1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you British or English, Scotish, Welsh or Nothern Irish

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by [email protected], 16 Oct 2021.

1. GreatAuk

Mobster

I usually prefer British because it's accurate - I am a British citizen! And although I am English, in that both my parents and I grew up in England and I currently live in England, I feel connected to other parts of the UK too so British just feels like a better fit to me.

2. potatolord

Wise Guy

The continent of Europe includes some, but not all Turks. As I said, that definition would also exclude millions of Russians in Asian Russia.

I just think it's a wishy washy term.

Defining by location of birth seems little better, for all sorts of reasons.

Defining "European" status by membership of the EU is even more problematic. I'm not getting into that one...

3. Nitefly

Man of Honour

British. For international purposes and politically, the country of relevance is the United Kingdom.

4. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

I'm Nigerian then.

All my grandparents are 100% Irish but I've lived in England since I was about one month old.
    I call myself English.

5. Blackjack Davy

Soldato

I was born in London so once upon a time I would have proudly said Londoner but now I don't know what I'd call myself english probably then british.

Start rebuilding Offa's Dyke its your patriotic duty as a Mercian.

6. Dis86

Suspended

British. Born in England as were my parents, grand and great grand parents. Great-great however were Irish and Scottish.

7. adam cool dude

Capodecina

My half sister was born in a West Berlin barracks but doesn't consider herself German.

I consider myself English or if I am trying to be posh I say British. :p.

8. Angilion

Man of Honour

I'm a person, then English, then UK-ish. Which is part of the issue - 'UK-ish' is a clumsy term. I'll say I'm from the UK. But in my head, the first nationality that comes to mind is "English".

I'm aware that many people are irrationally prejudiced against "the English" and don't even bother trying to hide it because it's a fashionable irrational prejudice. Those people can shove it up their arse. I'm not a fan of irrational prejudice, fashionable or not.

Strictly speaking I'm also Eurasian, but that's far too large an area to be relevant as a nationality.

Because you are. Nationality is a state of mind thing. I'm one of the first generation of my family born in England. It's very likely that some of my ancestors fought against England. But I'm not them. I'm me. And I'm English. My heritage is that of Shakespeare and Chaucer and Dickens and William the ******* and all the rest of it. The fact that none of my ancestors (as far as I know) were in England in those days is irrelevant. They're not me.

Come to think of it, it's also very likely that some of the ancestors of most English people fought against England. Just a bit further back in time.

9. Sheff

Wise Guy

Earthling, European, British, English, Devonian.

10. Feef

Wise Guy

Was it? My Taiwanese ID card says 英國, which is Britain/UK.

As for the topic, British then English - half my family is Scottish, I grew up in England but went to uni in Scotland and stayed up there for 6 years, now in England, but would very much like to be back north.

11. Bluecube

Mobster

People who worry about nationality tend to be racist *********

12. dLockers

Sgarrista

You can be a patriot without being a racist ya flake

13. Bluecube

Mobster

Being a patriot isn’t the same as fixating on nationality.

14. bloodiedathame

Sgarrista

Don't go there.

15. mmj_uk

Caporegime

Anglo-Dutch would be more accurate, I know the UK is usually included as being a part of (continental) Europe but as Israel often is it shows what a farce that is and technically it's the British Isles in the North Atlantic.

16. EdwardTeach

Mobster

I never describe myself as British. I'm half Irish and half English, and that is how I would describe myself.

17. Hagar

Capodecina

The British Isles is part of Europe. Israel is not, it is in Asia. GB has always been Europe, as is part of Russia, Iceland, Scandanavia, The Shetlands, Ireland (it's entirety) and even Greenland I believe.

I know that there is a concerted effort by a few to say that the British Isles were never European but geographically they certainly are.

EDIT; Continental Europe is not a continent whereas Europe is. This may colour some people's thinking.

Last edited: 16 Oct 2021
  18. Housey

Man of Honour

I am an Englishman and British. Stating either is fine for they are facts.

I don't get the mindset of nationalism = racism. That is mainly a millennial mindset and in my case, wrong. I can't speak for others.

19. godinman

Sgarrista

If Scotland gains independence then I'll feel more British (i.e, happy to be part of a Union) as it's only those miserable ***** that have me have me feeling otherwise. :cry:

20. Haggisman

Capodecina

Think you missed the Scottish part there :p