Madeleine McCann cops ask Home Office for more money to continue search for missing child

Man of Honour
There's also the issue that being guilty of one crime doesn't necessarily mean being guilty of another crime. It's tempting to attach an unsolved crime to someone convicted of a similar crime, but there should still be the same requirement for evidence. Another criminal claiming they heard a confession doesn't mean much. Maybe the German police have more meaningful evidence in this case, evidence that hasn't been leaked to the press.

Man of Honour
I have no sympathy for Madeline’s parents. They should have been arrested and charged with abandoning children from day one.

From what I read, Kate and Gerry took their children on holiday with them and treated them like inconveniences. People who have children at the ages of the children at the time of Madeline’s disappearance either do things around the children or if they want an adult orientated holiday- leave kids with grandparents.

I had a lot to do with Safeguarding when this happened and it always came up at meetings:

1) There would never have been a conviction in this country if a Mum & Dad were sitting in front of a Tapas Bar while their flat/room was 100 yards away, that is not abandonment and especially when they were being looked on every 30 minutes (*edited from 30 seconds because of my phone*).

2) There were 7 adults and several children in the party so you need to arrest them all.

3) We have never let our kids leave our sides on holiday so don't try to bring it back on me.

4) People are still doing this on holiday. Sit round a pool in the day and observe and then wonder where the children are in the evening.

Last edited:
Capodecina
Soldato
I am quite disturbed by people who claim never never to allow their children out of their sight.

It is no wonder that so many adults are incapable of coping independently and that they end up with mental health issues in later life when expected to cope with the real world, deprived of the ever-present support and protection of Mummy and Daddy.

Associate
1) There would never have been a conviction in this country if a Mum & Dad were sitting in front of a Tapas Bar while their flat/room was 100 yards away, that is not abandonment and especially when they were being looked on every 30 seconds.

Does ANYONE believe that "30 seconds" statement? I don't....

It's awful what happened but I don't think the taxpayer should be funding limitless amounts of investigations now

Caporegime
Maybe the German police have more meaningful evidence in this case, evidence that hasn't been leaked to the press.

I think that's very likely. Police, in general, avoid giving out details so as not to interfere with the trial and the German police are even more tight lipped than the British police.

People are still doing this on holiday. Sit round a pool in the day and observe and then wonder where the children are in the evening.

Realistically, given that this happens millions upon millions of times without any negative impact, it's not a risky behaviour by any reasonable standard. Apparently many hotels offer monitoring services now, so they can listen in on the children and alert the parents if there's any disturbance in the room.

Soldato
I had a lot to do with Safeguarding when this happened and it always came up at meetings:
1) There would never have been a conviction in this country if a Mum & Dad were sitting in front of a Tapas Bar while their flat/room was 100 yards away, that is not abandonment and especially when they were being looked on every 30 seconds.

100 yards, 30 seconds. A quick Google suggest average walking speed is ~109yd/minute. In order to cover the 200yds to the room and back every 30 seconds, there would have had to be a constant relay of people.

2) There were 7 adults and several children in the party so you need to arrest them all.

Rubbish - it's the parents responsibility, not their friends' (unless they were specifically entrusted to look after the children in the parents' absence.)

4) People are still doing this on holiday. Sit round a pool in the day and observe and then wonder where the children are in the evening.

This entirely depends on the age of the children. I would happily leave my very sensible 9 year old on his own for an hour or so, in a locked room, provided he had some way of contacting me (e.g. mobile phone) or I could see the entrance/exit to the room/block of flats. I certainly wouldn't leave a 3 year old alone for more than a couple of minutes - even ignoring any outside interference, it takes no time at all to stick fingers in electrical sockets, climb & fall off furniture, wrap a cable round their neck, etc.

If they're asleep, then at the very least take a baby monitor so you can hear if they wake up and are moving around etc.

Man of Honour
Does ANYONE believe that "30 seconds" statement? I don't....

Oops 30 minutes - bloody phone. (I'm going to edit my post)
the hotel had a listening service of 1 hour, the Tapas 7 did 30 minutes.

100 yards, 30 seconds. A quick Google suggest average walking speed is ~109yd/minute. In order to cover the 200yds to the room and back every 30 seconds, there would have had to be a constant relay of people.

30 minutes

Soldato
I am quite disturbed by people who claim never never to allow their children out of their sight.

It is no wonder that so many adults are incapable of coping independently and that they end up with mental health issues in later life when expected to cope with the real world, deprived of the ever-present support and protection of Mummy and Daddy.

Just because you can see them doesn’t mean that you’re standing over them for their whole childhood. Our two daughters learned very early on that they were allowed a great deal of freedom provided the stayed where we could see them and they have both grown up to be successful, well-balanced adults.

Soldato

"Children" covers a huge range of ages from 0 to 16/18. I wouldn't allow my 18 month old to go and play in the front garden unsupervised. I have no issues allowing my 9 year old to do so (with certain conditions in place). A nuance which I guess is lost on you :cry:

Oops 30 minutes - bloody phone. (I'm going to edit my post)
the hotel had a listening service of 1 hour, the Tapas 7 did 30 minutes.

30 minutes

Leaving a 3 year old unattended in a hotel room for 30 minutes isn't a safeguarding issue? :confused:

Caporegime
No idea why people continuously try and defend her parents. It's boring and has been done to death, I knew as soon as I read the post that bumped this it would turn back into a discussion around Gerry and Kate.

Hopefully, they've finally caught the sick **** but I can't imagine it's going to do the aforementioned much good. Having an actual picture of the person who's done horrific things to your daughter isn't much closure. The only good thing is it will put an end to the endless documentaries and yearly news articles.

Soldato
You can't leave a 3 year old alone for 2 minutes without them sticking their fingers in a socket.

I think the only reason they haven't been hauled in for it is they are well connected.

Back
Top Bottom