• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD on the road to recovery.

Permabanned
AMD CPUs and APUs still outsell their Intel counterparts 3.3 to 1 in the DIY retailers.

Let's see next 3-4 months if the Alder Lake would change anything. I doubt.

Soldato
AMD CPUs and APUs still outsell their Intel counterparts 3.3 to 1 in the DIY retailers.

Let's see next 3-4 months if the Alder Lake would change anything. I doubt.

I hate to point it out but the stat is utterly meaningless when Intel outsell AMD 7:3 across the PC market (which includes DIY). Sure AMD outsell Intel in a few niche segments but it’s utterly irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

What’s good is there is competition pushing both companies forward. But fanboyism in the DIY space is both unhelpful and ridiculous.

Permabanned
I hate to point it out but the stat is utterly meaningless when Intel outsell AMD 7:3 across the PC market (which includes DIY). Sure AMD outsell Intel in a few niche segments but it’s utterly irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

What’s good is there is competition pushing both companies forward. But fanboyism in the DIY space is both unhelpful and ridiculous.

There is no fanboyism in the DIY. It's the cleanest and most objective because it cancels the dirty corporate affairs and deals under the table which sell the inferior Intel products to the likes of HP, Dell and Lenovo!

Soldato
What do people think of the Steam surveys? Had a quick look earlier and Intel seemed to have nearly 70% of the market share still, of Steam users at least.

Seems like Intel is turning a corner now. Watched a few reviews and the 12900K seems pretty decent with some negatives largely talked away with expectation of better results with Windows 11. Good Windows 11 compatibility and performance, DDR5, I can see the appeal. Just a bit behind with efficiency still.

Want all three companies to do well tbh, should be good for the consumer.

AMD is catching Intel's market cap but Intel is trading on a low PE ratio which might change over the coming years

Soldato
There is no fanboyism in the DIY. It's the cleanest and most objective because it cancels the dirty corporate affairs and deals under the table which sell the inferior Intel products to the likes of HP, Dell and Lenovo!

No it doesn’t, to put it simply, AMD can’t supply the PC market with its ‘better’ product because it doesn’t have sufficient supply.

Intel offering volume discounts to system integrators who buy tens of thousands of CPUs a week isn’t dirty underhand tactics, it’s the reality of the how things work when you buy large volumes of the same thing in any industry.

Dell, HP and Lenovo have AMD SKUs but if wanted to replace their entire line up with AMD they couldn’t because AMD couldn’t sell them the chips in the required volumes. It’s really that simple.

Permabanned
No it doesn’t, to put it simply, AMD can’t supply the PC market with its ‘better’ product because it doesn’t have sufficient supply.

Intel offering volume discounts to system integrators who buy tens of thousands of CPUs a week isn’t dirty underhand tactics, it’s the reality of the how things work when you buy large volumes of the same thing in any industry.

Dell, HP and Lenovo have AMD SKUs but if wanted to replace their entire line up with AMD they couldn’t because AMD couldn’t sell them the chips in the required volumes. It’s really that simple.

I doubt that anyone expects or is saying that AMD should supply 100% of the PC CPUs shipments overnight.
What I am saying is that there is a very strong resistance in many companies to change, hence the AMD market share improves slowly!

Associate
I doubt that anyone expects or is saying that AMD should supply 100% of the PC CPUs shipments overnight.
What I am saying is that there is a very strong resistance in many companies to change, hence the AMD market share improves slowly!
and the market is changing. AMD's supply is very good under the current conditions. It is also true that Intel can run it's 'contra revenue' (bribes) program as effectively now but tied in contracts are still in abundance. Money talks (including the WH lobbyists).

Soldato
and the market is changing. AMD's supply is very good under the current conditions. It is also true that Intel can run it's 'contra revenue' (bribes) program as effectively now but tied in contracts are still in abundance. Money talks (including the WH lobbyists).
AMD should take a page out Nvidia's and diversify it's manufacturing. I know they still use Global Foundries for some stuff but for logic chips TSMC has all their business, moving some product lines to Samsung would certainly reduce their risk on being wholly reliant on one company for all their CPU chiplets and GPU supply.

Soldato
Agree with the above, being tied to TMSC is a big risk. Likewise, they need to be on top of threats other than Intel.

Arm based hardware is a bigger long term strategic threat to their business than almost anything else. If Microsoft finally pull their finger out and get Windows properly working on Arm with good Rosetta 2 style X86 emulation we will see a flood of Arm based laptops hitting the market.

It’s largely a software problem at this point and while I’m sure both Intel and AMD are lobbying MS hard to kick that can down the road, it’s only a matter of time.

Remember, ARM doesn’t need to be faster than X86 to be successful, it just needs to be good enough while offering its traditional benefits of super low power consumption to take a huge chunk of the laptop space off X86 (which basically is the PC market at this point). Let’s be realistic, the chip inside the latest iPhone/iPad is more computer than the vast majority of people need.

Once you take that cash cow off X86, the high end, powerful chips suddenly become very expensive to develop.

If Apple can cut ties with X86, anyone can cut ties with X86 and it’s largely a software problem at this point.

Soldato
Apple cut ties with x86 because of its selfish financial interest. Has nothing to do with technology and development.

Apple is only interested in closed technology that it can control and monetise.

being at the top of the pile you are always threatened by the people behind you. That is true in industries and as old as kings and queens. Nothing new here.

Long as AMD/Intel can keep up with refining their core designs and improve efficiency etc they will be relevant for a foreseeable future.

Apple chip whilst is impressive they are not on par or near on par with equivalent x86 chips and what they can do. Also remember Apples CPU is quite power hungry for ARM based design.

you don’t get free performances out of nothing.

Soldato
Agree with the above, being tied to TMSC is a big risk. Likewise, they need to be on top of threats other than Intel.

Arm based hardware is a bigger long term strategic threat to their business than almost anything else. If Microsoft finally pull their finger out and get Windows properly working on Arm with good Rosetta 2 style X86 emulation we will see a flood of Arm based laptops hitting the market.

It’s largely a software problem at this point and while I’m sure both Intel and AMD are lobbying MS hard to kick that can down the road, it’s only a matter of time.

Remember, ARM doesn’t need to be faster than X86 to be successful, it just needs to be good enough while offering its traditional benefits of super low power consumption to take a huge chunk of the laptop space off X86 (which basically is the PC market at this point). Let’s be realistic, the chip inside the latest iPhone/iPad is more computer than the vast majority of people need.

Once you take that cash cow off X86, the high end, powerful chips suddenly become very expensive to develop.

If Apple can cut ties with X86, anyone can cut ties with X86 and it’s largely a software problem at this point.

Moving away from TSMC is bigger risk though.

Neither can Intel, unless you are including 22 and 14nm along with 10nm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
OP
AMD should take a page out Nvidia's and diversify it's manufacturing. I know they still use Global Foundries for some stuff but for logic chips TSMC has all their business, moving some product lines to Samsung would certainly reduce their risk on being wholly reliant on one company for all their CPU chiplets and GPU supply.

Yeah i agree with that too.

Moving away from TSMC is bigger risk though.

Neither can Intel, unless you are including 22 and 14nm along with 10nm.

Not moving away just diversifying.

Associate
Back
Top Bottom