• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

DLSS 2.0: why aren’t more people raving about it?

Permabanned
Well I wouldn't quite say that, looks better than the other options in RDR2 but in other games its not quite as good.

Any game where TAA is used and "required", DLSS will always look better, even in motion.

This is a breakthrough for DLSS ! I did notice Cyberpunk2077 DLSS was pretty good just the game itself is not good in my opinion. It's rushed with lack of quality control and too much unnecessary boring filler.

I need to update the RDR2 game and test it :eek:. Can DLSS be upgraded for the games that have the older version?

Associate
Can DLSS be upgraded for the games that have the older version?

Any* game that uses DLSS 2.x can be 'updated' to the latest version (currently 2.2.11, here: https://www.techpowerup.com/download/nvidia-dlss-dll/) by replacing the nvngx_dlss.dll (note that some games might have more than one copy of this DLL - Lego Builder's Journey for example has two).

*Games that use anti-cheat or Microsoft's Game Pass may not be compatible since anti-cheat scans the game files to check they're the 'correct' versions and Game Pass games are intentionally 'tamper proof'. I only use Steam and GOG so all my games have worked fine.

Soldato
Having recently purchased a 3070ti FE and my first foray with a Nvidia card for ages, I do have a question regarding DLSS.

COD Multiplayer is my go-to game when I can. I have a 1440p monitor and find the following Anti Aliasing options a blurry mess:

SMAA T2X
Filmic SMAA T2X

SMAA 1X is better to me as I find it a good compromise between reducing jaggies but still maintaining a sharp image.

I slapped DLSS to Quality the other day and whilst it was better visually than SMAA T2X and Filmic SMAA T2X (nice FPS performance uplift too) I still went back to SMAA 1X.

Is there something I'm missing or a setting I haven't enabled?

Soldato
Is there something I'm missing or a setting I haven't enabled?

You can try and add some sharpness to it with Nvidia's game filters option, but fundamentally the difference is this: T2X both filmic and simple are temporal AA solutions, and so is DLSS, that means they will be blurrier/ghostier than SMAA 1x which does simple AA based on edge-detection. 1x means you'll have a sharper, rougher image but without the ghosting/blurriness, while with temporal solutions the image will have more stability in terms of shimmering, specular aliasing etc. with the trade-offs of blurring/ghosting.

The only ways to improve on that are: a) get so much GPU horse power that you can run with no AA and supersample the image (i.e. run at 5K); b) get more GPU power so that you can run at a higher fps and/or resolution with temporal solutions because unlike SMAA and the like they scale up in image quality as you increase resolutions and fps (because temporal solutions depend on the previous frames, so the quicker the frames the harder it will be to notice the frame-to-frame transitions etc).

Associate
I personally used it un Cyberpunk when I had a 3080 FTW3, and I noticed the difference in quality as well as artifacts right away. In top of the fact that things get blurry the moment you move the camera fast. So I decided to sell it and buy a 6900XT which works much better for my needs.

Permabanned
I personally used it un Cyberpunk when I had a 3080 FTW3, and I noticed the difference in quality as well as artifacts right away. In top of the fact that things get blurry the moment you move the camera fast. So I decided to sell it and buy a 6900XT which works much better for my needs.

I found with my 3080 that Cyberpunk2077 could run above 70fps at 4k with quality DLSS on, but on my 6800XT , max fps was 30-40fps at 4K (unplayable).

Permabanned
Bro that is the first thing I do when I open a game for the first time lol It only happened when turning on DLSS

Some games fail to set LOD bias properly for DLSS, CP2077 being one of them, with the result that textures look more blurred than they should. It could be corrected via an ini setting. Personally I use DLSS Quality at 1440p whenever I can, which looks great, especially with the newer versions of 2.x.

Associate
Yes the lod issues are pretty bad in many games but even ignoring that I've found that even quality mode introduces more blur than I would like at 3440x1440, I needed the framerate in cyberpunk and metro but have left it off in most other games I'm playing which support it (control,mw5, Doom, b4b, cod) Fidelity FX is even worse (fc6), everything bar ultra quality looks like a hot wax filter with sharpening.(obvious hyperbole guys)
If Nvidia could implement an ultra quality mode at say 80% native I think that might work for me.
Not sure AMD can do anything which would convince me until they have a temporal solution.

I'm not completely knocking the technology, there is a really good reason to use resolution scaling when heavy raytracing is occurring, it reduces the ray load by more than a linear ratio so you should get more significant performance increases than in traditional raster only games.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Some games fail to set LOD bias properly for DLSS, CP2077 being one of them, with the result that textures look more blurred than they should. It could be corrected via an ini setting. Personally I use DLSS Quality at 1440p whenever I can, which looks great, especially with the newer versions of 2.x.

And Warzone... It's bloody blurry with DLSS on! - Thankfully I can use the 457 drivers and enable Sharpen to clear that right up without the performance hit of later drivers using Geforce Experience to do it

Soldato
The blur and ghosting as well as the lower-res pre-reconstruction frames are very obvious with DLSS, as they are with other temporal reconstruction techniques, when doing horizontal camera pans and fast moving camera pans because the image doesn't have time to "settle" so that the illusion is maintained. That's why you'll always see these techniques showcased by people walking straight and doing very slow sideways camera pans if any at all. Fences, wires and vegetation especially in the background are the worst for these types of techniques.

Back
Top Bottom