Show Us Your Motors!

Soldato
I'd love to drive that DBX and laughably compare it my other half's Kuga - this isn't a bait post, honest - the Kuga is an utterly terrible drive in ALL aspects but it's a necessary tool at reasonable price point. I'd like to think the DBX would be awesome and prove that SUVs can be enjoyable to drive, but at a price.

Soldato
51670735175_b95c36061e_h.jpg

On track today.

I quite like it but seeing it in that environment looks all kinds of wrong (sorry) :)

Caporegime
I think it is mainly due to the general hate from pistonheads for SUV's in general. Aston could have made that into an estate or shooting break and not only would it look 100% better but its road going characteristic would have been better as well. (Although I am sure its roadgoing characteristic are plenty good already).

They are simply making a car to market demands and profiling.

SUV's have their place in the realms of Land Cruisers and Discoveries but that's where it ends for me at least but that is why the world is a fantastic place because everyone has different tastes. :)

Astons are making SUVS because of the huge profits in them. The Cayenne saved Porsche. They make more money from the Cayenne than all the rest of the cars they make.

So if it allows AM to keep making stunning looking and driving cars then I am all for them making pig ugly SUVs if enough people want to buy them.

Man of Honour
Hah the DBX is far from ugly, the back they kind of didn't seem to know what to do with like a lot of SUVs. There are some truly terrible SUVs but some decent ones as well.

OcUK Staff
That Aston still has "it" :cool:

Yep it is one of those cars that you think I wish this was better, but you start driving it and then you just forget about those bits, lovely to cruise in but it also feels really good when pushing on, lots of feedback, though its by no mean an E46 M3 but its willing to work with you and well it is an Aston so looks and sounds awesome.

Soldato
Piston heads is the classic gate keeping “enthusiast” type of site which unless you drive an sub 1500kg n/a 6 cyl+ rwd manual car you are basically a “normie” who may as well have an electric A to B car. Totally against the grain for me as a car enthusiast they go way too far down the path to essentially elitism.

The way the DBX handles is simply insane, the anti roll bar tech works and makes the car change direction nicely. Braking is where the weight and higher position are felt as you cannot mitigate the weight transfer forward. It weighs nearly 2.3t so you’d expect that.

Yeah if Aston did a 4 door saloon/estate you could actually use practically(Rapide not with standing as practicality is woeful). Than I probably would have gone that way. I am enjoying SUV life though, I live rurally so being able to go over poorly surfaced roads, mud, flood water is a benefit.

I would upload my gopro videos onto YouTube to share on here but I can’t be arsed now as I’ll have to deal with the armchair pro racing drivers critiquing my driving too.

Please do. I'd be quite interested in seeing how it performs on track, as I must admit I've been a bit sceptical about the claims of performance SUVs. I bet that most people who buy them aren't really interested in their dynamics, so it's nice to see someone actually taking it to a track.

Oh, and yeah, agree about Pistonheads. Used to browse there quite a lot, but realised it was mainly full of dickheads.

OcUK Staff
Please do. I'd be quite interested in seeing how it performs on track, as I must admit I've been a bit sceptical about the claims of performance SUVs. I bet that most people who buy them aren't really interested in their dynamics, so it's nice to see someone actually taking it to a track.

Oh, and yeah, agree about Pistonheads. Used to browse there quite a lot, but realised it was mainly full of dickheads.

One should never under estimate them, particular this time of year as on the correct tyre in cold/wet/greasy conditions they can find immense grip, I've been in a Cayenne on track with a racing driver in greasy conditions, needless to say it destroyed everything, of course the driver made a big difference, as the same driver in a MK5 Golf Diesel in a dry day at Donnington was over taking much faster on paper cars, the driver is always the biggest element but having been in a Cayenne and RR SVR driven on track in anger they can be very capable and with the DBX from Aston been one of the latest and greatest it is no doubt superb at covering ground rapidly, just don't expect the feel and lightness of a race car because on track weight can be soon felt. I drove a DB11 around Outlon Park couple of weeks ago which would have been 2 tonne nearly but I really enjoyed it, more so than the 570S and Gallardo Superleggaraaraa whatever it was, huge torque from the twin turbo V12 but it was happy to rev out and it actually made an OK noise too, Lambo won that though and the Mclaren sounded woeful, chassis was superb but the engine was just a huge let down.

Man of Honour
Yep it is one of those cars that you think I wish this was better, but you start driving it and then you just forget about those bits, lovely to cruise in but it also feels really good when pushing on, lots of feedback, though its by no mean an E46 M3 but its willing to work with you and well it is an Aston so looks and sounds awesome.
I did find myself glancing at the early models the other day, thinking what a nice daily car that would be for not a lot of money....if it doesn't go wrong.

OcUK Staff
I did find myself glancing at the early models the other day, thinking what a nice daily car that would be for not a lot of money....if it doesn't go wrong.

Yeah the early 4.3's are still superb value for money, I am not sure if the 4.3 or 4.7, if one is more reliable than the other, you do hear of people having issues but touch wood mine has been totally trouble free, OK admittedly its not done much mileage, was around 22-23k miles at purchase, just about to clock over 30k miles but its never had a major issue, needed a accessory belt tensioner but Aston covered the cost.

They are not fast by todays standards but they do offer older Porsche steering feel along with fantastic looks and noise, of course if your after a daily then you should also consider a 987.2 or 997.2 car, still arguably the best road cars ever made for feel and enjoyment at legal speeds, absolutely love my Spyder, though seems I did well to get one as I think now there is only one or two for sale. A Cayman or Boxster 987.2 are great buys, huge fun to pedal fast and very reliable cars.

Man of Honour
Yeah the early 4.3's are still superb value for money, I am not sure if the 4.3 or 4.7, if one is more reliable than the other, you do hear of people having issues but touch wood mine has been totally trouble free, OK admittedly its not done much mileage, was around 22-23k miles at purchase, just about to clock over 30k miles but its never had a major issue, needed a accessory belt tensioner but Aston covered the cost.

They are not fast by todays standards but they do offer older Porsche steering feel along with fantastic looks and noise, of course if your after a daily then you should also consider a 987.2 or 997.2 car, still arguably the best road cars ever made for feel and enjoyment at legal speeds, absolutely love my Spyder, though seems I did well to get one as I think now there is only one or two for sale. A Cayman or Boxster 987.2 are great buys, huge fun to pedal fast and very reliable cars.
My dad just bought another 997.2 to replace his Cayenne. Paid pretty much what he paid 7 years ago too. Crazy market.

OcUK Staff
My dad just bought another 997.2 to replace his Cayenne. Paid pretty much what he paid 7 years ago too. Crazy market.

Yes Porsche has the biggest bubble to go pop, insane prices right now, hopefully around Jan-Feb they might soften a bit but once Spring/Summer hits can see prices rocketing north again and the clock is ticking, fun cars be a thing of the past soon.

Soldato

Ok just for you I'm uploading a video.

One should never under estimate them, particular this time of year as on the correct tyre in cold/wet/greasy conditions they can find immense grip, I've been in a Cayenne on track with a racing driver in greasy conditions, needless to say it destroyed everything, of course the driver made a big difference, as the same driver in a MK5 Golf Diesel in a dry day at Donnington was over taking much faster on paper cars, the driver is always the biggest element but having been in a Cayenne and RR SVR driven on track in anger they can be very capable and with the DBX from Aston been one of the latest and greatest it is no doubt superb at covering ground rapidly, just don't expect the feel and lightness of a race car because on track weight can be soon felt. I drove a DB11 around Outlon Park couple of weeks ago which would have been 2 tonne nearly but I really enjoyed it, more so than the 570S and Gallardo Superleggaraaraa whatever it was, huge torque from the twin turbo V12 but it was happy to rev out and it actually made an OK noise too, Lambo won that though and the Mclaren sounded woeful, chassis was superb but the engine was just a huge let down.

Yeah the car really does wonders on track. It's like anything, you have to be aware of it's weakness'. Steering is really incredible on the new Astons imo. Car gave me no issues on track either, which can't be said for other cars I've had (GTR), which is embarassing really. I'm not one to pose around with my cars as many "perfomance SUV" destractors would believe is owners do. I can go to Waitrose, drive to a shoot, get the dogs in the car, drive cross country loaded up or go on track, all in one car. Pretty wide breathd of abilities imo.

I drove a V12 DB11 recently too (pre AMR), so no suspension tweaks and less power. Loved the V12 but really struggled to put the power down, ended up feeling like a nice car to cruise in (which it is), rather than something to sling around, which I guess is exactly the point of the DB11 I guess. I'm having a DBS on loan next week so that will be interesting as they are more focussed. Although Im secretly waiting for the V12 vantage and potentially the new Vanquish if they do decide to go down the mid engine V6 route.

Back
Top Bottom