• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

V F

V F

Soldato
What about those running ryzen 5000 series with PBO or high manual overclocks (which they'll need to compete with 12900k)? The below shows power draw at the wall, not just CPU, though is a good reminder that Ryzen 5000, when not running at stock, is also very power hungry.

jkFhuok.png

I've never seen my 10900K hit above 200 watt. Usually at most 165 watt.

Soldato
what do you mean wrong ? cant find the thread here now but was full thread how to disable limits set to motherboard and keep PBO, I went odd 230w cpu at load to around 100+w and still getting the benefits of using PBO

It's not wrong. I mean, it's a convenient argument for it to be if wanting to reduce the SMU power draw, but it's not wrong. What Humbug is trying to say is some samples can run at reduced voltage along the VF curve.

Associate
Can disable all E-cores.
You can't disable all P-cores, at least one must remain running. Could probably choke this one core into efficient mode by downclocking/undervolting/power limits?
Several times I've read now that on Windows 10, without the 11 scheduler, Alder Lake chips run purely on the E cores. Probably nonsense though.

Caporegime
It's not wrong. I mean, it's a convenient argument for it to be if wanting to reduce the SMU power draw, but it's not wrong. What Humbug is trying to say is some samples can run at reduced voltage along the VF curve.

Its not as simple as that.

this was the thread I first looked into when I got the 5900x I didnt keep notes on scores but it did beat stock peformance at single and multi which was my goal and hitting 5ghz while gaming and while getting lower temps .

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/5000-series-undervolting.18927227/

The original post? The Asgard? He's not using the curve optimiser, he's just using what one might call dumb undervolting, like that the CPU is running at fixed frequencies and voltages, its how you would undervolt / overclock and Intel CPU or Zen 2.

Please watch this, Robert can explain it far better than i can.....

Edit wrong video...

Caporegime
Its not as simple as that.

The original post? The Asgard? He's not using the curve optimiser, he's just using what one might call dumb undervolting, like that the CPU is running at fixed frequencies and voltages, its how you would undervolt / overclock and Intel CPU or Zen 2.

Please watch this, Robert can explain it far better than i can.....

Edit wrong video...

The correct video...

Edit anyone who has watched this and still said what @Silent_Scone just did will get ignored, i can't explain it beyond this...

Associate
Several times I've read now that on Windows 10, without the 11 scheduler, Alder Lake chips run purely on the E cores. Probably nonsense though.
It was probably true in sense that threads got scheduled preferentially to E-cores. Doesn't mean P-cores were disabled or not available on Windows 10

Soldato
Why is there so much excitement about DDR5, despite any evidence of performance improvement in demanding games or software?

We know that quad channel offers twice the bandwidth of dual channel, it's a fairly straight forward improvement. If AMD or Intel created compatible CPUs (current gen) and DDR4 motherboards , wouldn't that offer higher bandwidth than dual channel DDR5, without sacrificing the low latencies on DDR4?

I doubt they'd be much difference in cost either, due to the price of DDR5 RAM.

Perhaps lower latency quad channel DDR5 setups are more likely though, in the next year or so.

Last edited:
Associate
Ended up getting the Thermaltake TOUGHLIQUID, 240mm All-In-One Hydro CPU Cooler and emailing [email protected] for LGA1700 the bracket as they responded quickly!

I think I am going for the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240, they seem to get good reviews. They are taking orders for the bracket from the 1st Nov, free if you have a receipt for the CPU.

I hadn't come across the ToughLiquid before but it does look really nice.

Edit: £229 is quite expensive for a 240mm AIO!

Last edited:
Soldato
Has anyone seen these DDR5 modules yet?
Google:
CT2K8G48C40U5

It's a 2 x 8GB kit.

Is there anything wrong with them?

Why are other modules much more expensive?

Back
Top Bottom