• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Far Cry 6 GPU performance not bad at all but is severely bottlenecked by CPU

Associate
I pop on for the daily missions for the opals. Wondered why my fps overlay was looking strong and thought it was just gradual improvement from patches. I did also update the chipset 'cos of the recent vulnerability warning but makes sense it was due to the nvidia driver. I updated it before playing FC6.
link to this info?
Here in the comments i've seen someone saying he gets more FPS on the 3090 and channel owner confirmed he also noticed a FPS increase with the latest driver. It's good to see Nvidia can also deliver some fine wine. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy8Z2Tk-6Rg

Caporegime
Yeah im trying to recall why it stood out as the game runs fine anyway, Im sure the % GPU dropped slightly and ran over 60 fps (could also be the wall power meter showing less watts used) - will see tomorrow when I launch it up again.
Here's the bench thread if you want to post some updated results.

I am gonna check to see if performance has improved for AMD as well if the game was recently updated?

The size of it seems to be a bit bigger, is now a 110gig download am sure it was smaller last time I downloaded it.

Here in the comments i've seen someone saying he gets more FPS on the 3090 and channel owner confirmed he also noticed a FPS increase with the latest driver. It's good to see Nvidia can also deliver some fine wine. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy8Z2Tk-6Rg
I can see a lot of stuttering in that video so there must be room for some improvement in the driver for FC6.

Associate
I can see a lot of stuttering in that video so there must be room for some improvement in the driver for FC6.
It’s because of the HD Textures. I see similar stuttering (even more than the video) with the pack enabled. Disabling it makes the game completely smooth.

Caporegime
It’s because of the HD Textures. I see similar stuttering (even more than the video) with the pack enabled. Disabling it makes the game completely smooth.
I'm not convinced, on GPUs with less than 16gb sure. 3090 can handle the textures just fine and there have been a few 3090 users in this thread who confirms it runs fine for them. There might be a driver issue there perhaps.

Soldato
Not the same area or the same equipment. But it doesn’t matter because vram usage is above 10GB in pretty much all scenarios for these 16GB cards.

The below video is the starting area of the game where usage is 11.6GB on the 3090. In the same spot with the same equipment with the same graphics settings with FSR disabled, I only get 9.8GB of usage.
Do the AMD 12GB cards perform the same as your 3080ti?
If they do, then there is something in the game engine that is causing this, which could be for various reasons. They are not going to let good VRAM sit idle if they can use it.
If they are different then you would need to look at Nvidia drivers or AMD's.

Soldato
OP
Can you guys explain this?

AMD on the left, nvidia on the right

Why is Far Cry 6 lowering the Ray Tracing quality on AMD GPU's?
Did AMD ask for this so they can look better in benchmarks?

IKnZBJR.jpg

uGSaZ5P.jpg

Associate
If the user didn't restart the game after changing image quality settings, then it will not have applied properly.

Here are some screenshots from the same areas on a 6900 XT.

Looks like a classic case of PEBKAC to me. :)

To be fair, that's like showing a Van Gogh self-portrait after an infant's - Not really comparable. The 6900XT is far more powerful than either of those cards.

What does PEBKAC mean?

Caporegime
To be fair, that's like showing a Van Gogh self-portrait after an infant's - Not really comparable. The 6900XT is far more powerful than either of those cards.

What does PEBKAC mean?
Does not matter, if the RT effects were missing or toned down, it would be the same on all RDNA2 GPUs.

6700 XT is half a 6900 XT, it does not mean it cannot render the same image quality, it would just be at lower FPS.
Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair - in other words user error.
This.

Associate
I'm not convinced, on GPUs with less than 16gb sure. 3090 can handle the textures just fine and there have been a few 3090 users in this thread who confirms it runs fine for them. There might be a driver issue there perhaps.
Its easy enough to prove. See the below video of a 6700XT with 12GB of VRAM at 1440p. There is minimal stuttering in this video with the HD Textures.

On the same island with the same settings, its using LESSER VRAM on my 3080 Ti at 1440p but is constantly stuttering. Again the CPU I am running is a [email protected] vs. the 9700k in the 6700XT video

The game is intentionally not using VRAM on the NVIDIA cards even when available and is stuttering with the HD Pack.

Associate
Cheers for literally spelling it out to me! I thought the RT effects were a plus of the Nvidia cards anyway due to the tensor cores which were more efficient than the AMD ones. Could it not be that the 6700XT doesn't have the RT capacity for the full fat effect?

6900XT clearly has the grunt for it, but is this where a limitation starts to kick in? Not that anyone should be expecting full fat everything on either a 3070 or 6700XT, by the way, although they are both certainly good enough to enjoy the game.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Can you guys explain this?

AMD on the left, nvidia on the right

Why is Far Cry 6 lowering the Ray Tracing quality on AMD GPU's?
Did AMD ask for this so they can look better in benchmarks?

IKnZBJR.jpg

uGSaZ5P.jpg

If that’s to be believed then the RT on the AMD card is definitely toned down. Reflections were significantly clearer on the Nvidia card.

Caporegime
Its easy enough to prove. See the below video of a 6700XT with 12GB of VRAM at 1440p. There is minimal stuttering in this video with the HD Textures.

On the same island with the same settings, its using LESSER VRAM on my 3080 Ti at 1440p but is constantly stuttering. Again the CPU I am running is a [email protected] vs. the 9700k in the 6700XT video

The game is intentionally not using VRAM on the NVIDIA cards even when available and is stuttering with the HD Pack.
The 6700 XT video looks good, but ICDP said it didn't have enough video memory to run 4K max settings as he's using one.

I can't speak to your 3080 TI, but there's plenty of videos up on YouTube showing them at close to maximum video memory capacity so I'm not sure what is happening with your setup.

Example: vgTNclZ.png

Not too long after that screenshots was taken, FPS plummeted to single digits. :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
Could it not be that the 6700XT doesn't have the RT capacity for the full fat effect?

6900XT clearly has the grunt for it, but is this where a limitation starts to kick in? Not that anyone should be expecting full fat everything on either a 3070 or 6700XT, by the way, although they are both certainly good enough to enjoy the game.
No, that's not how it works. It would render the full effect, just at lower FPS.

RT enabled will look the same on a 6700 XT Vs a 6900 XT, the only difference would be in pure FPS.

@ICDP If you have time, could you put up a few screenshots from your 6700 XT, 4K max settings RT enabled (please restart game after adjusting settings) to compare to the 6900 XT in terms of RT effects?

See the 6900 XT screenshots here.

Soldato
OP
If the user didn't restart the game after changing image quality settings, then it will not have applied properly.

Here are some screenshots from the same areas on a 6900 XT.
EeYLbg9.jpg

6EfVXqS.jpg

irtVrVY.jpg

h1Ah9Qv.jpg

H40ShU5.jpg

mGuel9r.jpg

Looks like a classic case of PEBKAC to me. :)

All good, bad video then saw on Reddit. It's weird that the other settings effect it though since RT only has on on/off option - I can understand texture quality etc but that's quite a big difference

Back
Top Bottom