrading my iPhone X (used to be in the every year gang), partly due to the battery degradation.

Lol at "finally" - I'm coming from a 7 :D

Soldato
Apple should introduce a middle capacity iPad on the lower end versions. It’s 64GB or 256GB and for that extra storage they charge 31% more.
Either do 128GB as the entry or offer it as a middle priced option. Seems they are only customer focused when it suits them :cry:

Soldato
It’s a bit more than that, in addition to your list:
The Pro’s have bigger improvements on 3 camera lenses over the standard 13, ProRes video which is the photo portrait mode selective focus for video, a larger battery ….and an effective £50 price drop over last years 12 Pro.

Soldato
Apple should introduce a middle capacity iPad on the lower end versions. It’s 64GB or 256GB and for that extra storage they charge 31% more.
Either do 128GB as the entry or offer it as a middle priced option. Seems they are only customer focused when it suits them :cry:

Which is why only the 64GB Air makes any sense at all. As soon as you move up to 256GB, the Pro is only 16% more and thus a total no-brainer.

Associate
I think that sums me up as well. Because my 12 Pro Max was replaced with a brand spanking new one (not a refurb) just three months or so ago, I’m happy to run it for at least another year.

Of course there isn’t. Do you seriously think they’d take a step back?

I was a bit disappointed there weren’t any new AirPods but never mind. They’ll appear eventually.
How's touch ID a step back? it is an additional safety layer, plus is a very convenient way of paying in the world of masked society. That's why I've stuck to my iPhone 8plus for so long, but as it started showing its age in the end I have caved and preordered 13 pro max.

Soldato

It’s a bit more than that, in addition to your list:
The Pro’s have bigger improvements on 3 camera lenses over the standard 13, ProRes video which is the photo portrait mode selective focus for video, a larger battery ….and an effective £50 price drop over last years 12 Pro.

And more memory. And better GPU. And stainless steel instead of aluminium.

And where did £300 come from?! The Pro is £170 more.

Commissario
How's touch ID a step back?
Doesn't work when your hands are wet.
Doesn't work when your hands are cold because they're all pruned and wrinkly.
Doesn't work when you're sweaty (see the first point).
Doesn't work when you're wearing gloves.
Doesn't work if you get a cut on your finger (been there, done that. Luckily I'd registered extra fingers).

I found TouchID to be far, far less reliable than FaceID.

paying in the world of masked society
With an Apple Watch, FaceID works perfectly with a mask on for both unlocking and also for using Apple Pay.

I've never had any problems with FaceID. It works if I'm wearing a mask, it works if I'm wearing sunglasses, it works if I'm wearing a hat. It works if I'm wearing a hat and sunglasses. It worked when I grew a huge beard and then it worked the day I shaved it off. It worked when my face was skinny, it carried on working while I got fat.
It works when I let my hair grow really long and it carried on working when I had a haircut.

It's just far more reliable than TouchID ever was.

I honestly didn't expect it when I changed from TouchID to FaceID but I'd never want to go back.

Back
Top Bottom