Kids these days, eh?

Soldato
It's nothing new, just pop culture has gone a bit nasty (idolising rap/grime/urban artists and the scene it often creates (misogyny, drugs, violence))... that and almost every single kid likes the same thing these days. Long gone are the days of the mods and rockers, even when I was growing up 20 years ago, there were so few kids who liked metal/rock etc. Nowadays, it seems like there are even fewer.

Soldato
Kids tend to be little ***** at that age but this is on another level. He was either on something at the time or a psychopath to inflict that amount of damage to his body.

The issue for me is where this behavior has been learned. Watching an older brother play GTA? Unrestricted access to the internet? Trauma they witnessed as a child? The blame has to be pointed at the parents somewhat. They've raised a monster.

Soldato
The issue for me is where this behavior has been learned. Watching an older brother play GTA? Unrestricted access to the internet? Trauma they witnessed as a child? The blame has to be pointed at the parents somewhat. They've raised a monster.

Always starts at home. A safe and secure upbringing wouldn't lead anyone to thinking this was an OK course of action to take.

Caporegime
Aren't they just little tinkers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-59206095

Now reading around it's not entirely clear on the motive but a few sources suggest it was a drug debt. How does a 12 year old end up with a drug debt to a 14 year old?! How does a 14 year old then decide to attempt to remove the head and hands of the guy he's just stabbed 70 times?
12/13 is usually when people get introduced to alcohol/other stuff

it's kinda easy for them to go from shop lifting and petty theft to stealing cars, robbing houses or whatever else you associate with adult crime.

they quickly learn being arrested means nothing at their ages

Soldato
Teens go around the shops in groups and swear at customers and shop staff. One of the shops has loose roof tiles and climb up to the roof and pelt bits at people walking down down the road and thrown them at cars, causing damage.

Why can’t teens now go around to each other’s houses and play console games, watch films like myself and many others did? People say that youth clubs need to be brought back. Hardly anyone used them as a kid/teen. As there was just one pool table, one pinball machine and nothing else. It was crap.

Soldato
Teens go around the shops in groups and swear at customers and shop staff. One of the shops has loose roof tiles and climb up to the roof and pelt bits at people walking down down the road and thrown them at cars, causing damage.

Why can’t teens now go around to each other’s houses and play console games, watch films like myself and many others did? People say that youth clubs need to be brought back. Hardly anyone used them as a kid/teen. As there was just one pool table, one pinball machine and nothing else. It was crap.

I was just thinking this had turned into a cheesefest style thread. Welcome aboard.

Soldato
It's nothing new, just pop culture has gone a bit nasty (idolising rap/grime/urban artists and the scene it often creates (misogyny, drugs, violence))... that and almost every single kid likes the same thing these days. Long gone are the days of the mods and rockers, even when I was growing up 20 years ago, there were so few kids who liked metal/rock etc. Nowadays, it seems like there are even fewer.

The days of traditional mods and rockers doesn't exist because that kind of music isn't mainstream anymore. We've also lost the social scene because it's far too expensive to do on a regular basis.

Also, let's not pretend that rock and roll of days gone is clean cut. :cry: 'misogyny, drugs, violence' are we forgetting that John Lennon wrote entire albums on LSD and beat his wife? Music of the past is not clean cut by any means.

Soldato
The days of traditional mods and rockers doesn't exist because that kind of music isn't mainstream anymore. We've also lost the social scene because it's far too expensive to do on a regular basis.

Also, let's not pretend that rock and roll of days gone is clean cut. :cry: 'misogyny, drugs, violence' are we forgetting that John Lennon wrote entire albums on LSD and beat his wife? Music of the past is not clean cut by any means.

This is all very true. The stuff my parents listened to as teens (Rolling Stones etc) was way different (and more innocent) from what I listened to as a teen (all the way from Eminem to Slayer). The difference I guess is that the John Lennon example, he wasn't popularising the details in the music, whereas that's what seems to happen now.

Soldato
This thread seems to be old men lamenting the folly of the young'uns.

I don't think most teenagers are any worse than when I was young. Teenage boys fight and act up, and it's always been like that.

I think there's a lot of rose-tinted spectacles on here.

Soldato

I don't think most teenagers are any worse than when I was young. Teenage boys fight and act up, and it's always been like that.

Much more eloquently put than I could do it.

Soldato
This is all very true. The stuff my parents listened to as teens (Rolling Stones etc) was way different (and more innocent) from what I listened to as a teen (all the way from Eminem to Slayer). The difference I guess is that the John Lennon example, he wasn't popularising the details in the music, whereas that's what seems to happen now.

More innocent? It's maybe not as obvious as Eminem, but the sexual references are obvious in honky tonk woman, brown sugar, start me up.. it goes on. It's probably harder to find a stone's track that isn't sexually suggestive. :D

Also, John Lennon references it in 'getting better'. Not their most popular, but it's still a well known fact.

I know the point you're making, I agree that it's more obvious in modern music, but older music is just as edgy for the times.

Caporegime
Finding somewhere to skate. Planning what to do at a weekend with your mates, do we go to the cinema, maybe chill at the beach, organise a full size football game? Split screen n64 action?

My daughter is 14 and does exactly that. She was at the fair with her mates during holidays. Went to the Cinema last weekend and just general hanging out and going to the shops. Just she plays Fortnite online with her friends instead of N64.

Nothing has changed. You had wronguns back then. Just look at the Bulger killers. It is just now with social media it is everywhere to see and all it highlights is how inept the government is at tackling it. We all had Sunday school and social clubs as a kid plus beavers and scouts. A lot of these things have been considerably cut back over the years.

Soldato

+1

Soldato

I couldn't recollect country lines gangs or drug dealers at school or kids carrying weapons at school etc when I was growing up.

Sure there were a few scuffles and a few who liked to steal but nowadays it's about gangland culture and respect, whatever that means to these kids.

Soldato
I couldn't recollect country lines gangs or drug dealers at school or kids carrying weapons at school etc when I was growing up.

Sure there were a few scuffles and a few who liked to steal but nowadays it's about gangland culture and respect, whatever that means to these kids.
Guess how many of these pre-dated 90's kids:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_firms_(organised_crime)

Just because you had a sheltered upbringing and lack of "news" doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Back
Top Bottom