Alec Baldwin fatally shoots woman with prop gun on movie set

Caporegime
No this is you assuming what cold meant on that set.

It could mean blank or dummy too with it beinga revolver.

Checking a round is there or not is in no way a safety check when you are expecting a blank or dummy to be there.

Only if you're expecting a completely empty unloaded gun.

Nope, again, it isn't conditional on the state of the firearm or conditional on any expectations you have of the firearm, I already mentioned that. It's not just checking a round is there it is checking what state the weapon is in and making sure it is safe. If he'd done that and there was a live round there it would become quite apparent.

Caporegime
If it's a revolver, it's a very easy task. So yes. As I've pointed out if it uses a magazine you can carry out a visual inspection.

So not the"simple chamber check" that takes a few seconds you where souing before

You can see why this long winded process that may happen dozens of times a day gets handed over to an armourer?

Caporegime
It's brilliant though you two now admit you were both wrong by saying "it's a quick chamber check" to its a full inspection of the entire magazine.

Well done lads personal growth right there

To be absolutely sure, for all circumstances and scenarios, you would need to check the barrell and possibly even clean it too if you were using blanks, in case any debris was in there .

I doubt actors are expected to do that when handed the firearm just before the scene.

Caporegime
So not the"simple chamber check" that takes a few seconds you where souing before

You can see why this long winded process that may happen dozens of times a day gets handed over to an armourer?

It's not long winded, it literally takes a few seconds. Do you have any firearm experience?

Caporegime

What long-winded process?

It's brilliant though you two now admit you were both wrong by saying "it's a quick chamber check" to its a full inspection of the entire magazine.

It's a revolver - there isn't a magazine.

Man of Honour
On a film though they'd always have something (fake/dummy round) in them though or else it would be obviously empty for the close ups right?

And again if he's expecting blanks he opens the gun he sees the back of the round that's what he'd expect

While not always the case close ups are usually filmed with a so called "hero" prop which is usually high detail but non-functioning (though again not a hard and fast rule). Sometimes there are going to be exceptions though - which is where a higher level of diligence would be required.

Caporegime
To be honest, you all seem to be living in some fantasy land whereby the actor repeats all the necessary steps that are someone else's responsibility, in making sure a firearm is safe to have its trigger pulled.

Like I said, I garauntee Alec will face no legal repercussions for this.

Caporegime
To be honest, you all seem to be living in some fantasy land whereby the actor repeats all the necessary steps that are someone else's responsibility, in making sure a firearm is safe to have its trigger pulled.

Why on earth do you think that's a "fantasy land" though? Why should basic weapon safety not be adhered to on film sets?

Someone literally just died because an actor & other film people were sloppy re: safety but pointing out that basic firearms safety should be in place is "fantasy land"???

Caporegime
While not always the case close ups are usually filmed with a so called "hero" prop which is usually high detail but non-functioning (though again not a hard and fast rule). Sometimes there are going to be exceptions though - which is where a higher level of diligence would be required.

If its the gun being pictured in the press (a very beautifully engraved/filigaried colt dragoon) I suspect they'd be using the actual one for the shots to save the props department some time.
But yep you're right and numerous experts have said they'd have used a screen for this specific shot and the staff had walked off because of discharges.

The armourer was nervous and New and possibly only there because granddad and dad were famous in the business.

This was the 3rd accidental/unintended discharge 2 blank shots had been fired in a reading inside a cabin where the actors stated the gun just went off in thier hands

Caporegime

Like I said, I garauntee Alec will face no legal repercussions for this.

Office staff never been near tools :p

Caporegime
Why on earth do you think that's a "fantasy land" though? Why should basic weapon safety not be adhered to on film sets?

Because it is.

Do you believe that Alec is in some way responsible for this? If it was indeed a live round fired, should he be prosecuted for negligence?

If it was a blank and there was debris in the barrell, should he be prosecuted for negligence?

Caporegime

Its called responsible weapon handling and basic weapon safety. Its what anyone should be doing when handling firearms. Suggest you have a watch of some YouTube videos of keanu reeves filming John wick as he demonstrates it very well.

Ultimately you never point a potentially live weapon in anyone's direction. That's just retarded.

Man of Honour
This was the 3rd accidental/unintended discharge 2 blank shots had been fired in a reading inside a cabin where the actors stated the gun just went off in thier hands

I'm surprised reading some of that stuff that production wasn't halted and fact finding started - but there are a number of people related to the production who've within a few days before or since the incident come out saying proper procedure in general wasn't being followed.

Its called responsible weapon handling and basic weapon safety. Its what anyone should be doing when handling firearms. Suggest you have a watch of some YouTube videos of keanu reeves filming John wick as he demonstrates it very well.

Ultimately you never point a potentially live weapon in anyone's direction. That's just retarded.

I can't really point to specific stuff but amongst others I've watched a lot of videos Adam Savage has done covering firearms in film production - a lot of behind the scenes stuff covering procedures and some interesting stuff on the production of the props.

EDIT: Little bit covering some of it here https://youtu.be/nhJQSUwcHEs?t=211 though I noticed at https://youtu.be/nhJQSUwcHEs?t=379 he sweeps the camera person then shortly afterwards says don't worry there is no one over here in the direction he is pointing the gun :s

Last edited:
Caporegime

So you believe Alec was negligent and should be held (at least in part) responsible for this woman's death?

Caporegime
Because it is.

Clearly wasn't, again, someone just died.

Do you believe that Alec is in some way responsible for this? If it was indeed a live round fired, should he be prosecuted for negligence?

Yes, he's partly responsible IMO. If it was a live round then I think he and the armourer perhaps should be prosecuted.

If it was a blank and there was debris in the barrell, should he be prosecuted for negligence?

I'd suspect there would be something more substantial than some debris... unless really close range. See the incident with the crow for example. He shouldn't be pointing the firearm directly at someone up close either.

We need more details tbh.. if it went off accidentally then and this was a known issue preivously then that's dodgy too.

I guess we'll have to wait and see - obviously, rich Hollywood actor will have rather good lawyers - civil suit will have a lower threshold so I expect he and/or his production company will be making a rather large payout to the family of the deceased.

Back
Top Bottom