• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Far Cry 6 GPU performance not bad at all but is severely bottlenecked by CPU

Soldato
I'm sure there will be some upcoming games with high VRAM requirements at 4K, but I don't think FC6 is a good example of this - it looks and plays worse than many older games.

You are only giving opinion here and to many FC6 looks very good graphically. I prefer how it looks over CP2077 for example but once again that is just opinion. We cannot dismiss a factual metric or datapoint because we don't personally like said data point.

Associate
You are only giving opinion here and to many it looks very good. I prefer how it looks over CP2077 for example but once again that is just opinion. We cannot dismiss a datapoint because we don't personally like said data point.

Exactly, to each their own. It's valuable having a game like this to see what happens when VRAM limited, but it should be considered in the context of a poorly made game and not used to draw a more general conclusion. It will be interesting to see where this goes once UE5 games are out as I don't see it changing much under current tech.

You have every right to enjoy this game. I played it for a couple hours and didn't enjoy it for several reasons (thankfully it was free), and it seems I'm not alone in that opinion based on various user reviews.

Associate
You are only giving opinion here and to many FC6 looks very good graphically. I prefer how it looks over CP2077 for example but once again that is just opinion. We cannot dismiss a factual metric or datapoint because we don't personally like said data point.
If Far Cry 6 was using some new high-tech engine that looked phenomenal, then you might have a point... but it doesn't. It's the same engine the series has been using for ages and is showing it's age. 6 doesn't look any better than 5 and yet has massively increased CPU and VRAM requirement. For what? Some mediocre raytracing and the same level of textures it had before? How exactly has the VRAM usage gone from well under 10GB for the HD pack in 5 to SIXTEEN in 6??

If you want to base purchasing decisions on Ubisoft games, you knock yourself out.

Last edited:

HRL

HRL

Soldato
If Far Cry 6 was using some new high-tech engine that looked phenomenal, then you might have a point... but it doesn't. It's the same engine the series has been using for ages and is showing it's age. 6 doesn't look any better than 5 and yet has massively increased CPU and VRAM requirement. For what? Some mediocre raytracing and the same level of textures it had before? How exactly has the VRAM usage gone from well under 10GB for the HD pack in 5 to SIXTEEN in 6??

If you want to base purchasing decisions on Ubisoft games, you knock yourself out.

There’s a lot more density to foliage in FC6, and the surroundings feel more “alive” IMO. I’d assume that’s heavier on the CPU and GPU, which in turn is on VRAM.

That plus RT of course.

Associate
It’s not even comparable to Cyberpunk in visuals imo. FC6 only looks good when the sun is up and you are viewing the scene at a specific angle. Go indoors or just in shade and the illusion falls apart. Also, the character models are mediocre and look like something from the PS4 era.

Caporegime
If Far Cry 6 was using some new high-tech engine that looke phenominal, then you might have a point... but it doesn't. It's the same engine the series has been using for ages and is showing it's age. 6 doesn't look any better than 5 and yet has massively increased CPU and VRAM requirement. For what? Some mediocre raytracing and the same level of textures it had before? How exactly has the VRAM usage gone from well under 10GB for the HD pack in 5 to SIXTEEN in 6??

We can't be playing the same games. I still have 5 installed (with the HD Texture pack) and I honestly can't see how you think it is better graphically than 6. :confused:

Gonna have to put up some screenshots I think for some side by sides comparisons.

Caporegime
Can't really compare FC 6 to CP, obviously completely different settings that seek out to achieve different results, I would say the game does look better than FC 5 but not much better as per the videos I posted 2 pages back doing comparisons and certainly not any better than FC ND in my experience. Maybe when the texture issue gets fixed and ray tracing is fixed/improved, I might change my mind....

Not to turn this into yet another cyberpunk thread either but it really does puzzle me how some people don't think cyberpunk is visually stunning and arguably one of the best looking games to date. Only games that come to mind for being in the same league are the ascent, metro, rdr 2, division, swbf + BF games and gta 5 redux.

The character detail, the ray tracing reflections especially with puddles, lighting, sheer size and density of the city overall, the amount of npcs is just breath taking, first game in a long time where I would just stop and admire the views. Sure some textures/LOD is dodgy and doesn't look great but at least everything else is pretty much top notch and it's not an issue often enough to be noticeable unlike in fc 6.

zgK5AUK.jpg

eihiIcA.jpg

dn7kdUT.jpg

RuCwJua.jpg

ieHEiMn.jpg

xD6GayJ.png

qFJn7ls.jpg

KAiOBon.jpg

Pphp0JA.jpg

zbj1UBU.jpg

2kzE1Nv.jpg

HaKVBaF.jpg

m4AKrlV.jpg

Zx4k3dN.png

gGAgYmB.jpg

ML08sip.jpg

QhXqZkp.jpg

MTLnLbb.jpg

20QxFTg.jpg

WiuuKLe.png

W6E5ydI.jpg

ngHvdd6.jpg

OJRVTac.jpg

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I'm sure there will be some upcoming games with high VRAM requirements at 4K, but I don't think FC6 is a good example of this - it looks and plays worse than many older games.

Exactly, to each their own. It's valuable having a game like this to see what happens when VRAM limited, but it should be considered in the context of a poorly made game and not used to draw a more general conclusion. It will be interesting to see where this goes once UE5 games are out as I don't see it changing much under current tech.

You have every right to enjoy this game. I played it for a couple hours and didn't enjoy it for several reasons (thankfully it was free), and it seems I'm not alone in that opinion based on various user reviews.

Eh? Bit contradictory there - this cements the point I made. More games (maybe not as rough, but Im sure a couple of patches down the line it will be where it needs to be) that release aimed at the high texture 4k res will give a decent sample point of where GPU VRAM needs to be. The problem with catering for old machines and 1080p res is it dilutes the focus devs make on the quality end.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Not to turn this into yet another cyberpunk thread either but it really does puzzle me how some people don't think cyberpunk is visually stunning and arguably one of the best looking games to date.

I will pick it up now its below £20 just not yet (too many games in the library to complete). Critically speaking, when it was released and was a mess you would have to bury your head in the sand to miss the reviews panning it for how bad it was after all the hype. Yes its a good game visually, looking forward to playing it, but this will be after some patches later and maybe some third party tweaks. Playability was where it had lots of issues or was broken for some. Bit harsh to say it was way better considering the time/budget spent on it I think.

Caporegime
Thing is amd has been in previous gen consoles too yet that didn't help them much, if at all either.... Was largely why I stuck/went with the 290 then vega 56 i.e. I thought to myself "consoles have amd, so games will run so much better on pc!", when in reality, it didn't run much better, it was much the same as the competition, few wins there, few losses there. Of course if we look at how said cards are performing nowadays, then yeah amd are the better cards for long term but neither of them are anywhere good enough for high res. 60/100+ high/ultra setting gaming so a bit of a moot point in the end imo.

We have also seen plenty of footage from digitial foundry now where you can see all the compromises the "next gen" consoles are having to make in order to achieve 4k 60 i.e. a lot of the time, not native 4k res, usually between 1200-1800p (more often for the PS)., limited/no ray tracing, reduced graphical settings on the whole so I doubt they are even using that much vram given all those corners being cut and to me shows that they lack the grunt already (especially concerning ray tracing)

Ultimately imo, the only games where consoles will outshine pc will be when we have platform exclusive titles by sony as we have seen what they can do with the ps 4 pro hardware and likes god of war, last of us 2, spiderman. Maybe when the refresh/pro versions of consoles come out with rdna 3, things will take another step though but alas, that will mean the current pc hardware gpus will also no longer be up to the job either (if we want max everything etc.)

Ubisoft avatar game shall be interesting as it will be ray tracing only title like metro enhanced.

I will pick it up now its below £20 just not yet (too many games in the library to complete). Critically speaking, when it was released and was a mess you would have to bury your head in the sand to miss the reviews panning it for how bad it was after all the hype. Yes its a good game visually, looking forward to playing it, but this will be after some patches later and maybe some third party tweaks. Playability was where it had lots of issues or was broken for some. Bit harsh to say it was way better considering the time/budget spent on it I think.

Yup, it's a shame the launch was so bad, I was very lucky it seems, had no issues/crashing etc. at all with my first play through on the vega 56 (perf was poor though so had to turn things very far down, stil llooked good though) and second play through on the 3080.

Peoples main complaints that it didn't live up to the e3 trailers, which was annoying but then again, not the first time we have had games falsely advertised and imo, their own fault for believing it would be the same come release, "oh but cdpr won't let us down after witcher 3"..... despite witcher 3 also being downgraded a bit :p

NPCs/AI was the other main complaint, yes, it wasn't great but then again, I haven't played many, if any games where NPCs/AIs were much better (RDR 2 and GTA 5 only had a handful you could interact with), the cops spawning right behind you was daft but it was fixed as in they spawned further away and out of sight, which as per usual people nit pick at, it's like they want the npcs/ai to have sentient like thinking i.e. cops actually get a dispatch call at their station, they run out, get in their cars, drive to said crime scene, at least this is how some people seem to think the likes of gta 5 cop system works :p

Associate
One of the most annoying things you can read on hardware forums is this "raytraced only" thing when we talk about Metro EE, or the Metro EE being " the first RT only game".
In fact is no different than any other game offering RT features, there is a version with classical rendering and there is the same version of the game with RT features. It is still the same game, you buy the old version you play the same game as someone having the EE edition.
By the same reasoning every game that comes to each console is an exclusive since that version only works on that particular console. :D

Associate
Cyberpunk looked incredible, I still think it's the best looking game out there. The problem was that it was just a bit... sterile. I wanted to get into it, but it was verging on boring at times.

I REALLY wanted to get into it. I even preordered at full price for the first and last time in my life.

I had bugs, but no crashes. It was just a bit pants, sadly. Will revisit again, however.

Associate
Eh? Bit contradictory there - this cements the point I made. More games (maybe not as rough, but Im sure a couple of patches down the line it will be where it needs to be) that release aimed at the high texture 4k res will give a decent sample point of where GPU VRAM needs to be. The problem with catering for old machines and 1080p res is it dilutes the focus devs make on the quality end.

Because it's poorly made, you're able to reach that breaking point under normal conditions and see what happens, so not contradictory at all - I can't think of any recent good games where this was an issue. I don't see the future being massive rushed textures either; DLSS is only the tip of the iceberg in terms of what DL can do for gaming.

Caporegime
Visuals look great....

ypfi0Fr.jpg

sM6GCim.jpg

HxsWsoS.jpg

:D

At first I thought oh no, there goes my 3080 but other games are fine and relaunching FC 6, issue is gone.

Must be the lack of vram :cry:

One of the most annoying things you can read on hardware forums is this "raytraced only" thing when we talk about Metro EE, or the Metro EE being " the first RT only game".
In fact is no different than any other game offering RT features, there is a version with classical rendering and there is the same version of the game with RT features. It is still the same game, you buy the old version you play the same game as someone having the EE edition.
By the same reasoning every game that comes to each console is an exclusive since that version only works on that particular console. :D

Whilst true for metro as in you can play the default/original, iirc, ubi aren't offering this with avatar, as in, you "need" a ray tracing capable gpu if you want to play the game.

Associate
Whilst true for metro as in you can play the default/original, iirc, ubi aren't offering this with avatar, as in, you "need" a ray tracing capable gpu if you want to play the game.
Then Avatar will be the first RT only game. Metro EE being first was not even true since Quake RTX was released way before. :D
And the funny thing about CP 2077 graphics is that on release date the ones with weak hardware (PS4 for example) noticed that the game had some pretty bad textures in their game. Not the best looking game tbh if we remember that iconic image from PS4:
sgiem9sldn461.jpg
Could be that the same thing is happening now in FC6 for some users.

Associate
Some high quality texture work for those of us on NVIDIA hardware and cannot run the HD pack (and no, its not the low res texture issue, also happens on restart in several areas). Even the £250 Series S is looking better than my PC. Nice job, Ubisoft.
Untitled.jpg

Caporegime
Didn't put any effort into these, but I think the textures look quite good for the most part with a 16GB graphics card.

Far Cry 6_2021.10.14-16.10.png

Far Cry 6_2021.10.14-17.00.png

Far Cry 6_2021.10.14-18.52.png

Far Cry 6_2021.10.14-18.53.png

Shame it was dark when I grabbed them.

I will say it looks even better in HDR but the screenshots would be washed out so I switched to SDR.[/spoiler]

EDIT
Not sure if those screenshots even work looking on my phone, will fix tomorrow. :D

Lets try again.

Far Cry 6_2021.10.14-16.10.png (3840×2160) (1drv.com)
Far Cry 6_2021.10.14-17.00.png (3840×2160) (1drv.com)
Far Cry 6_2021.10.14-18.52.png (3840×2160) (1drv.com)
Far Cry 6_2021.10.14-18.53.png - OneDrive (live.com)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom