Poll: ** LG 27GP950 AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER NOW - LIMITED AVAILABILITY **

Do you have any black screen issues?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Associate
As I'm still convinced this is an Nvidia Driver issue, I decided to look around the Nvidia forums. They are plagued with g-sync black flicker posts for various monitors. Looks like the drivers went through a big change about 1 year ago, and the issues started then.

I came across this piece of advice, I've followed the steps, I'll report back. Hopefully it improves the situation - Although it doesn't happen that often for me. The quote mentions videos specifically, but I'm curious if it improves for applications too.

Are you getting black screens outside of games? For me, after setting gsync to fullscreen only the black screen only happens when gaming witrh gsync on and monitor overclocked to 160hz. At 144hz with gsync on and fullscreen only i am not getting any black screens.

Associate
Are you getting black screens outside of games? For me, after setting gsync to fullscreen only the black screen only happens when gaming witrh gsync on and monitor overclocked to 160hz. At 144hz with gsync on and fullscreen only i am not getting any black screens.

Sounds to me that this monitor is flawed and needs to be recalled back to manufacturer. If anybody is within their return period they should do so until LG sort themselves out imo.

Associate
Interesting, so is it a case of the current DP standard has a poor compression implementation, or is it really a case of very few cables out there are fully compliant - despite their claims?
I guess DSC would make any error unrecoverable, so could be a symptom of bad cables again.

Associate
I'd contest that...
They can't seriously be suggesting that you just turn off freesync or that you only run it at max 75hz?
It's quite poorly written/worded to me, it seems unclear.

Unless an actual LG engineer comes out and says something, I expect the line techs are just reading off a script

I doubt LG will ever officially say what the issue is, since that would mean admitting that at least one of their claims about the monitors capability is false (unless it's an Nvidia driver issue, I suppose)

Associate
Unless an actual LG engineer comes out and says something, I expect the line techs are just reading off a script

I doubt LG will ever officially say what the issue is, since that would mean admitting that at least one of their claims about the monitors capability is false (unless it's an Nvidia driver issue, I suppose)

It's an LG thing sometimes - There were issues earlier this year with their OLED TVs and NVIDIA drivers too!

Associate
Hello everyone. Been following this thread and decided to share my experience with my own LGGP950 random black screens. Setup includes 2070 Super, 3700X AMD CPU, 3200MHZ RAM @ DOCP, ASUS X570 TUF GAMING (WIFI) MOBO. Connected via (DP 1.4 DSC) MSI Afterburner installed. Attempted different outlets, cables, DP ports on GPU and still getting black screens since purchase. Initially my screen sometimes flickered and image would return but the past couple day the screen will flicker and remain on a black screen(can still hear the game sound) until I hit the Windows key and the image returns being able to see my desktop. I can go back into a game but it will flicker again and stay on a black screen until again I hit the Windows key and go back into the game. Tried the same cable that shipped w/ my LGGL850 and that monitor never had any black screens. (Same Exact cable that ships w/ the GP950) The only thing I noticed which helps is disconnecting the power cable from power outlet and plugging it back in. Can go long sessions without a black screens. Also haven't noticed black screens w Extended sync off. Haven't tried Basic yet.

Last edited:
Associate
So it is well established that no matter what you do or settings you pick this monitor WILL NOT Black screen if gsync/freesync is turned off in the drivers. You can use 144hz Display port with gsync ON but only in "Fullscreen" and there will be no black screens. You can also use gsync over HDMI 2.1 on both "Fullscreen and Windowed" settings and never black screen because the gsync compatibility over HDMI is not Specifically made for this monitor and is only "generic" hence no black screen. My conclusion: Bad GSYNC Handshake be it because of a better monitor firmware needed or better compatibility from Nvidia Drivers or even both. And no, I don't think it's a cable issue. I have never seen a glitch or an error at OC 160hz with gsync off.

Soldato
Hello everyone. Been following this thread and decided to share my experience with my own LGGP950 random black screens. Setup includes 2070 Super, 3700X AMD CPU, 3200MHZ RAM @ DOCP, ASUS X570 TUF GAMING (WIFI) MOBO. Connected via (DP 1.4 DSC) MSI Afterburner installed. Attempted different outlets, cables, DP ports on GPU and still getting black screens since purchase. Initially my screen sometimes flickered and image would return but the past couple day the screen will flicker and remain on a black screen(can still hear the game sound) until I hit the Windows key and the image returns being able to see my desktop. I can go back into a game but it will flicker again and stay on a black screen until again I hit the Windows key and go back into the game. Tried the same cable that shipped w/ my LGGL850 and that monitor never had any black screens. (Same Exact cable that ships w/ the GP950) The only thing I noticed which helps is disconnecting the power cable from power outlet and plugging it back in. Can go long sessions without a black screens. Also haven't noticed black screens w Extended sync off. Haven't tried Basic yet.

Hello
Could you try running with DSC off displayport 1.4 only this will max out the fresh rate to 120hz.
Keep gsync on at extended mode full rgb etc

No black screens happen for me with DSC off.

Associate
Hello
Could you try running with DSC off displayport 1.4 only this will max out the fresh rate to 120hz.
Keep gsync on at extended mode full rgb etc

No black screens happen for me with DSC off.

So I definitely tried 1.4 with DSC off and left Gsynch on extended but still getting black screens. I will say I was able to play games a couple hours before the screen flickered. It only happens during gaming.

Soldato
So I definitely tried 1.4 with DSC off and left Gsynch on extended but still getting black screens. I will say I was able to play games a couple hours before the screen flickered. It only happens during gaming.

Can you confirm the display was set to 120hz also?

Only reason I ask this is because when I switched my monitor from displayport 1.4 DSC to 1.4 without 120hz option wasn't available within windows my monitor was still running at 144Hz

Shouldn't happen but it did glitch I had to force driver uninstall of the display.

Soldato
Left a 1 star fair review of this monitor on official page for the monitor and LG have not passed the review.
Overall review was 1 star with I do not recommend anyone buys but I also did state that when the monitor is working its excellent, picture quality is very good using at 120hz still not black screens etc even listed what I believe is the issue with DSC enabled etc.

Seems review is blocked maybe because I also posted the email response into my review.

This company... I will never again buy from LG

Nothing, absolutely nothing.

Associate
Maybe you were just launching a fullscreen game that gives you the brief black screen?
Yeah I believe that's what happened. I definitely tested the monitor pretty much all day yesterday with Response Time set to Off and have not encountered a black screen. Not 100% certain this is the issue as we all believe it's the adaptive sync implementation. Just something to note.

Associate
Left a 1 star fair review of this monitor on official page for the monitor and LG have not passed the review.
Overall review was 1 star with I do not recommend anyone buys but I also did state that when the monitor is working its excellent, picture quality is very good using at 120hz still not black screens etc even listed what I believe is the issue with DSC enabled etc.

Seems review is blocked maybe because I also posted the email response into my review.

This company... I will never again buy from LG

Nothing, absolutely nothing.

I also left a 1 start review (tried twice now) and they're not visible either. The reviews on there at the moment aren't really reflective of what people think about the product!

Back
Top Bottom