Are you British or English, Scotish, Welsh or Nothern Irish

Soldato
Actually, us Europeans don't call them "chips" (unless you're talking about Lays?) :cry:

If you are talking about frites, then we prefer to eat them (with Mayonnaise :eek: the horror) rather than wearing them

Well you would, wouldn't you, bloody viking... :p

Depends if you are of the school of thought that your birthplace defines your nationality, or that of your parents? I've had this discussion many times with people, I do actually I agree, I would say Scottish (by birth) or European (by blood) are the only accurate descriptions

Everybody born within the United Kingdom, British Isles is European by birth as that is where Britain is. There are heritage issues as you say but how far do you want to go back :).

Soldato
British. I'm Welsh, but can't see the point of making a big thing about it.

I don't define as "European" as I think that, if European is taken to mean "anyone resident in Europe", it's a pointlessly broad description.

I guess the alternative is that "European" is a euphemism for "white"?

Soldato
Everybody born within the United Kingdom, British Isles is European by birth as that is where Britain is. There are heritage issues as you say but how far do you want to go back :).

Careful now, go too far back and all these genetically superior pureblood English will realise that they're actually a mongrel mix of French, German, Italian and every other nation who invaded the British Isles over the years :D

Raz

Raz

Soldato
I dislike the term British and would rather be given the option to identify as English but most official forms don't allow this. Does anyone else feel the same?

English first, British second.

Anyone can claim to be British it seems now days!

Only those who have British citizenship...I just go by my passport, which says British. I guess you'd prefer yours to be English.

Soldato
I was born in Scotland to Dutch and English parents, therefore the only accurate description would be European.

However I now live in England, so either way, I'm a dirty second generation immigrant and should **** off back to wherever I came from and stop stealing hardworking English people's jobs and women, i'm probably one of them islamists as well. That's the English way to treat us scummy foreigns isn't it?
Perfect!

I'm Irish. Born in England to Irish parents.

Soldato
"White (unless you're a British Citizen from an overseas territory) but not American, Canadian, Australian or New Zealanderish(New Zealish?)"

Rolls right off the tongue!

I just don't get "European" as a term. If you're talking geography, then Turks living West of the bosphorus count, but Turks living on the other side don't. Russians living in European Russia count, but those living in Sakhalin don't.

Associate
I have travelled quite a lot to different countries. I'm British But it seems that quite a lot of other countries call me English. In Taiwan, for example, my ID card was stamped English. Another time we were waiting at a queue before the check out opened. We chatted to one of the British passengers. She had noted that my wife was from USA and that I was English. I gently corrected "No, I'm not English." Her confused look was priceless...............

Last edited:
Soldato
You're still European since you were born in the continent of Europe.

Whether you are still an EU citizen (which is subtly different from being a citizen of an EU country) is something which I think will be up for debate for quite some time :(

Back
Top Bottom