Royal Mail rant incoming...

Soldato
Problem is, while a camera is great for showing something did happen, it's not ideal for showing it didn't, all it will show is that the postman didn't come to the door and deliver the parcel during the specific time window of the video you provide.

Can you start small claims proceedings against RM if they don't cooperate?

If RM is saying something was delivered on x date at x time video evidence would be very useful.

I don’t think courier photos are that useful, they often photo the closed door meaning they could just pick the item up straight after.

Agree about threatening them with small claims court.

Soldato
If RM is saying something was delivered on x date at x time video evidence would be very useful.

I don’t think courier photos are that useful, they often photo the closed door meaning they could just pick the item up straight after.

Agree about threatening them with small claims court.

You'd still have to be able to prove that the video you provided covered the time stated, I'm not sure if consumer grade equipment is reliable enough to be legally admissible (albeit this would be a civil case where the burden of proof is far lower).

Soldato
Had issues with Royal Mail in the past although in my case the item had gone missing within their system but was RM Special delivery so thought all would be ok. It was a complete nightmare to claim they even at one point sent me a book of 6 stamps as compensation for the lost item which value was £125. They wanted evidence of the items value from at least two company’s and even though they admitted they had lost it proof that it had not been delivered. It took over 4 weeks and then all I got was a cheque in the post with no letter or anything for exactly £125 no refund of the original postage paid. Tbh Special delivery is great when it works but if it goes wrong you get shafted and may as well have sent it by Hermes….

Soldato
You'd still have to be able to prove that the video you provided covered the time stated, I'm not sure if consumer grade equipment is reliable enough to be legally admissible (albeit this would be a civil case where the burden of proof is far lower).
Ring are stored on their servers so not as if you can manipulate the data :confused:

This might help you - with RMSD the Postie is supposed to hand the item over to an actual person with proof of identification, if they havent done that then they havent provided the service you have paid for, this is the case even during the COVID pandemic, dont let then fob you off. It is highly likely the Postie got lazy and leaft the item on the customer's doorstep and it got nicked or your Customer is lying :)

Soldato
OP
This might help you - with RMSD the Postie is supposed to hand the item over to an actual person with proof of identification, if they havent done that then they havent provided the service you have paid for, this is the case even during the COVID pandemic, dont let then fob you off. It is highly likely the Postie got lazy and leaft the item on the customer's doorstep and it got nicked or your Customer is lying :)

Basically the reason I used RMSD, supposed to be robust. They've fobbed me off 3 times and officially closed my dispute. I'm unable to raise the issue with them again, in the hands of postal review now.

I asked multiple times on messages where the parcel was left and never got a clear answer. This was the last reply...

I realise the signature is not that of the recipient, and would like to explain that during the current situation with the pandemic Royal Mail took the decision to suspend capturing signatures from the recipient and instead the Delivery Officer would sign for the item and then capturing the name of the person accepting the item. In this case the name entered was ********.
My position on this has not changed and should you wish to appeal my decision and response you will need to contact the Postal Review Panel. They can be contacted by emailing [email protected], or by writing to Freepost Postal Review Panel.

Please quote the reference number at the top of this email.

Thank you for contacting me again and I am sincerely sorry that I cannot send you a more favourable reply.

Associate
Having read thread, one thing not mentioned is the chap who bought the RAM should go down to his delivery office and question the managers. That way you can possibly find out what the postie supposedly did.

Soldato
Having read thread, one thing not mentioned is the chap who bought the RAM should go down to his delivery office and question the managers. That way you can possibly find out what the postie supposedly did.
He's too busy gaming with his new RAM and thinking how to spend the £195 he's about to get refunded by pulling a fast one.

Soldato
Ring are stored on their servers so not as if you can manipulate the data :confused:

Fair enough, that doesn't apply to all cameras though

Will they actually help him though? The contract is between RM and the sender, not the recipient

Soldato

Im afraid thats incorrect. The postie will not ask for any ID at all, unless its a service that has been paid for - ie Royal mail age verification when sending age restricted items

In current times the postman signs for the parcel as in this case and leave it on the floor by the door, but he HAS to see someone from the address take the item inside the property. If not he has to take it back to the depot.

The GPS tracking dosent pinpoint the exact address, its accurate to within 5 - 10 meteres. So its possible its gone to a nieghbours property by mistake - i assume the reciever has checked with the nieghbours?,

You could always threaten legal action againt RM, see if that helps. It sucks that the OP is out of pocket tho.

But ill say this - i work in 4 diufferent branches of post office - and in that time not one RMSD item has ever gone astray - well not that i know of anyhow. Its a premium service and they give it huge priority.

You deffo addressed it correctly didnt you?

EDIT : looking at the buyers neg feedback i dont think id have sold to him in the first place.

Last edited:
Associate
Will they actually help him though? The contract is between RM and the sender, not the recipient

Only one way to find out.

Postie is the best source of the answer, and if buyer is genuine he won't have any issue following this up locally. All he needs is the tracking code, the depot can get all the info up locally from that.

Soldato
Cost me £26 to send a 3.5kg parcel RMSD last week. It arrived, apparently...

*placed on scales* *blinks* *£26*
uZ9dnJ7m.jpg

You think that's bad - I have just paid £41 to send something with ParcelForce.

Well, I say send - They didn't turn up for it. "Sender not available" at 15:04, when I was at home, no doorbell press, no knock on the door, no dogs barking, nothing captured on the Ring cam...... Here's hoping they try harder tomorrow.

Associate
Well, I say send - They didn't turn up for it. "Sender not available" at 15:04, when I was at home, no doorbell press, no knock on the door, no dogs barking, nothing captured on the Ring cam...... Here's hoping they try harder tomorrow.

Price is fine imo, logistics is expensive, we know that. However PF are a mess, and worth avoiding. Same as RM, lack of staff and little attempt to address it. But £41 for nothing is pathetic.

Soldato
OP
So its possible its gone to a nieghbours property by mistake - i assume the reciever has checked with the nieghbours?

Neighbours house is empty, he's checked with same number on adjacent street that has similar name (road v close).

You could always threaten legal action againt RM, see if that helps. It sucks that the OP is out of pocket tho.

Maybe an option of last resort, although the cost could quickly become more than the item i'm claiming for I imagine?

But ill say this - i work in 4 diufferent branches of post office - and in that time not one RMSD item has ever gone astray - well not that i know of anyhow. Its a premium service and they give it huge priority.

I've always sworn by it, with over 5000 parcels sent with RM over the last 20 years on ebay (based on my seller feedback, likely a little less), SD making a large part of that, i've only ever had 3 parcels go missing and they were regular 2nd class.

You deffo addressed it correctly didnt you?

Yeah, definitely, mildly OCD about these things and always check up addresses again before any parcel goes to the post office. Receipt again verified with right house number/postcode.

EDIT : looking at the buyers neg feedback i dont think id have sold to him in the first place.

While his feedback is low and marked by a prominent negative, looks as though it was something out of his hands entirely so giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Postie is the best source of the answer, and if buyer is genuine he won't have any issue following this up locally. All he needs is the tracking code, the depot can get all the info up locally from that.

This is a good point, i've exhausted what I can do from my side for the time being, 2 visits to royal mail centre, 1 to post office, 3 calls to RM of which I was waiting a good 25 minutes each time and a long chain of messages back/forth with RM and escalations that i've shared with the buyer.

@Apex apologies for tagging you in but based on The_Arbiters comments above, are you able to go directly down to your local RM hub and try and speak to someone? I'm stuck waiting for Postal Review at the moment and at a standstill.

Also, adding you into the thread gives you a chance to mention what you've done I might have forgot plus the other issues you've had with deliveries rather than myself parroting them.

Last edited:
Soldato

Just to add that this is a civil dispute so it’s based on the balance of probabilities and not beyond reasonable doubt. The video would be taken in good faith unless the other side had evidence that it was manipulated.

Soldato
Just to add that this is a civil dispute so it’s based on the balance of probabilities and not beyond reasonable doubt. The video would be taken in good faith unless the other side had evidence that it was manipulated.
I 'unno man. On the balance of probabilities CCTV evidence showing 'nothing' - I'd argue that the time stamp can easily be edited. Trying to get a court to acknowledge it is on the cloud blah blah... yeah... not sure.

Back
Top Bottom