Standard of driving in the UK going downhill.

Man of Honour
Now that people are blocking roads queuing for petrol, others have taken to bombing it down the wrong side of the road to get past them all. Then they get blocked and neither driver can reverse out of it :/
Someone can always reverse out of it, it just comes down to who backs down first.

Man of Honour
I'm not sure either has priority with that though, I was under the impression it was first come first serve but iirc its a bit ambiguous.

What? How is it ambiguous?

Rule 163 of the Highway Code:

• give way to oncoming vehicles before passing parked vehicles or other obstructions on your side of the road

Why would you think it was 'first come first served'? Even without the obvious rule in place it is fairly obvious that when you need to move onto the wrong side of the road to pass something, priority is to oncoming traffic and not you and not 'first come first served'. You're on the wrong side of the road!

Soldato
how many cars go faster than a guided missile on UK roads? :p (Ill give you a clue, "slow" guided missiles go about 500mph)
How many cars have access to military Dual frequency GPS.
Be nice if cars started using Galileo instead.

Last edited:
Soldato

Why would you think it was 'first come first served'? Even without the obvious rule in place it is fairly obvious that when you need to move onto the wrong side of the road to pass something, priority is to oncoming traffic and not you and not 'first come first served'. You're on the wrong side of the road!
If you're both committed, it says committed counts if you have to reverse or can't pull in already. Tbf the type of parking I'm thinking of is our estate where is a windy road and poor visibility so you'd be going past the car(s) before you could see what's round the corner. Hope that makes sense. The first come first serve bit still stands, if the cars are on your side but you've already committed you're first.

Edit I found the rule but it just says give way, I found a description on another site that wasn't quite right. My point is to do with a bit of judgement as how far away another car is as to whether someone should give way.

Last edited:
Soldato
My point is to do with a bit of judgement as how far away another car is as to whether someone should give way.

Yes... the judgement is whether you can clear the obstruction before the other person would be forced to wait for you... It's pretty easy, if there is obstruction on your side of the road, and you wouldn't be able to pass without blocking oncoming traffic, then you give way to them. Obviously cars parked on both sides of the road, or long stretches where you can't actually see oncoming traffic past the obstruction make this a bit more ambiguous, but otherwise there's not much open to interpretation.

Soldato
Yes... the judgement is whether you can clear the obstruction before the other person would be forced to wait for you... It's pretty easy, if there is obstruction on your side of the road, and you wouldn't be able to pass without blocking oncoming traffic, then you give way to them. Obviously cars parked on both sides of the road, or long stretches where you can't actually see oncoming traffic past the obstruction make this a bit more ambiguous, but otherwise there's not much open to interpretation.
Fair enough. Ironically I had to deal with this yesterday. Big range rover thing with cars on his side, I'd already committed and he didn't seem to be slowing. I moved over to the right (to discourage him from moving) as the road isn't wide enough for 2 cars. You might think I'm a ****, but the guy that followed me didn't and had to drive up the kerb to avoid the 4x4 which shouldn't have gone anyway.

Man of Honour
A lot of people either don't know, don't care or just don't visualise it but if you are approaching parked cars blocking your lane it is identical to pulling up to a junction onto another road with dashed lines perpendicular to your direction of travel.

Obviously in the real-world the scenario is often less straightforward and a bit of pragmatism has to be used by both parties but it isn't a case of first to the line and those that do so are generally not driving in accordance to the highway code and often rude/inconsiderate.

I can't find it now other than general guidance about single track roads but IIRC there is an exception as well in that if a heavy goods vehicle is approaching something blocking their lane while they are travelling uphill and you downhill then you should give way to them if possible even if normally you'd have priority.

Associate
Waiting to turn right into my sons school car park this morning and the person behind decided that they can't wait for 10-20 seconds and overtook me just as I go to drive onto the car park. Utterly **** and careless driving - I could have easily knocked them onto the pavement given it was a Daewoo Matiz of all things. That is the worse I've seen for a couple of days. Even the bloke manning the car park was like 'WTF?'.

Soldato

If there is no oncoming traffic before passing parked vehicles or other obstructions on your side of the road but then half way along oncoming traffic arrives are you expected to reverse back or would you expect the oncoming traffic to wait if there is no where to pull in?

Soldato
I can't find it now other than general guidance about single track roads but IIRC there is an exception as well in that if a heavy goods vehicle is approaching something blocking their lane while they are travelling uphill and you downhill then you should give way to them if possible even if normally you'd have priority.

Pretty sure this applies to all vehicles, not just HGVs (rule 155). Have an amusing memory from a very young age of this one, can't remember the exact details as I must have been about 7 or 8 at the time, but it involved a steep & narrow farm track and someone refusing to give way, which ended up with a taxi in a ditch needing to be pulled out with a tractor :D

Fair enough. Ironically I had to deal with this yesterday. Big range rover thing with cars on his side, I'd already committed and he didn't seem to be slowing. I moved over to the right (to discourage him from moving) as the road isn't wide enough for 2 cars. You might think I'm a ****, but the guy that followed me didn't and had to drive up the kerb to avoid the 4x4 which shouldn't have gone anyway.

Everyone knows that anyone who can afford a range rover is more important than you and so doesn't need to follow the rules of the road!

Waiting to turn right into my sons school car park this morning and the person behind decided that they can't wait for 10-20 seconds and overtook me just as I go to drive onto the car park. Utterly **** and careless driving - I could have easily knocked them onto the pavement given it was a Daewoo Matiz of all things. That is the worse I've seen for a couple of days. Even the bloke manning the car park was like 'WTF?'.

Have had similar, turning into my drive (on the right), clearly indicating right in advance, move to the right and swing the front of the car to the left in order to get the correct angle, stick it in reverse, and then as I'm about to start moving have to slam on the brakes because the car following me decided it would be a good idea to mount the kerb to pass behind me across the drive I'm about to enter :confused::confused:

If there is no oncoming traffic before passing parked vehicles or other obstructions on your side of the road but then half way along oncoming traffic arrives are you expected to reverse back or would you expect the oncoming traffic to wait if there is no where to pull in?

In this case if you have already committed to passing the obstruction before the other traffic was visible then you'd continue, just like if you pulled out of a side road because it was clear, you wouldn't be expected to stop and reverse back into it if another car appeared behind you before you'd gotten up to speed :p

Soldato
People right up your chuff on the dual carriageway when you are doing 70 ish overtaking slower vehicles in now way more common. I had a woman right on my bumper this morning in torrential rain, kids strapped in the back, "Baby on Board" sign swinging in the back window...

Back
Top Bottom