• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Soldato
Hi there

For a change its great to see a manufacturer give us 1000's of units to have on the shelf, that is how a launch should be, good work Intel.
Still all CPU's in stock, but 12900K retail numbers are now less than 100 units left, around 300ish tray left though so we be good.

Hopefully motherboard and DDR5 manufacturers will catch up! Plenty of DDR4 3600 kits in stock and also at amazing prices too. Also about to do some deals on Gigabyte 3333MHz and 3733MHz DDR4 kits at very cheap prices.

Great launch from Intel, with huge amounts of stock. :)

OCUK have been great this lauch fair play, so much more stock than anywhere else. Can you give us a rough ballpark how many 12900k's you've sold? Between 1000-5000, or numbers even greater than this? :eek:

Also, how does it compare to the Ryzen 5000 series launch/stock/sales from your perspective?

Soldato
I'm wondering if it is double the power usage vs the 5950X in games? It is in all core workloads i guess, but what about gaming loads?

This aged well.... :D

12900k delivers best gaming performance, while using similar power draw to a 5950x while gaming. I must admit, I wasn't expecting powerdraw to be that low during games!

OcUK Staff
OCUK have been great this lauch fair play, so much more stock than anywhere else. Can you give us a rough ballpark how many 12900k's you've sold? Between 1000-5000, or numbers even greater than this? :eek:

Also, how does it compare to the Ryzen 5000 series launch/stock/sales from your perspective?

12900k is around 500 sold, it’s most popular SKU. The rest were a bit slow but sales are now accelerating especially the 12600K.

AMD launch had far less stock but the demand was even higher.

Once motherboard supply catches up the sales will boost, DDR5 will help too but a decent DDR4 3600 kit is all you need.

Associate

I wonder how many have been cancelled

Soldato
Not seen anything like that myself and I have watched HUB and read TechPowerUp reviews. We are talking about single percentages here (not even in all games as some Zen 3 is still ahead) and that is when at 720p/1080p. When at 4K the difference is 1.4% based on TPU’s review showing averages from all games benched. So would not call that smashing it personally
Plenty of people were saying ryzen was smashing it in games last year yet the difference was even smaller vs intel 10th at the time.

Screenshot-183.png

Screenshot-184.png

Soldato
OP
Plenty of people were saying ryzen was smashing it in games last year yet the difference was even smaller vs intel 10th at the time.

Screenshot-183.png

Screenshot-184.png

Yep I remember that lol.

On average ryzen 5000 was a minor improvement vs Intel.

But if you remove the average and look at the outliers, that's where the differences were - ryzen 5000 smashed it in specific esports titles and that's why pro esports teams last year switched to ryzen from Intel.

Intel has made up that ground in esports this time and is now on par or beating ryzen 5000, leaving 10th and 11th gen in its dust.

Soldato
Yep I remember that lol.

On average ryzen 5000 was a minor improvement vs Intel.

But if you remove the average and look at the outliers, that's where the differences were - ryzen 5000 smashed it in specific esports titles and that's why pro esports teams last year switched to ryzen from Intel.

Intel has made up that ground in esports this time and is now on par or beating ryzen 5000, leaving 10th and 11th gen in its dust.
I guess it's going to be costly for the esports gamers switching back and forth every gen.

Associate
12900k is around 500 sold, it’s most popular SKU. The rest were a bit slow but sales are now accelerating especially the 12600K.

Once motherboard supply catches up the sales will boost, DDR5 will help too but a decent DDR4 3600 kit is all you need.
12900K. People still have more money than sense. The 12600K was always going to be good enough for 99% of people. May the tax man catch up with them.

Caporegime

any idea on when budget boards will come 100 -120 quid range ?

Associate
Ddr5 has almost nothing to do with it...

There are obvious outliers where the DDR5 bandwidth is playing a part. Programs where the SSD is being drip fed or not needed such as Cinebench or Handbrake and certain Adobe programs are enjoying the bandwidth. I'd say programs that don't access the SSD much or can stay within memory will enjoy DDR5.

Soldato
amazing how intel got different core types to work simultaneously together.
iv seen these arm cpus which are a total joke and waste of die space. eg:
https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/mediatek/helio/mt6797

the Helio X20,
specs:
Extreme Performance - 2x Cortex-A72 @ 2.3 GHz
Performance/Power Balance - 4x Cortex-A53 @ 1.85 GHz
Power Efficiency - 4x Cortex-A53 @ 1.4 GHz

firstly all cores cant work simultaneously they are split into groups and only one group can work at one time.
secondly why 2 groups of A53 cores? they cant change clock speeds like speedstep etc? so have to just slap in more cores at fixed clock speeds?

Associate
You can also see the major weakness of these processors. If they were that efficient where are the HEDT versions. If these were released with high core counts and the E-cores removed with say 16/24/32/64 P-cores to match Threadripper then they would be hotter than the sun when a render hit these bad boys. You would be looking at a what, at least 5-600 watt cpu. Sorry but not impresed. They may be good figures with games that don't really stress CPU's at the moment but look at some of the render benchmarks and Ryzen is still king. I think personally, heavier loads still favour AMD.

Soldato
OP
You can also see the major weakness of these processors. If they were that efficient where are the HEDT versions. If these were released with high core counts and the E-cores removed with say 16/24/32/64 P-cores to match Threadripper then they would be hotter than the sun when a render hit these bad boys. You would be looking at a what, at least 5-600 watt cpu. Sorry but not impresed. They may be good figures with games that don't really stress CPU's at the moment but look at some of the render benchmarks and Ryzen is still king. I think personally, heavier loads still favour AMD.

Yep HEDT MIA.

Don't know if its ever coming back or at least not for a long time.

Intel will only make Core series and Xeon series now and the next Xeon is called Sapphire Rapids and its launching in 2022 - Sapphire Rapids uses the same Golden cove big cores as Alder Lake (no little cores) and its built on the Intel 7 node.

Last edited:
Caporegime
HEDT are for high load MT workloads, i don't know how many Golden Cove cores Intel intent to put in to Sapphire Rapids but it need's to be a significant number to be faster than AMD's existing 3990X, which is 3X as fast as a 5950X, so at least 3X... 4X as many Golden Cove cores as are in the 12900K, that's looking like a 750 Watt CPU, that's no exaggeration.

Back
Top Bottom