It's funny how (fuel shortages)

Commissario
But what there is
A lot of fuel stored up in them tanks that aint been used sincve the 2020 slow down as well as aviation fuel for sure.
Fuel does expire.
So its simple the tank farm owners ask the murdoch pals to print some ****.
Which they did.
And we flock to the pumps to use up all that unused stock.
I don't think I've read so much utter garbage since the last CT nutter I banned from the Covid section.

Soldato
All of which they do in the average of less than 150 miles a week, you do realise that for that to be an average millions of cars must be doing significantly less? And the sheer number of needless journeys done by car in the UK is frightening, from driving the kids to school less than a mile away to popping to the local shops round the corner people use cars all the time for journeys that they don’t need too. Yes people need to drive to work but they do that every week without causing utter chaos outside every petrol station in the country. The only thing that has changed from last week is needless panic buying and hoarding. Much like the big roll mountains that were amassed at the start of the pandemic it is a sad reflection in our pathetic society!

It was amusing during the 2000 petrol crisis. In those days I cycled to work (lived much closer than I do now) and by Wednesday the cycle sheds were rammed as suddenly people discovered that they could, in fact, make it into work on a bike rather than use the car. Someone had even come in on a child's bike complete with basket on the front and tassels on the handlebars, presumably nicked off their daughter. By Tuesday of the following week everyone was back in their cars.

Soldato
My parents are worried as got a concert this weekend to attend 60 mile round trip. Then got two nights away 90 miles away next week. They have the fuel for the concert and little journeys within a couple of miles around home, but not for the break. They may have some luck in getting some fuel en route or in the city. Usually make a day of it. So no issues of queuing at 2pm.

Soldato
It was amusing during the 2000 petrol crisis. In those days I cycled to work (lived much closer than I do now) and by Wednesday the cycle sheds were rammed as suddenly people discovered that they could, in fact, make it into work on a bike rather than use the car. Someone had even come in on a child's bike complete with basket on the front and tassels on the handlebars, presumably nicked off their daughter. By Tuesday of the following week everyone was back in their cars.

A friend moved to Uni in her aunts’ horse box van! As she only filled it up a week before the problem started and didn’t use it between. Friend’s aunt took her daughter as well as daughter was at Nottingham and friend was at Sheffield Hallam!

They had some strange looks at both places!

Associate
Was talking to a tanker driver today. He said there is no shortage of drivers it is that they are all following the money and getting paid more delivering other goods. The tanker operators are not willing to pay so the drivers are going elsewhere.

Man of Honour
100+ mile round trip this weekend to take my daughter to visit a university. I have enough fuel but it will wipe me out after that. Luckily I have several cars but by next week two will be empty. My emergency backup will be to dust off my 27 year old Corrado which I think still has most of a tank.

Soldato
Seems to have calmed down a bit today. I haven't even bothered to try and fill up since it all started so hopefully will be more normal by the end of the week.

Soldato
Most people can in London at least

Reminds of the the newspapers saying people can jump on the Tube to get to work instead, well last time i looked that doesn't extend much beyond London and funnily enough most of the population don't live/work in London, typical metropolitan elite thinking the entire country consists of them only!

Was talking to a tanker driver today. He said there is no shortage of drivers it is that they are all following the money and getting paid more delivering other goods. The tanker operators are not willing to pay so the drivers are going elsewhere.

Seems the the haulage association members would rather bounce the govt into importing cheap foreign labour instead, Starmer says he wants to let in 100,000! So much for being a party of the working class

It's all one big feedback loop, isn't it? What's betting things will carry on for a few more days at least now the word "Army" is plastered on front pages.

Has anything the government has done so far on this issue had any positive effect?

Nope according to shapps its either all drivers fault or its all going to go away soon, in other words we plan on doing nothing other than sitting on our hands and either berating everyone or making glib statements.

Fuel association are hoping that once everyones tanks are full demand will die down, experience says otherwise those who remember the fuel shortage 20 years ago remember all the people queuing at pumps just to top up their tanks which were mostly full anyway

I don't think I've read so much utter garbage since the last CT nutter I banned from the Covid section.

Would that begin with an /\...

Last edited:
Man of Honour

At the risk of sounding like a naysayer, I think that tanker driver was possibly being a tad economical with the truth.
When I was driving an oil tanker, (granted not petrol), if a power station needed ten x 5000 gallon loads of transformer oil in emergency on a Sunday or Bank Holiday, management would ask for volunteers and get injured in the rush.
In addition, good jobs aren’t exactly thick on the ground, so if you’re getting £2000 per month working for Acme oil distribution, you’d be a brave soul to switch to John Doe Oil at £2500 per month for maybe a couple of months when this hoo ha has hopefully died down, then hope to stroll back in at Acme Oil.

Caporegime
Must be nearly done now. The panicking people will be filled up and unable to collect anymore.
The supply will be catching up.

Just be a few stragglers who struggled to get some during the high panic getting filled up now. Probably back to normal by weekend.

Man of Honour
Must be nearly done now. The panicking people will be filled up and unable to collect anymore.
The supply will be catching up.

Just be a few stragglers who struggled to get some during the high panic getting filled up now. Probably back to normal by weekend.

From your lips to God’s ears we hope, my wife’s Peugeot 2008 has just about a quarter of a tank, and we have no need of it until next Saturday, when we’re due at a family bash some 13 miles away.
My wife is the eternal optimist, who when the reserve tank light comes on, just shrugs and says, “We’re good for London to Herne Bay with that amount!”
I have zero desire to be sitting by the side of the A2 freezing my **** off waiting for the AA to fetch a gallon of juice, so I hope that your optimism is justified.

Caporegime
100+ mile round trip this weekend to take my daughter to visit a university. I have enough fuel but it will wipe me out after that. Luckily I have several cars but by next week two will be empty. My emergency backup will be to dust off my 27 year old Corrado which I think still has most of a tank.

You do know fuel goes off? Right?

Soldato
Reminds of the the newspapers saying people can jump on the Tube to get to work instead, well last time i looked that doesn't extend much beyond London and funnily enough most of the population don't live/work in London, typical metropolitan elite thinking the entire country consists of them only!

Well it does. there are trains even from Birmingham that get you to london.

Anyways what im getting at is that when you live in london, you dont really need to drive up vs if you lived in a small town/village where you cant get anywhere without a car.

Man of Honour
You do know fuel goes off? Right?
Yes, fully aware. I occasionally run the engine and move the car a little. There was a small amount of fuel in the tank from 2019 and when I un-SORNed it this year it idled very roughly. But after topping up to a full tank it ran great again. So most of the fuel is fresh. I just haven't driven it since un-SORNing it and taking it to one show in July.

Back
Top Bottom