The wife has taken up rallying....

Soldato
This. some brands are only good for 10,000 miles, some Ive done 60,000 miles in.

I put some Avons on my Touareg since it was due to go back on 15th Nov and with only 6 months left didn't want to put michelins on it. Car isnt going back for another 6 months now due to delays in the new one and I had a look at my tyres the other day and no was will they last another 6 months. Ive only done almost 9k on them and only a mm left to the indicators. WIll be having to put another set on by xmas at the latest I reckon.

avons are very soft and wear quickly although they are great "budget" tyres for wet grip.

Those bridgestones are decent and most users seem to get around 25,000 miles from them.
I use Avons on my MX5 but that only does around 1k a year so the wear rate is far less of a concern than anything else!

I've had Bridgestones on a couple of my cars (Potenza's) and one of the wifes (Turanza). Never managed to wear a set out before they cracked up to the point I wasn't happy running them :rolleyes:

Soldato
Unless the garage is attempting an epic rip-off, my money’s on this being the case.

My missus actually whinges at me for slowing down to go over the bumps (some are absolute mountains), there's lots in the residential area where we live, i probably go over about 30 of them dropping her off at work.

So if it's anything like the OPs other half - "what speed bump".

Man of Honour
shes been taking those speed bumps at 30mph+ every day hasnt she?
This is what my wife does. After I've had to get the suspension fixed several times my daughter told me she takes the bumps at rally speed when I'm not in the car. It's infuriating because however much I ask her to be careful she doesn't seem to. There is no consequence for her because I pay for every aspect of all the cars; tax, insurance, buying them, most fuel, servicing and fixing them.

Last edited:
Don
This is what my wife does. After I've had to get the suspension fixed several times my daughter told me she takes the bumps at rally speed when I'm not in the car. It's infuriating because however much I ask her to be careful she doesn't seem to. There is no consequence for her because I pay for every aspect of all the cars; tax, insurance, buying them, most fuel, servicing and fixing them.

I mean, the answer here is pretty clear :D

Soldato
Let's give some balance, there's definitely a number of men who do the same as well.

I don't really care about my car cosmetically now, scratches and scrapes don't really bother me. However there's a difference between that and driving around like an idiot.

Soldato
I drive over speed bumps at 30 too.. (the triangle ones. not full on full width ones).

Then again, all my suspension bushings are uprated.

Permabanned
Poo through her letterbox...

...oh wait that's going to backfire :eek:
Essentially you have provided free car rental with perks. Who treats hire cars with any kind of sympathy? Especially when daddy will take care of it.

Great to have a dad like that not so much for learning personal responsibility though.

Man of Honour
I use Avons on my MX5 but that only does around 1k a year so the wear rate is far less of a concern than anything else!

I've had Bridgestones on a couple of my cars (Potenza's) and one of the wifes (Turanza). Never managed to wear a set out before they cracked up to the point I wasn't happy running them :rolleyes:

Yeah - I have Turanzas put 10+K on them just dropped below 6mm but some tiny cracks appearing definitely going to be replacing them due to that before tread wear.

Man of Honour
Essentially you have provided free car rental with perks. Who treats hire cars with any kind of sympathy? Especially when daddy will take care of it.

Great to have a dad like that not so much for learning personal responsibility though.
Which is all great and everything, but I'm talking about my wife.

Back
Top Bottom