It's funny how (fuel shortages)

Deleted member 236143

D

Deleted member 236143

Nope petrol stations have not been full for a year.....
Refinery storage tanks .... storage being the word have always been filling and always are .... that is why they are called storage tanks or farms
When you pump fuel into your car do you think it just got refined and transported a few days ago? even just last month?
You know a refinery pretty much runs 24 hrs right
But yes maybe so they do not have enough storage so are just pouring all that excess down the drains.....

No matter where you live in the UK you will not be too far from a storage site- go drive past the scale of those farms and compare them to a tanker truck.

and I do not know the total UK storage hold for petrol, diesel, red diesel, and LPG gas
but i bet it is a ******* lot of it

Caporegime
Refinery storage tanks .... storage being the word have always been filling and always are .... that is why they are called storage tanks or farms
When you pump fuel into your car do you think it just got refined and transported a few days ago? even just last month?
But yes maybe so they do not have enough storage so are just pouring all that excess down the drains.....

No matter where you live in the UK you will not be too far from a storage site- go drive past the scale of those farms and compare them to a tanker truck.

and I do not know the total UK storage hold for petrol, diesel, red diesel, and LPG gas

Yes just in time logistics

Storing loads of petrol would be very expensive and pointless.

Only figures I can find is a strategic requirement for refiners to maintain 60 days of unrefined supply in the uk.

Associate
Saturday was fun trying to deliver the post. The main road I deliver to was at a stand still at 8:50 due to the petrol station which is about halfway down having queue’s in both directions. I ended up taking back stuff as I spent so long just trying to cut down back roads.

Man of Honour
Apparently one of the fuel stations in the town I work just had a delivery and people are out queuing already at 5am!

There must be online groups or something tracking the deliveries and alerting people.

I'm amazed this has gone on more than 1-2 days.

Soldato
Apparently one of the fuel stations in the town I work just had a delivery and people are out queuing already at 5am!

There must be online groups or something tracking the deliveries and alerting people.

I'm amazed this has gone on more than 1-2 days.
Facebook groups full of panic, people are bonkers and we are far to reliant on cars!

Man of Honour
Facebook groups full of panic, people are bonkers and we are far to reliant on cars!

There must literally be people alarm clocking notifications or something. The morning shift went in for 5 and already were delayed getting into work by the queues :s it has gone nuts around here and there isn't even a shortage of deliveries of fuel - I literally passed 2 tankers on their way into town as I was coming home earlier.

EDIT: Though it looks like they are funnelling people into just 2 pumps so they can control quantities manually which is actually making it worse because the queues are longer and makes the whole situation look worse panicking people more :s

Last edited:
Soldato
There must literally be people alarm clocking notifications or something. The morning shift went in for 5 and already were delayed getting into work by the queues :s it has gone nuts around here and there isn't even a shortage of deliveries of fuel - I literally passed 2 tankers on their way into town as I was coming home earlier.
The average uk car does about 150 miles a week half If which is probably just laziness so why on earth can’t people just listen to the advice not to buy unnecessarily!

Soldato

You're aware you can store even E85 fuel for up to 2 years.

Man of Honour
The average uk car does about 150 miles a week half If which is probably just laziness so why on earth can’t people just listen to the advice not to buy unnecessarily!

Some of my colleagues do like 30 miles a week mostly to work and back, live within reasonable walking distance of work if it came to it, rarely have more than about 50 miles of fuel in the tank and are now panicking and brimming the tank at every opportunity :s

Same mentality as having like 3 days worth of food in the house and panic buying when we have a little snow LOL.

Soldato
It's all one big feedback loop, isn't it? What's betting things will carry on for a few more days at least now the word "Army" is plastered on front pages.

Has anything the government has done so far on this issue had any positive effect?

Soldato
Some of my colleagues do like 30 miles a week mostly to work and back, live within reasonable walking distance of work if it came to it, rarely have more than about 50 miles of fuel in the tank and are now panicking and brimming the tank at every opportunity :s

Same mentality as having like 3 days worth of food in the house and panic buying when we have a little snow LOL.
That’s the elderly! Some hear the word snow in the weather or read newspapers’ never going to happen weather stories on the front page and strip the shelves of soup! I’m

Man of Honour
That’s the elderly! Some hear the word snow in the weather or read newspapers’ never going to happen weather stories on the front page and strip the shelves of soup! I’m

Had to laugh back I think 2018 - there was talk of heavy snow with the local news making a big deal about a beast from the east, etc. in about 3 days time but at the time it was mild and well up in the teens centigrade wise - as I passed the garage near work it was queued out to the road with people all in their winter coats and hats. They still had some fuel when I stopped after work but the shelves had been stripped of food staples.

In the end it was like half an inch of snow.

Caporegime
Plenty of people who made assumptions based on smooth JIT supply chains and for whatever reason don't fully fill their car up have been forced into a position of being threatened by a tragedy of the commons, logically they must panic or they risk their precarious lives becoming even more so.

Soldato

Or heaven forbid the shops close for a day at Christmas!

V F

V F

Soldato
Had to laugh back I think 2018 - there was talk of heavy snow with the local news making a big deal about a beast from the east, etc. in about 3 days time but at the time it was mild and well up in the teens centigrade wise - as I passed the garage near work it was queued out to the road with people all in their winter coats and hats. They still had some fuel when I stopped after work but the shelves had been stripped of food staples.

In the end it was like half an inch of snow.

You couldn't buy a snow shovel for a long time.

Soldato
Most people can’t use public transport to their work as either doesn’t exist, doesn’t run when they require it, have used it and it’s unreliable or need the car to go grocery shopping on the way back from work.
All of which they do in the average of less than 150 miles a week, you do realise that for that to be an average millions of cars must be doing significantly less? And the sheer number of needless journeys done by car in the UK is frightening, from driving the kids to school less than a mile away to popping to the local shops round the corner people use cars all the time for journeys that they don’t need too. Yes people need to drive to work but they do that every week without causing utter chaos outside every petrol station in the country. The only thing that has changed from last week is needless panic buying and hoarding. Much like the big roll mountains that were amassed at the start of the pandemic it is a sad reflection in our pathetic society!

Man of Honour
You couldn't buy a snow shovel for a long time.

Hah I remember that - somewhere, possibly Argos, had a massive load of salt for pathways, snow shovels and blue plastic sledges come in after it was all over and had them on display trying to flog them for weeks after.

Back
Top Bottom