How did you find overclockers? website I mean

Soldato
Not if they are good or not, but how did you find out about overclockers online? Were you looking for hardware and found them? Hear about them from other forums?

I found them back in 2008 I think. Was looking for info on the AMD 4870 gpu. Been here ever since :D

Capodecina
Soldato
I think I was told about it by a friend who said the forum was both an amusing and sad place.

As far as I know he knew about it because one of his housemates used to buy hardware from here.

Soldato
Was talking with someone at work sometime in the late 90s who was dabbling with overclocking and fancied having a look into it myself. Soon learned that my off the shelf P2-400 system wasn’t really suitable for overclocking and started shopping around for some parts for an upgrade (Think they were the days of the Athlon AXIA)

I don’t recall whether he directly recommended OcUK or whether I just found it from Google searches.

Soldato
Good old Google. I was looking to build my own PC - seemed as good as anywhere else :eek:

ps Gordon Bennet just noticed I have 5k posts - where did they come from.

Soldato
I don’t remember what I had for breakfast mate let alone 20 odd years :D

I’ve taken the odd break now and then but I’ve pretty much checked these forums daily for two decades. Scary stuff.

Soldato
During my first internet research based build (all previous was done by harassing the guys in the local PC repair shop and magazines) as I was browing the site I found the link to the forums. I read the forums for about a year before actually signing up when deciding which ATi 9800 to go for. I went for the All-in-wonder 9800 SE, never used the tuner but I think I OC'd it or flashed it or something. Stayed ever since, but rarely venture into the HW sections unless I'm searching for some real user experiences of a product or finding the best value->performance components.

I don't think I've gone more than a week without checking in to at least read GD, PC Games, or M&BO. OCuK is my internet safe space, warm fuzzy feelings from prior to the FB era.

Soldato
Needed some shiz and was mega impatient. Friend told my OCUK was a bit like Argos and you can drive up and get stuff. Drove up and got stuff.

Soldato
Bought from the physical shop in Fenton as they were about 5mins from my door and at one point I needed help with something and whoever it was behind the counter way back then mentioned that they also had a forum who might be able to help.

Soldato
Needed some shiz and was mega impatient. Friend told my OCUK was a bit like Argos and you can drive up and get stuff. Drove up and got stuff.

Joined in the OCuK club a bit old I see. I seem to remember this place being full of teens (especially around BF2 and CS Source, T-OCuK any body? I remember @gord [1337 awp skillz] and andy t? - they'll remember me getting a nosebleed while mid match..). I joined in my early teens and always got the feeling I was generally surrounded by others the same ages. Probably a bit of a "seeing what I wanted to see" thing though, I was probably chatting about 'flashing' with some 45 year old blokes.

EDIT:I have actually been on OcUK forums over half of my life now :O

Soldato
Joined in the OCuK club a bit old I see. I seem to remember this place being full of teens (especially around BF2 and CS Source, T-OCuK any body? I remember @gord [1337 awp skillz] and andy t? - they'll remember me getting a nosebleed while mid match..). I joined in my early teens and always got the feeling I was generally surrounded by others the same ages. Probably a bit of a "seeing what I wanted to see" thing though, I was probably chatting about 'flashing' with some 45 year old blokes.
Yeah my main forum was [H]ard|Forum and its spin off. Probably shaped my outlook on life and desensitized me to ultra-gore far too young.

Back
Top Bottom