• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Soldato
I'm impressed. The power draw could be a problem in certain circumstances, but Intel can now say they have the fastest gaming CPU's for a while (power seems okay when gaming) and they managed to be competitive in multi-threaded applications.

I hope the competirion between Intel and AMD doesn't allow either company to stay on top for long.

Soldato
The i9 sort of feels disappointing, but I’m not the target audience for that anyway. I’m sure to many, it’s amazing.
From the couple of 12600k reviews I’ve seen, it looks like a great chip.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Plenty of people were saying ryzen was smashing it in games last year yet the difference was even smaller vs intel 10th at the time.

Screenshot-183.png

Screenshot-184.png
Well I guess they were wrong too then. I would not use the word smashing it for single digit percentage gains. Only thing I can say is maybe AMD were smashing it in terms of the run they were with Zen architecture since Bulldozer as they really came a long way and finally beating Intel in gaming after like over a decade probably. Context does matter :)

Soldato
It feels like Intel is happy to delay its launches to build up stock. I believe they are doing the same with their graphics cards, they could launch them today but are waiting another 2 months to build stock

AMD rushed to launch with Zen 3 with little inventory in order to get the drop on Intel. Not that they needed to, but this is how they tend to operate.

12900K. People still have more money than sense. The 12600K was always going to be good enough for 99% of people. May the tax man catch up with them.

Would you like some cream for that envy?

Last edited:
Caporegime
This aged well.... :D

12900k delivers best gaming performance, while using similar power draw to a 5950x while gaming. I must admit, I wasn't expecting powerdraw to be that low during games!
Power draw under gaming is better than I thought it would be back then and I’m sure others probably think the same. Credit where credit is due tbh.

Soldato
OP
Power draw under gaming is better than I thought it would be back then and I’m sure others probably think the same. Credit where credit is due tbh.

its not surprising to me at all, I told you guys Intel CPUs don't use that much power while gaming weeks ago. The reason is because a game can't hammer the CPU like a synthetic benchmark can and a game will never be able to

Associate
its not surprising to me at all, I told you guys Intel CPUs don't use that much power while gaming weeks ago. The reason is because a game can't hammer the CPU like a synthetic benchmark can and a game will never be able to
I don’t think any of them tested a truly demanding CPU limited area in any game which maxed out the CPU.

Caporegime
I don’t think any of them tested a truly demanding CPU limited area in any game which maxed out the CPU.
Yes, it would be interesting to see if that low power draw is present in something like Doom Eternal, which will put load on each core/thread, or even something like Warzone which can use more threads.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
As I recall Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation does a good job of loading the CPU. At least the benchmark did anyway. Maybe people should try that.

Associate
That area behind Tom’s Diner in Cyberpunk 2077 is THE most CPU intensive area I have ever seen amongst all games I have played. The NPC spawns maxed out my 9900k to 100% even at 4K on all cores with GPU usage going down to 80%. This area also maxed out the 5900X in all the vids I have seen. Someone should test out this area to see how the 12900k does in this area.

Soldato
That area behind Tom’s Diner in Cyberpunk 2077 is THE most CPU intensive area I have ever seen amongst all games I have played. The NPC spawns maxed out my 9900k to 100% even at 4K on all cores with GPU usage going down to 80%. This area also maxed out the 5900X in all the vids I have seen. Someone should test out this area to see how the 12900k does in this area.

Battlefield 5 says hold my beer

Soldato

My 11900k uses much less power when gaming compared to Blender etc, even when one core is at 5.4Ghz, another two are at 5.3Ghz and the rest are at 5.1Ghz. Was a very fun CPU to overclock, though I got very lucky with a SP90 quality chip. Hoping my 12900k is of the same tier, though I doubt it!

Early batches of 11900k were much better clockers overall, I'm wondering if it'l be the same for the 12900k, which is why I wanted to secure one from the first batches (thanks OCUK!) at all costs :p

Last edited:
Soldato

Yeah I'm still very surprised at this, I expected power draw to be better than the 11900k, but not better than the 5950x!

The graph below is from WCCFtech (https://wccftech.com/review/intel-c...-wifi-g-skill-trident-z5-ddr5-6000-memory/15/)

They include DOOM (2016) in their benchmark suite, which to my memory, was the far more CPU bottlenecked compared to the newer Doom Eternal. My 6700k was maxxed out pretty much with Doom 2016, while it handled Doom Eternal easily, thanks to Vulkan.

So, even for AMD fans, going into next year with the energy price cap being increased and electricity bills surging, the 12900k will be the best choice for gaming for both performance and for energy efficiency. Mind = blown.

GjxwJlp.png

Associate
You know to the uninitiated this terminology could get you banned :cry:

lol esp here..

But, yeah. On the 5950X for example I'd easily see 150w in some maps with PBO limits free.

btw over a sample size of 10+ we are only seeing 80+ sp for 900k with more than half in 90’s which is great. Making a v/f table db as well for comparisons later. Anything in the 90’s at 5.3 has a v/f point right around 1.3 or upto 20mv below. 80’s start 1.32 ish.

Meanwhile 600k are quite meh hovering between mid 40’s to mid 60’s which is a surprise to us given it’s a different die altogether. Haven’t seen any 700k yet. We were actually wondering if the ASUS bios is scaling the 600k to the 900k expected frequencies and thinking it’s not good enough and knocking down its rating?

Back
Top Bottom